Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Paint Protection Film for rear fenders

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting. The installation instructions show nothing about the PPF, but the picture seems to show that the piece of PPF fits over the back part of the rocker and the flare around the wheel wells. Seems like a good package and price to me.

I DIY'd for $124, using 3M scotchguard pro from invisiblemask.com. They have coupons, FAST5, for 5%. They include a nice kit with spray bottles, squeegees, microfibers.

You need 3 hands or two people, because the pieces are long. I used rhino ramps to raise the side up. Still you need to lay on your back. It's fairly easy, except that you have to lay on your back.

There are a couple other places that have good kits. 2018-2020 Tesla Model 3 3M Pro Series Clear Bra Rocker Panels Paint Protection Kit. I like this kit because it also includes the lower door parts. $180. You can pay $40 more for Xpel. I probably would have bought this kit, but I had already done the doors, so didn't need the lower door pieces, so got the invisible mask version.

Of course, Xpel also has a DIY kit.
IMG_2089.jpg

MUCH better alternatives. That small section helps but does not tackle rocker paint damage 100%. Best to install Xpel or STEK PPF on the entire rocker and up the 1/4 panel in front of the rear wheel.
This. I installed something a local installer calls the "track pack" - covers up any high-wear areas.

I DIY'd full hood, full fenders, door mirrors, full rocker panels coming up about 3/4 of the way in front of the rear wheels, the bottoms of the doors below the fold, A-pillars, headlights & fog lights. Took it to the local XPEL pros to do the front bumper & behind the rear wheels. Any areas that get very 3-dimensional, you're getting into some deep *sugar*. That's best left for the pros.

Reactions: KenC
I DIY'd for $124, using 3M scotchguard pro from invisiblemask.com. They have coupons, FAST5, for 5%. They include a nice kit with spray bottles, squeegees, microfibers.

You need 3 hands or two people, because the pieces are long. I used rhino ramps to raise the side up. Still you need to lay on your back. It's fairly easy, except that you have to lay on your back.

There are a couple other places that have good kits. 2018-2020 Tesla Model 3 3M Pro Series Clear Bra Rocker Panels Paint Protection Kit. I like this kit because it also includes the lower door parts. $180. You can pay $40 more for Xpel. I probably would have bought this kit, but I had already done the doors, so didn't need the lower door pieces, so got the invisible mask version.

Of course, Xpel also has a DIY kit.
View attachment 548131
Just tried installing the same exact kit today and failed miserably by myself. The piece is too long to do yourself, and I ended with bubbles everywhere. did you have bubbles during the initial install?

I might just do the rear wheel well area and call it. Does anyone sell just those two rear pieces?

Just tried installing the same exact kit today and failed miserably by myself. The piece is too long to do yourself, and I ended with bubbles everywhere. did you have bubbles during the initial install?

I might just do the rear wheel well area and call it. Does anyone sell just those two rear pieces?

If you got bubbles and it's been a while don't try to get them out. Leave them and they slowly go away. It takes like a week.

Yes, I tried the PPF kit. Not a fan. A picture on Tesla’s website suggests it’s a 1-piece kit; it’s not.

My intent was to show the install process, but for the life of me I could get them to line up in a way I liked. Ended up messing up the lower section and replacing it with some carbon fiber looking vinyl I had lying around.

I wouldn’t recommend this kit. If anything, buy a sheet of clear 3M material and cut out the area yourself.

• Informative
Reactions: iSpine
Attempted the other side and it has water bubbles along the panel. Hoping these will eventually dry out.

I should’ve did the rockers earlier with my front. There bottom corner is pitted and there is etched in stains all along the bottom. Clashing and polishing it didn’t remove the stains.

Attachments

• 388A04A8-AF44-41A2-8F53-F7A62BD7F230.jpeg
    388A04A8-AF44-41A2-8F53-F7A62BD7F230.jpeg
    243.7 KB · Views: 240
Last edited:
I installed the Tesla kit on my white car.

Its alright. It seems as though the line in that lower area on your car is somewhat made by hand, as its not straight, or not the same on either side of the car. So the pieces of clear vinyl install slightly differently. I ended up using a LOT of heat from the hair dryer to get it to stick into that line indent that is there, likely because the line is higher on my car than it should be.

Used kid body was or shampoo or whatever it is in the exact amount the instructions say, no bubbles at all although I did work at it for awhile.

It is thick, so no more damage in that part of the car. I drive on paved roads only and by 4k miles already had a couple spots in that area where there were paint chips.

I'd say its thicker than the xpel I had professionally installed on other parts of the car, so you do see the edges.

I installed this kit on my 2020 after having rock chips in my white model 3 even with Amazon mud flaps after 4K miles also. I live in Arizona and we have lots of pebbles and gravel on the road. I had no issues with install but I took my time and went back and made sure it was down and pushed edges and bubbles out a couple times. I wasn’t a huge fan of each side being in 2 pieces but it didn’t come out bad at all. I have the front ppfd in expel and I think this is a little thicker.

Guys just order in bulk from eBay, cut it roughly into shape, and apply it. It still won’t be “cheap,” but you’ll have enough material to get several tries. With the exception of the few inches between the door and wheel well, and the rocker panel portion (unless you’re wrapping the whole rocker - which I did on mine), everything else can be edge wrapped in that area. Cut straight edges with a fresh razor and a ruler for the visible portions. There’s nothing magical about the Tesla solution - in fact it might not even be 3M Pro Series. Just make sure you go over the little that runs down the side extremely thoroughly because it’s hard to get the air out and often you won’t see bubbles there until it’s too late.

Last edited: