Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla radically expands Early Access Program

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Will find a way? That makes it sound as if that would be a non-negligible effort for Tesla.
"Full" is a policy. They have some max number they wanted and they have reached it. They just need to increase the max to admit early FSD buyers. This means some administrative and may be some coding effort. No biggie.

There may be some marginal cost in terms of them getting more bug reports because of more EAP cars. I doubt they would need to hire even one more engr because of this.

ps : What Tesla needs is a person who analyses all the promises Musk makes on Twitter, follows up with individual groups/teams that need to take action to fulfill the promise. Esp., one off promises like these. I'm sure, like all sane companies, the teams completely ignore what Musk tweets and only work on things that they are directed to work on internally.

Reactions: diplomat33
"Full" is a policy. They have some max number they wanted and they have reached it. They just need to increase the max to admit early FSD buyers.

How do you (or rather Tesla) define "Early FSD buyer"? Is there a cut off date? I bought FSD in June 2019, so I assume I still would not get in to EAP and therefore the reply I received on July 9th is still applicable, post recent Elon tweet, no?

my oh my, after reading some threads, a few people sure are impatient. Whenever Elon tweets something is coming, some people run out to their car and if they don't see software streaming to it, a scream is herd that Elon has screwed them again :D

I'll cut him some slack for now. Most of us understand that things can't happen immediately, and from experience, Elon's "coming soon" could mean anything from tomorrow or next year (or later finds out it wasn't possible as he thought). :oops:

And to add.... I don't care to be on the early access list. I don't want to test a multi-ton Windows on Wheels for the rest of your folks. :D You test it and if you survive, then I might try it :cool:

Last edited:
How do you (or rather Tesla) define "Early FSD buyer"? Is there a cut off date? I bought FSD in June 2019, so I assume I still would not get in to EAP and therefore the reply I received on July 9th is still applicable, post recent Elon tweet, no?
Yes. Early is anyone who bought FSD before the price decrease in March '19. That is when Tesla promised to include them in EAP. I bought FSD when the price was reduced. So, I & you should only get "priority" in the queue - not EAP.

Yes. Early is anyone who bought FSD before the price decrease in March '19. That is when Tesla promised to include them in EAP. I bought FSD when the price was reduced. So, I & you should only get "priority" in the queue - not EAP.

Not sure I understand. When I bought FSD, it was at the full $6000 price in June '19, which is after March '19, but was not at a discounted purchase price. Given this, it seems like the calendar cutoff may not work because there are people (like me) who purchased FSD at full price, after March '19 and before the roll out of v10.

Not sure I understand. When I bought FSD, it was at the full $6000 price in June '19, which is after March '19, but was not at a discounted purchase price. Given this, it seems like the calendar cutoff may not work because there are people (like me) who purchased FSD at full price, after March '19 and before the roll out of v10.
"Early" is a calendar thing. Tesla didn't say anyone who buys FSD in the future at a higher price will also be considered "early" - that would make no sense.

“Customers who previously purchased Full Self-Driving will receive an invitation to Tesla’s Early Access Program (EAP). EAP members are invited to experience and provide feedback on new features and functionality before they are rolled out to other customers.”​

Reactions: KrenGrl
Really. Some people.

I bought a 4K TV in 2016 for $6000. Like some Model S owners bought FSD in 2016.

Still waiting on my TV. Hasn’t shipped yet. Should I call Amazon? No. I’ll wait. What are three years anyways? Especially for high tech stuff.
I bought HDTV in early 2000s - insanely expensive at that time - and waited for years before any HD programming was available. In the meantime enjoyed upscaled DVDs etc. That is a much better analogy.

(or if you want to talk about L3 charging on Nissan Leaf or SACD players or …)

I bought HDTV in early 2000s - insanely expensive at that time - and waited for years before any HD programming was available. In the meantime enjoyed upscaled DVDs etc. That is a much better analogy.

(or if you want to talk about L3 charging on Nissan Leaf or SACD players or …)

I’m not complaining. Jeff shipped a 36” black and white CRT next day (I’m prime) so technically I received a TV. Looking forward to my 4K screen. Will be awesome!

• Funny
Reactions: Deslah and croman
I think we can put this lie to rest finally. EAP owners got V10 too:
Yes - used it last night. I have EAP and downloaded v10 (inclusive of all its features) yesterday morning.

It seems there was no early access priority for FSD owners, let alone early FSD owners who were supposed to be first invited to the Early Access Program and then later to be given a sort of ”wide early access” level...

In the end, nothing. I think we can put this baby to rest, one more broken promise.

Reactions: ramonneke
Sour grapes.

You got V10 before those of us who didn't pay $6000 for FSD (according to current pricing structure), although as I've been saying, getting less mature software first is a dubious perk. That's why they have the "advanced" setting, as Elon confirmed they are not delivering V10 right now unless you have it set to advanced..

The "real" early access program is being a beta tester for free. Other OEMs pay large sums of money for this kind of testing before releasing the vehicles, but somehow Tesla owners have gotten it into their head that being a free beta tester for software that could be buggy or in extreme cases could leave you stranded is what they are entitled to.

That's the real genius here. Tell a typical BMW owner they're going to get software that hasn't been fully tested yet and they would tell you to get lost. Tell a subset of Tesla owners that they will only get software when the bugs have been worked out and they throw a hissy fit.

Reactions: VT_EE
Sour grapes.

You got V10 before those of us who didn't pay $6000 for FSD, although as I've been saying, getting less mature software is a dubious perk. That's why they have the "advanced" setting.

What? I got V10 yesterday. Same as the guy with EAP (Enhanced Autopilot) only. I have FSD bought in 2016 with the car. They were rushing everyone by end of Q3 for obvious reasons. But my car is not even the point, so looking at this wider question: the promise was an invitation to take part in the development, not some potential priority of a few hours.
The "real" early access program is being a beta tester for free. Other OEMs pay large sums of money for this kind of testing before releasing the vehicles, but somehow Tesla owners have gotten it into their had that being a free beta tester for software that could be buggy or leave you stranded is what they are entitled to.

Nevertheless, Tesla announced the invitation of all early FSD buyers to the Early Access Program as a compensation for paying more and receiving nothing so far for our payment. Every single thing I have, I would have had had I bought EAP (Enhanced Autopilot) only.

They deleted the blog post later and basically forgot about it.

So this V10 episode just basically puts an end to this sorry lie. There is no Early Access priority for early FSD buyers.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: ord3r