Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Paint is Horrible 2023 Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up my new 2023 Model S and immediately took it to be fully wrapped, these are the defects they found, some areas without paint, hair in paint, paint nips

Attachments

• D1CEE73C-85D4-4161-A4D7-FD66286F69D8.jpeg
    D1CEE73C-85D4-4161-A4D7-FD66286F69D8.jpeg
    857.5 KB · Views: 1,076
  • F1431610-844D-4308-8189-8EDE75579702.jpeg
    F1431610-844D-4308-8189-8EDE75579702.jpeg
    855.3 KB · Views: 682
  • 6CF845C2-76B3-4357-B132-AD42AFBEEEAF.jpeg
    6CF845C2-76B3-4357-B132-AD42AFBEEEAF.jpeg
    834.9 KB · Views: 700
  • 6F9C5223-719C-4BF3-B0E3-47488E035278.jpeg
    6F9C5223-719C-4BF3-B0E3-47488E035278.jpeg
    670.9 KB · Views: 686
  • 7366DCDF-7DD4-4DB2-B2E0-541825D5FB3F.jpeg
    7366DCDF-7DD4-4DB2-B2E0-541825D5FB3F.jpeg
    890.4 KB · Views: 686
  • 16484670-3652-4351-9435-3A2AC44E0D02.jpeg
    16484670-3652-4351-9435-3A2AC44E0D02.jpeg
    453.5 KB · Views: 661
  • 4D361EEC-09B6-469E-977D-217451C67717.jpeg
    4D361EEC-09B6-469E-977D-217451C67717.jpeg
    765.4 KB · Views: 641
  • AD82403E-4173-48B0-8F9B-07AA075456C0.jpeg
    AD82403E-4173-48B0-8F9B-07AA075456C0.jpeg
    573.2 KB · Views: 610
  • 481DD649-18D1-4C26-8EC0-FFC01630756F.jpeg
    481DD649-18D1-4C26-8EC0-FFC01630756F.jpeg
    600.6 KB · Views: 600
  • 29DB8117-1205-4FDD-91F8-FEF44F206565.jpeg
    29DB8117-1205-4FDD-91F8-FEF44F206565.jpeg
    980.6 KB · Views: 709
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Not surprised at all.

If you bring any of this up with SA prior to accepting delivery theyll push you to accept and tell you how great of a car it is…and it will all be fixed after delivery.
😂 an adult forced to accept something they don’t want? And taking advice from someone who makes money only IF a car delivers not really an unbiased opinion is it.

😂 an adult forced to accept something they don’t want? And taking advice from someone who makes money only IF a car delivers not really an unbiased opinion is it.
It’s not really a matter of not wanting it or not. When you’ve gone through hoops to set up a home delivery or getting financing secured you’re left with the decision to refuse the car and potentially wait months for another or accept a car that has defects beyond acceptable. What’s acceptable to everyone will differ but your response to the OP I find completely unacceptable.

It’s not really a matter of not wanting it or not. When you’ve gone through hoops to set up a home delivery or getting financing secured you’re left with the decision to refuse the car and potentially wait months for another or accept a car that has defects beyond acceptable. What’s acceptable to everyone will differ but your response to the OP I find completely unacceptable.
Oh gosh you find my response unacceptable? I guess like your car you will just have to accept it.

How is it you accept a car that has defects that are beyond acceptable?

Reactions: 1windy
Oh gosh you find my response unacceptable? I guess like your car you will just have to accept it.

I think NeuroRad gave some reasoning on why one would accept it. Honestly, when you first get the car, unless it's fully cleaned, you can't really see much until you fully inspect it unless there are actual paint chips. Mine had paint chips, took about 1 month for them to fix it due to the weather. Finally got it back and when I claybarred and polished to prep for front ppf, I found more paint issues. It's to the point where I asked the SA to just give me a bottle of touch and call it a day.

