Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Owners in Alberta

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Very poor reporting but I see the Journal adjusted down the number of cars in Calgary.
My daughter works in media relations and suggested a phone call to the editor could correct the other inaccuracies.

Also Looks like they may have mixed your interview with David Dodge who writes for Green Energy Futures.
He may have mentioned this announcement from FIAT last year where the cars are powering homes.

FIAT 500e to Power Homes
Video Clip

My daughter works in media relations and suggested a phone call to the editor could correct the other inaccuracies.

I did indeed send of an email, so I see my name and as you mentioned, the calgary number got corrected (I didn't bother pointing out the 460km attributed to my car aspect, its minor). The reporter maintains the car powering the grid is accurate, so she kept it in - while confirming to me her knowledge of the powerwall (ok?).

Footbag, I see there an article in today's Edmonton Journal with a photo of the Mayor, you and your car.
Congrats for get even more exposure for TELSA in Edmonton.
I'm somewhat surprised Calgary has twice the number of cars than Edmonton but it's not like we're competitive or anything :wink:

Last edited:
@M1ker I suspect I met you briefly at the Golden supercharger, good looking car you had there, and sorry I didn't have time to chat! Glad you enjoyed your trip!
No problem green1, we'll meet eventually. I'm in the process of editing the video of our return trip, some excellent shots of the rough weather we went through. The lightrunnner made it through beautifully, and more importantly without a scratch!

Tesla Model S drive home from Disneyland Nov13-15/2015

3100KM's driven, 62 hours traveling, 15 superchargers visited, 5 family meals, $0.00 in electricity costs for the drive, 2 Motel Stays, 1 Mass attended and my family of six arrives at home safely. Travelled through snow and rain, and a blizzard or two.

This is the second part of our Disneyland trip in a Tesla Model S. video: tesla004 anaheim2calgary - YouTube

Living the dream. Just another day in our lives.

[Mod Note: Removed the referral link. We are not permitting these in the general forum because it was getting rather out of hand. There's a thread for referrals.]

Last edited by a moderator:
Just received the official invite for the Calgary grand opening...

Retail-Store-Interior.png

Tesla Calgary VIP Grand Opening Reception

na-et-en_us-60x66-01.png

Friday, November 20th

na-et-en_us-60x60-01.png

6pm - 8pm

na-et-en_us-48x64-01.png

We know you share our passion for accelerating the world’s transition to sustainable transport, so we’d like to invite you to celebrate the opening of Tesla's first sales location in Alberta. Come enjoy a night of light bites and drinks alongside your fellow Model S, Roadster, and future Model X owners.

If you have family or friends who are interested in joining the Tesla Community please feel free to bring them as your guest. Our team will be happy to walk through Tesla's Referral Program during the event.

We look forward to seeing you.

The Tesla Team

na-et-en_us-160x22-01.png3500 Deer Creek Road | Palo Alto, CA 94304
Privacy Policy |

Last edited:
I just did the Coq, there was no snow on it either direction (Rogers' Pass was a different story!)
AP did great on the Coq, but for 2 issues, 1) the range estimates are out to lunch, most likely because of 2) BC has upped it's speed limits, Tesla's nav doesn't know this, and therefore it keeps popping up speed limit signs on the dash that are wrong, even when it hasn't passed one in a while, they all show about 10kph too low. Additionally, the camera didn't correctly read a single one of the many 120kph signs on the Coq, I suspect it's because the car thinks speed limits don't go that high. it got quite annoying actually.

As for the snow in Rogers pass, no idea how the autopilot would do, because I wasn't stupid enough to use it. You'd have to be remarkably dumb to do something like that. Every cruise control system out there always warns you not to use it on snow or ice, or even in heavy rain, Tesla's system is no different, it should never be used in those conditions under any circumstance.

That said, I can guess how it would do, it would be smarter than the idiot who wanted to use it and simply refuse. I know this because it couldn't see the lane markings, which disabled the steering wheel icon on the dash, and snow packed in to the front radar which disabled the cruise icon on the dash. Both would have been unavailable had I been dumb enough to try them. I did however find that the car performed beautifully, despite being a high performance rear wheel drive car, and despite the many vehicles in the ditch (I counted 2 mini-vans, 3 SUVs, and 8 tractor trailers) I never once felt any slipping, sliding, or loss of traction, the car handled perfectly. of course I also have winter tires (not all seasons) because going through the mountains any other way is asking to be one of those vehicles upside down in the ditch.

