Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Paint Protection Film for rear fenders

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was that you in the video? You need to spray the outside of the PPF and the inside thoroughly. You're probably right you didn't put enough soap or solution on the inside, but there's no way to tell. You clearly did not put enough soap solution on the outside. And, you didn't press nearly hard enough. You've got to thoroughly spray the outside and squeegee! You're not patting or wiping the PPF gently. The solution lets the squeegee glide, so that you can press hard to get the bubbles out. You are pressing maybe 10% as hard as you need to. And, if you squeegee the outside of the PPF dry, then you spray more, until you've squeezed the bubbles out on the inside.

Was that you in the video? You need to spray the outside of the PPF and the inside thoroughly. You're probably right you didn't put enough soap or solution on the inside, but there's no way to tell. You clearly did not put enough soap solution on the outside. And, you didn't press nearly hard enough. You've got to thoroughly spray the outside and squeegee! You're not patting or wiping the PPF gently. The solution lets the squeegee glide, so that you can press hard to get the bubbles out. You are pressing maybe 10% as hard as you need to. And, if you squeegee the outside of the PPF dry, then you spray more, until you've squeezed the bubbles out on the inside.
Thanks for the tips. Definitely had solution on the outside but will spray more the next go around.

Thanks for the tips. Definitely had solution on the outside but will spray more the next go around.
Remember, you have to keep the outside of the PPF wet, in order for the squeegee to slide; otherwise, it'll grab the PPF and move it out of position. If the PPF is wet, you can press as hard as you want to remove bubbles.

Redid my rockers and it’s 100x better than my first attempt. I used a softer squeegee and I think that was key. The first squeegee included with the invisiblemask kit was too stiff. And squeegeeing left to right instead of up and down cleared most bubbles. This is right after install. After curing for a week or so, I’m just going to pop the few remaining bubbles with a needle and be done with this. Not bad for diy.

Attachments

• 37863DFB-FC30-4E23-950A-9CEC209F56AB.jpeg
    37863DFB-FC30-4E23-950A-9CEC209F56AB.jpeg
    374.5 KB · Views: 130
Reactions: LionXng
Tesla has PPF for rear fenders for US$50. Has anyone purchased it before? Are there better alternatives?

Model 3 All Weather Protection Kit

I see more potential issues with the back side of the wheel well. Flaps may take care of that. If you wash your car (and if you would not live anywhere near New England area in winters) I don't think you really need film there. .... Connecticut and north of it ... I would consider a full-body PPF. I would also avoid flaps as they may accumulate salt and dirt that is hard to clean.