Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla really needs to step up their SUV game (BMW iX impressions)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My situation is I'm getting divorced, and I either need to refinance my current car or get a new one. Today I test drove a 2024 BMW iX and I left blown away.

Yes, it's a little smaller (5 seats vs. 6, but considerably more useable cargo area). It lacks air suspension (they stopped that after 2023 apparently). It's not quite as fast to 60mph (I tested).

That said, the interior comfort is on a completely different level. Real leather seats with a decent massage function, the ability to change bolster shaping, outstanding sound system (I tested the Bowers & Wilkins upgrade w/ the bass shakers in the seats), the list really goes quite a bit on.

The HUD was excellent, as was the parking camera and a few other little features the X lacks. Car Play on a big, wide screen is just great. There isn't a back screen but after having that for a year in the X I'm convinced it's not a value add in any way.

The handling is considerably better, and the drive overall is very nice with much better road noise isolation than a model X.

It might not be your taste or whatever, but the important point is this: I can get a lease of an absolutely loaded out iX for less than I pay for my X currently. It's a better car in almost every way. I'll miss the windshield, and air suspension, and.... that's about it TBH.

I'm a huge Tesla fan, but IMO they really need to step up what they're offering for six figures if they want to stay competitive.

52469378699_4fcf33e855_b.jpg

"BMW iX electric SUV in Costa Rica" by mariordo59 is licensed under CC BY-SA 2.0.
Admin note: Image added for Blog Feed thumbnail

Until you drive an EV, you don't necessarily appreciate the importance of ubiquitous, reliable, tightly integrated public fast charging to making it practical for road trips.

Keep that In mind when you buy an EV that you will need to travel with and not solely for commuting.
Yup that's my #1 reason to get a Y. But I've been driving an EV for 12 years so I know all about the importance of good public charging. Chademo charging makes CSS seem like a supercharger network. 🤣

• Funny
Reactions: Falcon73
Until you drive an EV, you don't necessarily appreciate the importance of ubiquitous, reliable, tightly integrated public fast charging to making it practical for road trips.

Keep that In mind when you buy an EV that you will need to travel with and not solely for commuting.
This is great advice. When I bought my model X it was much more a concern for me. Now my longest trip is typically up to WI for some golf/resort time and those spots are all doable on a single charge in any modern EV.

Tesla's existing SC network is the primary reason we have ordered Tesla in the EV space. ... and to be fair the price point is pretty darned good like for like.

3 and Y are in line price wise with the machE and have similar performance.
No competitor really touches the XP and SP performance (line speed dominant) anywhere near the price.

One challenge Tesla really has in the S and X market is, other than tech, they are NOT equivalent fit and finish to similarly priced vehicles.

... and service is what it is. I went back to look at the MB EQ line recently (580 or something?) BECAUSE their service was awesome to me in past vehicles and miles better than ford, gm-brands, honda, nissan (etc... all from first hand experience over the years).

Tesla fits the need for (speed, family-safe, practical) excellently on paper and does so with a solid charging network, a solid engineering pipeline for constant useful updates (even if not the updated features some want), with a small risk. The risk is: bad car. The frustration can be quite high.... ive had very expensive vehicles fully break down within 100 miles of owning and didnt blacklist them because service was ok (this was my view pre-benz.. who sky rocketed my support views).

The other vendor EVs, even when comparable in some criteria of selection, are going to be behind Tesla BECAUSE of their charging network (go Ford for figuring it out and Rivian for realizing the importance). Full stop.

Owning a current top end MB EQS wouldnt even be possible for my particular usage because of electrify america (both in terms of expected reliability and coverage/costs).

Tesla wins in EV land for the forseeable future, and they control the destiny of Ford now. :)

My situation is I'm getting divorced, and I either need to refinance my current car or get a new one. Today I test drove a 2024 BMW iX and I left blown away.

Yes, it's a little smaller (5 seats vs. 6, but considerably more useable cargo area). It lacks air suspension (they stopped that after 2023 apparently). It's not quite as fast to 60mph (I tested).

That said, the interior comfort is on a completely different level. Real leather seats with a decent massage function, the ability to change bolster shaping, outstanding sound system (I tested the Bowers & Wilkins upgrade w/ the bass shakers in the seats), the list really goes quite a bit on.

The HUD was excellent, as was the parking camera and a few other little features the X lacks. Car Play on a big, wide screen is just great. There isn't a back screen but after having that for a year in the X I'm convinced it's not a value add in any way.

The handling is considerably better, and the drive overall is very nice with much better road noise isolation than a model X.

It might not be your taste or whatever, but the important point is this: I can get a lease of an absolutely loaded out iX for less than I pay for my X currently. It's a better car in almost every way. I'll miss the windshield, and air suspension, and.... that's about it TBH.

I'm a huge Tesla fan, but IMO they really need to step up what they're offering for six figures if they want to stay competitive.
There are plenty of BMW ix models available. I ordered one last July and the process was pretty bad. By the time it arrived in port in CA they had a stop sale on them for airbag recall. Of course I never hear from BMW or the dealer. I sold my models s (owned new for 8 years) allowing a week for the bmw transfer from the port to the dealer. It was at the port for over 30 days. I had borrowed a friends car and finally had enough. I went online and bought a model y p and picked up in a couple of days. Tesla gets buying a car right. My IX is sitting at the dealer with 17 other ones. My 2023 is there and they are delivering 2024s at the same time.

• Informative
Reactions: z_yury and jboy210
From where I'm standing, the BMW has a hideous face that you'll have to look at each time you walk up to it. It's more expensive for the comparable M60 model (especially once you've dealt with what your BMW dealer will demand to actually get one). It's slower. It's got less range and terrible efficiency numbers. And most importantly you'll be playing "pray that the public CCS charger is working today" when you try to travel while the Tesla folks are sipping coffee and chatting with each other at their local SuperCharger station.

All that, for a more "Lux" vs "Tech Minimal" interior and ride package (which you could easily adjust in the aftermarket with just the markup most BMW dealers will be asking for the iX)

Reactions: Falcon73 and jr_gn
From where I'm standing, the BMW has a hideous face that you'll have to look at each time you walk up to it. It's more expensive for the comparable M60 model (especially once you've dealt with what your BMW dealer will demand to actually get one). It's slower. It's got less range and terrible efficiency numbers. And most importantly you'll be playing "pray that the public CCS charger is working today" when you try to travel while the Tesla folks are sipping coffee and chatting with each other at their local SuperCharger station.

All that, for a more "Lux" vs "Tech Minimal" interior and ride package (which you could easily adjust in the aftermarket with just the markup most BMW dealers will be asking for the iX)
Mine was a lease deal, a few thousand below MSRP and they rolled the $7500 tax credit in. I'm not sure where the myth that dealers are marking these up comes from, because it doesn't appear to be true at least by me.

As for price, the x50 has everything the standard X does except air suspension for a lot cheaper. If you spec an X to have what it needs to be directly "comparable" to an M60 it comes out to $111,990 (add white interior, enhanced autopilot, and mobile charger). That's $1,010 less than an M60, so I'll give you that. That M60 comes with a... large... number of interior features the Model X doesn't have as well.

My fully loaded (literally every additional option) x50 came out to $107,095. The only thing the X has on it is like .5s of 0-60 time.

I'm not trying to be controversial or anything, just realistic. Tesla has the network/infrastructure win 100%. Style is subjective; the iX isn't pretty but neither is an X except from the front if we're being honest with ourselves. If you sit in one for ~10 minutes though, the difference in comfort is really hard to ignore and things like 2 screen car play, full color HUD, and 360 parking cameras/AR display aren't just gimmicks.

FSD beta is by far what separates Tesla's tech. Tesla is years ahead.
Have you actually tried the competition before saying that? I write software for a living... FSD beta is just that, beta. It *can* be very impressive. It also *can* sometimes just try to murder you. Both of those are true at the same time.

I tested the BMW highway driving system. It's level 3 (totally hands off). It changes lanes and drives on the highway every bit as well as FSD, and in some cases better. No, it doesn't do surface street autonomy. I'd argue that FSD often doesn't either, but that's a different discussion. My point is you're comparing a feature that very much still breaks often with competition that performs more reliably.

Now, should Elon's vision of full autonomous robotaxis come to pass we can revisit this discussion. But we are definitely not there yet.

...and range, and efficiency, and size, and charging network, and a face you don't wince at when you see it :)
Agreed! To some extent, I could overlook the range & efficiency since I charge mostly at home and don't take too many roadtrips. And the interior and ride-handling are excellent. But I just can't get over the hideous grille and disjoint lines of some of the panels that make it look weird from any angle. Wish the design was more similar to the X5/X6 M.

