Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Data privacy request denied - need advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I submitted a request to obtain my vehicle's data from Tesla (duration of 1 week) on Tesla's data privacy request page.

It was denied within a day, with a massage saying Tesla is only obligated to provide data in the State of California, and the European Union, and that their records show I'm not a resident of California.

Any advice? Is there an alternative approach to obtain my car's data? Thank you.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220109-205133.png
    Screenshot_20220109-205133.png
    372.1 KB · Views: 186
My guess is this access only exists to satisfy legal requirements for specific regions…

Stated in the First paragraph…
Access to this feature varies by location.
Right. That same paragraph starts with "As part of putting you in control of your data and privacy"... but as you mentioned and the email response shows, it looks like the existence of this page has nothing to do with caring about customers, rather, it's just there to satisfy minimum legal requirements.

Notwithstanding the above, is there any way to obtain vehicle data if one does not reside in the state of California?

Tesla already said "no" to you and there is no place to escalate that to, that I am aware of. Your next step would be to try to legally compel tesla to provide it, so you should probably contact a lawyer to see if that is possible.

It seems like Tesla has a default setting to use the data to protect from warranty abuse, general liability, and not sell personal information to 3rd parties. But we still should have control over how our info is being used or at least know the specific policy at one's location.

It seems like Tesla has a default setting to use the data to protect from warranty abuse, general liability, and not sell personal information to 3rd parties. But we still should have control over how our info is being used or at least know the specific policy at one's location.
Go to your car’s manual and look up “Data Sharing,” this may answer your question.

Hi all,

I submitted a request to obtain my vehicle's data from Tesla (duration of 1 week) on Tesla's data privacy request page.

It was denied within a day, with a massage saying Tesla is only obligated to provide data in the State of California, and the European Union, and that their records show I'm not a resident of California.

Any advice? Is there an alternative approach to obtain my car's data? Thank you.

For what purpose to help better understand your plight of not "getting your data".

I am having the same issue with the data request. Mine is regarding a used model x i purchased in November 2022 out of state (Florida) about half way through my drive to Illinois, my air suspension disabled completely and my car began to sink in the front. I was lucky enough to buy a fuse to keep the compressor going but as soon as I got it to a tesla service center they discovered leaks on both struts, the air compressor needed to be replaced, alignment was out, etc. Long story short, i found the dealers stock photos actually showing the warning message in their listing pictures (of all things). This was perhaps intermittent or they just plain ignored it. This was an Autonation dealer and they are sticking by their 125-point inspection process (which acrually checks for struts). My legal advice is that this could fall under either fraudulent product misinformation or negligent misinformation. What I wanted to see is if I could get a download of data which would indicate this fault existing prior to my purchase so I could have some concrete evidence if I takr this to court. Otherwise I only have pictures which require some enhancement to be seen clearly. Not sure if a court could subpoena this or if I am just out of luck. But yes, i requested the data log and received a response that "since i dont reside in California, then they can't provide this log." Because my repairs were almost $4k i am almost ready to get a california ID, register my vehicle there and get the data, lol. Is there another way?