Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Privacy Data Access

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Earlier this morning I requested that Tesla send me a copy of the data from my ‘17 Model S 100D which they have collected. Following their handy dandy website directions, it was a breeze! Obtain a Copy of the Data Associated With Your Tesla Account

Logged in, submitted the request and received an e-mail saying it’ll take up to 30 days to process. :cool: I think

5 mins later…a second e-mail saying that my request was “Unable to be filled at this time“ and that “…if in the United States access would be for those registered owners in California only.”

Now…data is data. It’s kinda like medical records from my foxhole. Both the patient and doctor MIGHT need access to them regardless of what state one is in. Restricting access just seems…petty honestly. Anyway, will access for it in person at my Frunk Recall tomorrow at the Austin Service Center.

I think most other manufactures have the same system. It’s a California law that days for California owners they must provide the data. Their lawyers read that and say as long as the other states don’t have a similar mandate then they don’t need to provide it.

I’m not saying it’s right or wrong. It’s a choice for them to provide it to states that don’t have such stringent consumer data protection laws.

A friend found the same issue with Ford as well.