TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla parting ways with Mobileye? Evidence or pure rumor?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by calisnow, Jan 20, 2016.

1. calisnow

calisnow Active Member

Elsewhere on TMC is a thread I can't find now in which someone says something to the effect of "We know Tesla is not using Mobileye for the next generation of Autopilot."

Is there some news I missed or is this just pure speculation with no evidence?

2. Tree95

Tree95 Member

#2 Tree95, Jan 20, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2016
    It's true. I have an inside contact that's married to a friend who skis with a guy I know, and he says Tesla is getting their automation hardware from google.

3. larmor

larmor Member

So what your saying is you know Kevin Bacon?

4. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

Funny - MBLY is down A LOT from a few weeks ago -- it was up over $40/share, now it's down to $27, and I was thinking that's a good buying opportunity.

But if Tesla is dropping Mobileye completely, that's something big (but I doubt it's actually true), and I might hold off on buying some.

5. Ampster

Ampster Member

I have heard one lawyer refer to that kind of connection as "compound hearsay"

6. hockeythug

hockeythug Active Member

#6 hockeythug, Jan 21, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
    In terms of mapping Mobileye will still have the major advantage. Deals with both GM, VW and will be adding a third major company soon. Their cameras and sensors will be in over 270 models this year providing data(which they will eventually monetize).

7. supratachophobia

supratachophobia Active Member

The only reason I can see them dropping that partnership was if mobile eye wasnt moving fast enough for them.

8. Vitold

Vitold Member

Problem for Tesla, and others, is that it is hard to differentiate and innovate if everyone gets their hardware and software from the same vendor. On the other hand, doing so is less risky, probably safer and lowers liability.

9. MikeC

MikeC Active Member

A couple weeks ago there was the story about Elon trying to hire the hacker George Hotz to make something better than what Mobileye has, so I expect they will bring it in-house at some point in the future.

George Hotz Is Taking on Tesla by Himself