- - - Updated - - -

Any Idea if they will have an MX at the Calgary opening?
Highly doubt it. But I bet they left room for one in the design of the store. I just don't think they've built enough of them yet to get them in to the malls.

I just did the Coq, there was no snow on it either direction (Rogers' Pass was a different story!)
AP did great on the Coq, but for 2 issues, 1) the range estimates are out to lunch, most likely because of 2) BC has upped it's speed limits, Tesla's nav doesn't know this, and therefore it keeps popping up speed limit signs on the dash that are wrong, even when it hasn't passed one in a while, they all show about 10kph too low. Additionally, the camera didn't correctly read a single one of the many 120kph signs on the Coq, I suspect it's because the car thinks speed limits don't go that high. it got quite annoying actually.
Heh, welcome to my favourite complaint about energy planning!

The Coq is a problem I've brought to Tesla's attention. What they'll do about it, I don't know. But it's seriously messed up...

Speed limits are wrong and not just 10 km/h low from the speed limit change. I've watched them change on my dash without even going past a speed sign. Anywhere from 110 km/h down to... get this... 30 km/h! If TACC had an ability to automatically adjust to speed limits, there would be tires locking up in a few places... LOL.

I too, have NEVER seen it read or display the 120 km/h. I wondered too if it was considered too high to be plausible, but there must be other places in the world where this limit exists ('all over Europe' would be my assumption!).

The NAV's understanding of the vertical component of the trip also appears to be messed up. Whether you do the new speed limit or slow down to something closer to the 'understood' limit, you'll find that there are places where the predicted energy graph just doesn't track with reality. In other places it's a good match, but then you'll see your line drop like a rock below the predicted and the twinges of range anxiety will start in your bowels.

Leaving Hope when NAV suggests you can is likely not going to get you to Kamloops unless you slow to a crawl. With temperature and harsher weather conditions up in the higher segments of highway, you'd better have extra charge in the battery. The last time I went through, I averaged 265 Wh/km between Hope and Kamloops... doing 110 or less in rainy conditions to around the old toll booths and 5 degrees most of the way. Relatively easy conditions compared to what that road CAN look like...

This highway made me ponder a possible energy app using the crowd-sourced AP data. I might start a thread on that, or write a blog post about my thoughts - too convoluted to add here! :redface:

As for the snow in Rogers pass, no idea how the autopilot would do, because I wasn't stupid enough to use it. You'd have to be remarkably dumb to do something like that. Every cruise control system out there always warns you not to use it on snow or ice, or even in heavy rain, Tesla's system is no different, it should never be used in those conditions under any circumstance.

That said, I can guess how it would do, it would be smarter than the idiot who wanted to use it and simply refuse. I know this because it couldn't see the lane markings, which disabled the steering wheel icon on the dash, and snow packed in to the front radar which disabled the cruise icon on the dash. Both would have been unavailable had I been dumb enough to try them. I did however find that the car performed beautifully, despite being a high performance rear wheel drive car, and despite the many vehicles in the ditch (I counted 2 mini-vans, 3 SUVs, and 8 tractor trailers) I never once felt any slipping, sliding, or loss of traction, the car handled perfectly. of course I also have winter tires (not all seasons) because going through the mountains any other way is asking to be one of those vehicles upside down in the ditch.

- - - Updated - - -

Highly doubt it. But I bet they left room for one in the design of the store. I just don't think they've built enough of them yet to get them in to the malls.

Thanks, you basically answered my not so well worded question of would the AP even be available to use. :smile:

It wasn’t the moment when the car started driving itself that got me. I was expecting that. It was when the car, on autopilot, approached a line of vehicles stopped at a red light. With my foot anxiously hovering over the brake pedal, the car eased itself to a stop and I breathed a little sigh of relief. This autopilot thing just might work.

Reams of ink have been spilled in recent weeks over the release of the new electric Tesla Model S and it’s innovative autopilot mode, which is the car industry’s latest step toward fully autonomous vehicles. Most of that ink has been gushing in praise. So when I was offered a test drive by Tesla, in anticipation of the Friday opening of the U.S. company’s store in Chinook Centre, its first in Calgary, I jumped at the chance.