...and range, and efficiency, and size, and charging network, and a face you don't wince at when you see it :)
You should watch the Out Of Spec Reviews video on the model X vs. iX range... TLDR: the most efficient X (non-plaid refresh with 20" wheels) lost in an actual range to the least efficient (M60 with 21" wheels) iX. Efficiency in terms of wH/m yes... but in actual range no. Size is another thing... I have a 6 seat X currently. Yes it has more space... but the second row in the iX is *significantly* roomier/more comfy. It has way more legroom and arm rests for the outboard seats.

I get it, I love my X in a lot of ways. It's been a great car. If the only things that are super important to you are size (3rd row) and charging infrastructure the model X is far and away the winner. The interior and actual drive of the iX is just flatly better.

Agreed! To some extent, I could overlook the range & efficiency since I charge mostly at home and don't take too many roadtrips. And the interior and ride-handling are excellent. But I just can't get over the hideous grille and disjoint lines of some of the panels that make it look weird from any angle. Wish the design was more similar to the X5/X6 M.
I mean, if we're all being honest neither are super sexy cars. The Model X is beautiful from the front and... less so.. from other angles. The iX is pretty gnarly in the front but actually looks really cool from behind w/ the upgraded tail lights.

What part of the Tesla experience needs the most improvement? compared to BMW or MB? Products are products and engineered many years before they rear out hands. Revisions can be made. The buying experience depends on a lot of factors.

While Tesla is considered a luxury brand they are only included because of price point. I see very kettle about their business model that says they prioritize the “luxury experience”.

Service centers is huge issue. I can get any brand I want serviced in town but my closest Tesla service center is 2.5 hours away. My first one only experience so far was inferior to every trip to my Honda or Toyota dealer.

Tesla will change when they have too. But I don’t see that happening in the next two years. CT sales will drive a new way of customers into a physical infrastructure that is already inadequate. Their solution to attract more customers is to cut prices (and offer free charging). Wich honestly probably will be attractive to first time EV owners who are deciding between different brands.

When Tesla inventory starts to pile up you may see some changes. But the M3 LR just became available again. But without the full $7500 tax credit it may not really take off. But the M3P will look really good to a lot of buyers.

Have you actually tried the competition before saying that? I write software for a living... FSD beta is just that, beta. It *can* be very impressive. It also *can* sometimes just try to murder you. Both of those are true at the same time.

I tested the BMW highway driving system. It's level 3 (totally hands off). It changes lanes and drives on the highway every bit as well as FSD, and in some cases better. No, it doesn't do surface street autonomy. I'd argue that FSD often doesn't either, but that's a different discussion. My point is you're comparing a feature that very much still breaks often with competition that performs more reliably.

Now, should Elon's vision of full autonomous robotaxis come to pass we can revisit this discussion. But we are definitely not there yet.
I am a product strategist at a software company, I lead product design, vision, and customer expectation and success. I have driven other vehicles with "limited" level 3 driving systems. What supports my statement with Tesla, is it is responding every microsecond to visual data. Others only confirm known pre-mapped data and will never work in unmapped areas. In addition will never work in changing mapped areas. Yes, the system is still in beta and fails in some edge cases now and then, but the sheer ability to respond to visual input constantly adjusting to its environment puts Tesla miles ahead. I am surprised you have such a hard line with software development on what is considered complete. You should know as well as I that software design is never complete and will be released in many stages of functionality starting with an MVP or beta solution with constant feedback and improvements. If your take is to only talk when it is complete and approved by all regulatory authorities, then I guess we won't be talking.

I am a product strategist at a software company, I lead product design, vision, and customer expectation and success. I have driven other vehicles with "limited" level 3 driving systems. What supports my statement with Tesla, is it is responding every microsecond to visual data. Others only confirm known pre-mapped data and will never work in unmapped areas. In addition will never work in changing mapped areas. Yes, the system is still in beta and fails in some edge cases now and then, but the sheer ability to respond to visual input constantly adjusting to its environment puts Tesla miles ahead. I am surprised you have such a hard line with software development on what is considered complete. You should know as well as I that software design is never complete and will be released in many stages of functionality starting with an MVP or beta solution with constant feedback and improvements. If your take is to only talk when it is complete and approved by all regulatory authorities, then I guess we won't be talking.

