Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Phone App update Ver. 9

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you for your concern but we’re okay. Credit is frozen and with security cameras and systems, our pre-2016 election shenanigans weapons purchases (In case Billary had actually won) and our retired FBI neighbors not much is going on here lol lol.
Sorry, boonedocks, I reported your post in case you didn't get to it in time, if you had wanted to remove it yourself. It looks like it got removed and the report was resolved.

Pretty sure the app isn’t designed for that.
The functionality is simply to send an address to the nav in the car, not to integrate directions from a phone app like waze.
The car nav will just do what it normally does.

The only examples I have seen of using location sharing referenced Google Maps, but I realized from your post that you are not sharing a route, and that made it much easier to figure out. Basically, any app that corrals addresses can share an address with your Tesla. In contacts, just select a name and choose the share button, where I got confused was in Maps I tried to create a route and there was no share button. But if I just go to an address that I wanted to route to I could select it and there was the share button. So I tried to do it in WAZE and it's odd, so here is a GIF photo to show how to do it (open in new tab to rewind):

How to Waze Share.gif

-Randy

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: SpudLime
OK, all is well with the 3.6 App upgrade.

Ordered my Starbucks this morning and shared it and the car had the directions running before I got in the car.

So the final resolution is to upgrade your phone app to 3.6 via the App store for Apple. Nice if Tesla had mentioned it.

OK I went to Tesla to see what they could do. They spent a half hour playing with it also. my App had not upgraded to 3.60, as noted above. It wouldn't update on its own either.

googled it for the instructions

First, here's how you do it on iPhone:
  1. Go to your iPhone's home screen and tap on the App Store icon.
  2. After the App Store opens, tap the Updates icon in the bottom right corner of the screen.
  3. Tap the Update All button at the top of the screen.
  4. Enter your password and wait for your apps to update.

I've done some googling and seem to be failing to find how I would accomplish this on an Android. The use case of sharing my Starbucks app with the Tesla app was intriguing. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

OK, all is well with the 3.6 App upgrade.

Ordered my Starbucks this morning and shared it and the car had the directions running before I got in the car.

So the final resolution is to upgrade your phone app to 3.6 via the App store for Apple. Nice if Tesla had mentioned it.

It was mentioned in the release notes on the app store:

3.6.0 (9/28/2018)
  • Start navigation in your car using the share feature in your favorite phone apps. Enable sharing by tapping on the More button in the sharing menu.
  • Allow passengers to quickly control media
  • Start and cancel software updates on your car
  • Note: The above features require car software version 2018.39 or later
It was also mentioned on the Tesla site:
Tesla

• Note: these features require mobile Software Version 3.6.0 or above.