Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla power plant comes on line

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The city next to where I live has just brought a new TESLA power plant on line with the co-operation of SoCal Edison. It is 20 megawatts and can power 2,500 homes for a day. It was brought on line in only 88 days as compared to years! There was no need for water or gas lines to be installed. The batteries were built in the Gigafactory in Sparks,NV which I hadn't even read was in production already.

No, it is just the battery system. They use it to replace a peak plant (additional power plant used only during high power usages)

Especially in California I have to imagine that it is easier to control the temperature of the batteries if they sit in the shade.

For example under a bunch of solar panels.

For the specific installation there seems to have been pressure to go online quickly, but I could imagine that coming buffer facilities would include solar panels.

Btw, since a buffer of batteries does not produce power (but rather consumes power), I think it should not be referred to as a power plant (as in the title?) - even if it can supplant one.