So why is a guy who spends most of his commuting time on a bike, and the rest of it complaining about having to drive, testing a car? I admit to lacking a little immunity to the tech-industry buzz over Tesla and its founder Elon Musk. And Tesla’s autopilot just sounded really cool. But mostly I’m interested in the implications of autonomous vehicles on our lives.

One of the reasons I love cycling is what it does for cities. I love how people on bikes tend to calm the buzz of traffic. I love how bikes bring a little more humanity to our streets. I love how riding a bike connects us more closely to our communities and neighbourhoods. Cars tend to do the opposite of all of that.

I’ve been closely watching the development of self-driving vehicles for years, mostly with a sense of dread. I’m no futurist, but it’s not a leap to think anything that makes driving easier will make some of our acute urban problems worse. More cars, more congestion, and more demand for limited space.

Still, I’ll refrain from the long-view speculation in favour of the reality facing us right now. Tesla’s Model S isn’t an autonomous vehicle. It still requires an attentive and responsible driver. But being behind the wheel gave me something new to think about.

<snip>
Full article at:
http://calgaryherald.com/news/traff...n-a-bike-blogger-test-drives-teslas-autopilot

Heh, welcome to my favourite complaint about energy planning!

The Coq is a problem I've brought to Tesla's attention. What they'll do about it, I don't know. But it's seriously messed up...

Speed limits are wrong and not just 10 km/h low from the speed limit change. I've watched them change on my dash without even going past a speed sign. Anywhere from 110 km/h down to... get this... 30 km/h! If TACC had an ability to automatically adjust to speed limits, there would be tires locking up in a few places... LOL.

I too, have NEVER seen it read or display the 120 km/h. I wondered too if it was considered too high to be plausible, but there must be other places in the world where this limit exists ('all over Europe' would be my assumption!).

The NAV's understanding of the vertical component of the trip also appears to be messed up. Whether you do the new speed limit or slow down to something closer to the 'understood' limit, you'll find that there are places where the predicted energy graph just doesn't track with reality. In other places it's a good match, but then you'll see your line drop like a rock below the predicted and the twinges of range anxiety will start in your bowels.

Leaving Hope when NAV suggests you can is likely not going to get you to Kamloops unless you slow to a crawl. With temperature and harsher weather conditions up in the higher segments of highway, you'd better have extra charge in the battery. The last time I went through, I averaged 265 Wh/km between Hope and Kamloops... doing 110 or less in rainy conditions to around the old toll booths and 5 degrees most of the way. Relatively easy conditions compared to what that road CAN look like...

This highway made me ponder a possible energy app using the crowd-sourced AP data. I might start a thread on that, or write a blog post about my thoughts - too convoluted to add here! :redface:
I've had a theory that I'm sure someone (green1?) will shoot holes in :) The speed signs on the Coq. appear to have been doctored from their original 110 by adding a 2 over the second 1. I wondered if somehow the new number did not have the same reflective properties as a normal speed sign, thus it either gets ignored (and GPS data is used) or is misread as 110.

I've had a theory that I'm sure someone (green1?) will shoot holes in :) The speed signs on the Coq. appear to have been doctored from their original 110 by adding a 2 over the second 1. I wondered if somehow the new number did not have the same reflective properties as a normal speed sign, thus it either gets ignored (and GPS data is used) or is misread as 110.
ok, hole shooting... none of the 120 signs I saw last week looked "doctored" in any way, in any light condition. I really believe it's a "sanity check" in the software, I bet it reads 120, and then the software says, nope, can't happen, that speed limit doesn't exist around here, must have been misread.

ok, hole shooting... none of the 120 signs I saw last week looked "doctored" in any way, in any light condition. I really believe it's a "sanity check" in the software, I bet it reads 120, and then the software says, nope, can't happen, that speed limit doesn't exist around here, must have been misread.
LOL, sorry Greg, I have to agree with these comments! The font looks slightly narrow perhaps, but still very much a '2'. And they don't look plastered over to me (placards may have been finally swapped out). I've seen the dash change as I pass a sign, suggesting it read the sign and made a decision on its own. Sometimes it would switch to 100, other times to 110. But never 120. I too suspect there is a sanity check happening.

It's frustrating and I always wonder how that incorrect speed limit knowledge contributes to the poor energy prediction accuracy on this route.