Reactions: Cheburashka
I think NeuroRad gave some reasoning on why one would accept it. Honestly, when you first get the car, unless it's fully cleaned, you can't really see much until you fully inspect it unless there are actual paint chips. Mine had paint chips, took about 1 month for them to fix it due to the weather. Finally got it back and when I claybarred and polished to prep for front ppf, I found more paint issues. It's to the point where I asked the SA to just give me a bottle of touch and call it a day.
If it’s unacceptable and you accept it it CANNOT be unacceptable
Try reading again. Answer is already there.

Try reading again. Answer is already there.
Thank you. And I fully agree.

For the reasons i stated, I reluctantly took delivery of my car given the circumstances (accept it as is or potentially wait months for another). I also wanted to withhold final judgement until I could properly wash the car and assess it under proper lighting. Proper wash did reveal a lot of grime on the vehicle which at first glance thought they may be paint defects.

If I was the one delivering someone’s vehicle I would not be personally ok presenting the car with these issues. However its just my opinion, I won’t be calling others any names if they differ

If it’s unacceptable and you accept it it CANNOT be unacceptable
I got you but you're probably a Tesla veteran owner so you know what comes with the brand. I am just talking from a perspective of someone new to the brand, their first Tesla purchase. With pretty much all of Tesla sales/delivery telling you that you click accept and then open a ticket, it's not really very straightforward.

Even for my delivery, which is a cheaper model compared to the S, the 2 delivery folks that drove the car to the house literally stood by the sidewalk waiting for their uber. I had to ask them what's up with these paint chips that are super noticeable and they told me that I need to open a ticket (nicely at the very least). I asked them what my options are and they said to open a ticket. Tricky thing is, you can only open a ticket after you accept.

At that point, it was either do that or figure some vague way on figuring out what happens if you don't click accept. I wouldn't even know who to talk so since I never had a salesperson, just some random text that told me my car is going to be delivered that day. I also didn't pick home delivery, it was just auto selected, lol.

Now I know better but my point is really for folks that are just dealing with the brand the first time around. I mean, you expect better quality, especially for what you guys are paying for your MS and likely the wait time doesn't help build that anticipation and hype either.

Every car is delivered with some paint issues. Every single one. It's the TYPE of issues that should potentially bother you. Swirl marks, no big deal. A couple nibs that can be handled via a detailer, fine. But hair in the paint is something that should have been caught by QC....and Tesla is notoriously terrible at that.

The problem is, with traditional manufacturers, you can generally take the car for a spin, and if you're super anal about paint quality like me, you can swing over to your detailer of choice and have this kind of thing inspected before signing the paperwork.

Tesla doesn't allow this. Sign on the spot or get F'd. And you've generally been waiting for the car for months, so.....whacha gunna do? And bringing a detailer with you to signing is pretty unrealistic. IMO, they know this and use it to their advantage. They've become a bit predatory in this way.

In the real world, though, 98% of Tesla owners just want the badge or the "new iphone car" and so they would never notice something like this. They're the type of folks that buy a base Model 3 with Aero wheels and no tint, and post on facebook a year into ownership asking how to wash their white interior that now has a tint of blue from their jeans. You're the type of customer they don't like....the one that actually inspects their work.

Black-colored car is easier to spot imperfections especially after it is cleaned, even if the whole car is repainted, there is no guarantee it will have zero defects. One Lucid owner has a similar experience, imperfections, overspray, and uneven thickness of paint when taking to a guy for ppf.
I sympathized with the OP, paying so much money certainly has a certain level of expectation, although this is Tesla's quality that doesn't mean OP cannot raise his concerns. If I were the OP, I will work with Tesla to see what's the best course of action, but be warned any solutions can also create other problems.

Reactions: zoomer0056
Black-colored car is easier to spot imperfections especially after it is cleaned, even if the whole car is repainted, there is no guarantee it will have zero defects. One Lucid owner has a similar experience, imperfections, overspray, and uneven thickness of paint when taking to a guy for ppf.
I sympathized with the OP, paying so much money certainly has a certain level of expectation, although this is Tesla's quality that doesn't mean OP cannot raise his concerns. If I were the OP, I will work with Tesla to see what's the best course of action, but be warned any solutions can also create other problems.
only for Tesla. I had multiple black high dollar cars before and there were zero issues with them.