I think the challenge with this software-self-driving thing is that roadways are shared by a ton of people who didn't sign up to share the roadways with people who are beta testing software. The DOT and NHTSA have some insanely strict rules around product development for vehicles on federal roadways. And even at the state/municipal level there are some odds and ends.

For example, here's a 59 page document from the DOT outlining the procedure by which seat belts are tested and which forces they have to accommodate. The DOT circulated this research in hopes of improving safety. It's not as simple as someone at the automaker determined that Grade 5 bolts satisfy the requirements to support these loads, then planned for Grade 5 bolts to be used in the car so they could move on to the next problem.

And a seat belt thing only affects the occupants of the vehicle in question. Imagine if suddenly the requirements extended to being safe for other roadway occupants. Even if you have a 99.99% accurate system, the 0.01% may be enough to render a design or system incompatible with transportation Code. With self-driving cars, it's like there is a collective shrug where there is no consistent methodology or approach to even attempt to quantify or qualify "safety."

Personally I'm amazed that all this self driving tech is emerging and available for purchase. I like progress as much as anyone, but it seems there are a lot of concessions to vehicle safety that have slipped in, and it's not clear to me whether or not consumers all align on how "complete" the software has to be "safe" since neither of those terms in quotes have been defined well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Just a Reader

I agree. Tesla is solving a different problem than the "competing" level 3 players.

Reactions: rush6410

Looks like a kid that need braces. I know. I had the same problem before with my 2 front teeth before braces!

And then there is CCS.... Maybe BMW USA will hop on the NACS bandwagon.

I think the challenge with this software-self-driving thing is that roadways are shared by a ton of people who didn't sign up to share the roadways with people who are beta testing software. The DOT and NHTSA have some insanely strict rules around product development for vehicles on federal roadways. And even at the state/municipal level there are some odds and ends.

For example, here's a 59 page document from the DOT outlining the procedure by which seat belts are tested and which forces they have to accommodate. The DOT circulated this research in hopes of improving safety. It's not as simple as someone at the automaker determined that Grade 5 bolts satisfy the requirements to support these loads, then planned for Grade 5 bolts to be used in the car so they could move on to the next problem.

And a seat belt thing only affects the occupants of the vehicle in question. Imagine if suddenly the requirements extended to being safe for other roadway occupants. Even if you have a 99.99% accurate system, the 0.01% may be enough to render a design or system incompatible with transportation Code. With self-driving cars, it's like there is a collective shrug where there is no consistent methodology or approach to even attempt to quantify or qualify "safety."

Personally I'm amazed that all this self driving tech is emerging and available for purchase. I like progress as much as anyone, but it seems there are a lot of concessions to vehicle safety that have slipped in, and it's not clear to me whether or not consumers all align on how "complete" the software has to be "safe" since neither of those terms in quotes have been defined well.
I think as long as the drivers are fully aware of what they get and can respond to appropriately, there shouldn't be an issue. In fact, I would argue that even in the initial state of beta, it was safer than without the beta software. I do believe that is Tesla's claim as well. And, they can back it up with data. If the data showed otherwise, I am sure the NHTSA would have banned the usage a long time ago. I do see your point that there really isn't any rules on what state software is deemed safe enough to test on roads. The NHTSA only responds to adverse complaints. And then, we as the public would be aware of what risk the general public was put under. IMO, I do accept the risk in general for the sake of progress from any manufacturer. I don't think Tesla should be put under some special scrutiny as compared to any other manufacturer's driver assistant capabilities being used or tested in vehicles today.

In addition, I think most ppl get hung up on the title of the software. But, it doesn't change the actual capabilities. No one on beta is confused over the name and specifically acknowledges and volunteers for the capabilities. It is the folks without FSD beta or do not own a Tesla that seem to get confused and alarmed. Tesla should not be deterred by those concerns since they have no bearing on said capabilities, vision, and outcomes. In other words, it wouldn't change a thing. I would propose Tesla campaign the positives and factual safety data to combat the disinformation. But, that is not in their DNA to do so which is Elon's prerogative. Maybe Elon thinks the negative press will keep non serious users from volunteering to use the software to a degree. It is a delicate balance between getting the data necessary to accomplish the overall vision without putting the product at risk of being pulled.