Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla PW price increase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last year I made a reservation for 2 PW and at the time the price was around $5900 per.

Tesla was delayed for a while and this week I finally received my contract with pricing and the price is now $6700 per.

Has anyone else dealt with this? Did they honor the reservation price?

I just finished my Powerwall install a week ago and they honored the old price without any problem. The Tesla sales advisor was actually the person who brought it up.

I reserved 3 powerwalls back in June 2018. Tesla emailed me in mid Feb 2019 that they were ready for install and I spoke to the energy sales advisor on the phone. He told me that the prices had gone up since my reservation, but that they would honor the original price of $5900 per PW and $700 for the gateway. I asked how long they would honor it for and he said he didn’t know. At any time they might just stop honoring the old price. That’s all the info he had. I went ahead with the project since they were for sure giving me the old price. I didn’t want a battle in the future if I delayed the install and they stopped honoring it.

You should ask your sales advisor about it.

It’s most important to sign the contract to lock down the prices for Tesla supplies equipment and services. When Tesla revisits the design and discover further upgrades then Tesla will price those extra services (e.g. electrical upgrades) to current market rates. Tesla seems smart about it because they outsource main service upgrades to the outside. The Tesla team is chartered to arrive at a plain vanilla work site and hammer out Powerwall installation in a day.

It’s most important to sign the contract to lock down the prices for Tesla supplies equipment and services. When Tesla revisits the design and discover further upgrades then Tesla will price those extra services (e.g. electrical upgrades) to current market rates. Tesla seems smart about it because they outsource main service upgrades to the outside. The Tesla team is chartered to arrive at a plain vanilla work site and hammer out Powerwall installation in a day.

Agreed, but the delay was on Tesla, first they told me that they couldn't send me a contract due to a backlog of installs so i would have to wait. Then they told me they wouldn't be able to send me a contract until my solar was finished. I would have signed the damn thing right away had they actually sent me a contract.

I can understand OP’s situation with the contract. They don’t actually send it until their design team specs out the extra work that needs to be done. It took a couple of weeks for them to send me my contract after I gave the green light to proceed with the powerwalls.

OP, did you check with your sales advisor about honoring the old price? Maybe escalate it up the management if they say no. Just a month ago, they were honoring the old price for those of us who had reservations.

Edit: I did some searching about their policy with honoring the price at reservation... but the results don't look good. It looks like it is not always their policy to honor the price at reservation since the pricing is subject to change. I thought I read somewhere about them honoring the old price. Maybe it was just my original solar advisor telling me this when she placed the reservation back in June.

Last edited:
Did Tesla do the solar?

No, they didn't.

I can understand OP’s situation with the contract. They don’t actually send it until their design team specs out the extra work that needs to be done. It took a couple of weeks for them to send me my contract after I gave the green light to proceed with the powerwalls.

OP, did you check with your sales advisor about honoring the old price? Maybe escalate it up the management if they say no. Just a month ago, they were honoring the old price for those of us who had reservations.

Edit: I did some searching about their policy with honoring the price at reservation... but the results don't look good. It looks like it is not always their policy to honor the price at reservation since the pricing is subject to change. I thought I read somewhere about them honoring the old price. Maybe it was just my original solar advisor telling me this when she placed the reservation back in June.

I did check with my advisor and he said they would not honor the original pricing, I called the TS Energy number for an explanation as to why for some people it is honored yet I'm being told no and I got a run around answer that for those people that got it honored they had a signed contract, yet I never even told the lady a single piece of PII to look up an account.

As with the cars, i think this is a case of "We're too damn disorganized to have a solid business workflow for everyone to follow". I guess i'll escalate to a supervisor on Monday and see what happens.

I just finished my Powerwall install a week ago and they honored the old price without any problem. The Tesla sales advisor was actually the person who brought it up.

I reserved 3 powerwalls back in June 2018. Tesla emailed me in mid Feb 2019 that they were ready for install and I spoke to the energy sales advisor on the phone. He told me that the prices had gone up since my reservation, but that they would honor the original price of $5900 per PW and $700 for the gateway. I asked how long they would honor it for and he said he didn’t know. At any time they might just stop honoring the old price. That’s all the info he had. I went ahead with the project since they were for sure giving me the old price. I didn’t want a battle in the future if I delayed the install and they stopped honoring it.

You should ask your sales advisor about it.

@gnumeric any chance you'd be willing to PM your advisors contact info? I'm getting nowhere with mine, it's gotten to the point where he's told me to cancel my reservation if I'm not happy.

So after a week of trying to get ahold of someone (Apparently the PW team is always in a damn meeting) I finally had to get rude on the phone to get a supervisor on the line. Long story short, no dice. They will not honor the reservation price.

So I cancelled my reservation and I'm building my own.

For $16k I bought a 12kw continuous / 36kw peak inverter charger capable of AC coupling and frequency shifting, a 60kw Tesla battery pack which I'll have to take apart and a BMS controller that uses CAN to communicate with the modules to tell the inverter when to stop charging and monitor each module and cell. All that was $1k cheaper that what they quoted me. I did my own solar so this will be right my alley.

I'll probably start a separate thread for that build.