Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Post Purchase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

vfx

Aug 18, 2006
CA CA
At some point the Roadster service at the stores will become topic of conversation. The grouping of the store and "Post Purchase" aspect of the Roadster, Whitestar might be given a forum.

This may or may not include Aftermarket products by third party makers like solar roofs, downforce wings, cup holders and spinners (ouch).

Related merchandise too, like hats T-hirts, keychains and Roadster-ringtones may also need a place.

What sort of inspections are you talking about?
In California the only thing they really check these days are emissions controls (which won't matter for Tesla's vehicles).

The CHP does safety inspections of big rigs for brakes and such, but I haven't seen them look at cars in a long time.

What sort of inspections are you talking about.
In California the only thing they really check these days are emissions controls (which won't matter for Tesla's vehicles).

(Iz replies 3 years later - akin to putting a message in a bottle)

NYS inspections are not only limited to emissions, they also check brakes, seat belts, steering, lights, tires. Anything that would impact safety such as glass, windshield wipers, horn and mirrors. EVs are exempt from emissions but require the safety inspection.

(Iz replies 3 years later - akin to putting a message in a bottle)

NYS inspections are not only limited to emissions, they also check brakes, seat belts, steering, lights, tires. Anything that would impact safety such as glass, windshield wipers, horn and mirrors. EVs are exempt from emissions but require the safety inspection.

In California, they seem to do this with commercial trucks, but not for passenger cars.

Yes, I can verify in California, we only have a smog check, which only check emissions (if you have modified parts which affect emissions equipment they will also check to see if they are registered with CARB, but it's still all just emissions checks).

New York State has a $10 safety inspection fee, and a $11 or $27 within the New York City Metropolitan Area.

Virginia has a safety inspection also (brakes, tire tread depth, lights, windows, etc.). When I asked the Tesla technician who services my car he said that they weren't certified to do the Virginia inspection for me. But that may vary state to state or even Tesla location to location.

It's a simple inspection, but I still prefer to get it done at a dealership when possible (I would get it done at the Porsche/BMW dealerships with my yearly service on my previous cars). My biggest concern is that they sometimes take a wheel off to look at the brakes, so I'd have to make sure they jack it up correctly and I've already had a tire shop scrape/ding a wheel putting one of the bolts back on after fixing a punctured tire.

Sorry to bump and old thread I think this might be one of those topics that people search for but it was left a little ambiguous.

The truth is most states have periodic inspections, as Tennis_Trs mentioned Virgina has a yearly safety inspection and an emissions inspections every two years. I would imagine that an all electric would be exempt from a computer emissions verification test.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_inspection_in_the_United_States

In most states going to a dealer is not required (but they tend to know what to look for), places like the District of Columbia they have one main inspection facility but most states are not like that.

When it comes to Tesla at this point they do not have an established network of facilities they are shuttling vehicles to a central facility. They might have employed a state inspector as a technician but that is not required or guaranteed. The hoops a repair facility has to go through to get inspection certified might not be worth it until their volume exceeds a certain point.

States like Maryland are interesting they have one inspection at the time of purchase and that is it as far as safety. Personally I have always been one to inspect all of my cars at least once a year, and that is what I recommend to everyone. Even if it is someone you have to watch set the lift just have someone pick it up and look it over front to back just for the piece of mind, especially if it is a family car.