Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla playing games on FSD upgrade 2018 Model 3 FSD?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2018 Model 3. I purchased the enhanced auto pilot option at that time for $5k or something like that.

I have been comtemplating a FSD upgrade but was put off by cost/benefit when the cost to upgrade was $6k over EAP ($12k total). I wanted to subscribe but Tesla app would show up that a $1000 comptuer upgrade was required. The computer version shown in my dashboard is 2.5 I felt that was a better direction to go rather than buy for $6k. we are are not likely to keep this car too far beyond the break even point of ~ 4 years (99/mo * 50 months = ~ $5000 plus the $1000 for FSD computer upgrade = $6000 purchase price).

But with the news today that FSD is $8k, the option to upgrade to FSD became $2k. I decided to purchase considering the cost of FSD computer was previously $1000.

Now Tesla doesn't even require us to upgrade the computer. So to me it feels like they were fooling with me when I wanted to subscribe. When I pay $1000 as one time fee for the subscription, I'm much likely to continue vs. if the subscription was just $99/mo without any initial buy-in.

So I'm curious if a FSD computer upgrade is required or Tesla was trying to fool me.

But with the news today that FSD is $8k, the option to upgrade to FSD became $2k. I decided to purchase considering the cost of FSD computer was previously $1000.

Now Tesla doesn't even require us to upgrade the computer. So to me it feels like they were fooling with me when I wanted to subscribe. When I pay $1000 as one time fee for the subscription, I'm much likely to continue vs. if the subscription was just $99/mo without any initial buy-in.

So I'm curious if a FSD computer upgrade is required or Tesla was trying to fool me.
Tesla has never required you to have a AP3 computer to buy FSD. But now that you have paid for FSD you should be able to open a service request to get your AP2.5 computer to AP3 so that you actually have the FSD functionality.

Reactions: jjrandorin
Upvote 0
Thanks. I requested a service appointment, and they confirmed that they will upgrade to HW3 as part of the $2k fee I paid. My earlier appointment was for May 4, but they gave me an appointment for this Thursday. I love EAP even though it is not perfect, so I feel I will enjoy the additional city street assistance from FSD v12.

Upvote 0