Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Refused to Fix Factory Defect

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I purchased my Model Y performance in Late April Vin Number #254. My neighbor bought a Tesla and said the Brooklyn dealer had Ys available. For the most part not many issues.

The week I picked up my Y was peak COVID 19 in New York City. The car was parked on the street in direct sunlight. The next morning in our parking garage I noticed two small bumps on the hood. On the underside of the hood are strange weld marks. I marked it on my list of a few small issues I noticed. When I took the car in for delivery repairs they refused to repair hood. The marks are clearly from poor workmanship. My sales rep Romelo at Brooklyn Tesla refused to help and provided me the email to Tesla legal.

Any ideas on next steps or who I can speak with. I am pretty sure my car had been a Y that was refused by a prior customer repaired and sold to me.

1. try another service center, hope he didnt enter a note about it.
  2. be vocal blog, pics, and make videos.
  3. change to tesla insurance before you hit a tree.
Im still failing to get them to care about my paint not matching with my doors vs rest of car. GOOD LUCK!

• Funny
Reactions: Za_c and CyberGus
I purchased my Model Y performance in Late April Vin Number #254. My neighbor bought a Tesla and said the Brooklyn dealer had Ys available. For the most part not many issues.

The week I picked up my Y was peak COVID 19 in New York City. The car was parked on the street in direct sunlight. The next morning in our parking garage I noticed two small bumps on the hood. On the underside of the hood are strange weld marks. I marked it on my list of a few small issues I noticed. When I took the car in for delivery repairs they refused to repair hood. The marks are clearly from poor workmanship. My sales rep Romelo at Brooklyn Tesla refused to help and provided me the email to Tesla legal.

Any ideas on next steps or who I can speak with. I am pretty sure my car had been a Y that was refused by a prior customer repaired and sold to me.
How can you hold a company responsible for damage that you didn't note upon acceptance of the car? I could see if it was a clear factory defect, but what you described sounds like it could be damage incurred after you left.

I'm not saying it WAS damage incurred after you left, but how is it reasonable for Tesla to take responsibility for it?

Agree. Tesla is not responsible for any damage that happens after you take delivery. Thay why they do the inspection on delivery.
Sorry pictures didn’t upload this is damage from welds. Unless I welded and painted the car the night after delivery in my parking garage in midtown Manhattan it was not caused by me.

Attachments

• 264FBFF8-138B-4588-A970-5197B0F7A364.jpeg
    264FBFF8-138B-4588-A970-5197B0F7A364.jpeg
    320.8 KB · Views: 181
How can you hold a company responsible for damage that you didn't note upon acceptance of the car? I could see if it was a clear factory defect, but what you described sounds like it could be damage incurred after you left.

I'm not saying it WAS damage incurred after you left, but how is it reasonable for Tesla to take responsibility for it?

Agree. Tesla is not responsible for any damage that happens after you take delivery. Thay why they do the inspection on delivery.

Did we not read the same post? Unless I read it wrong, it reads to me as though the damage is from the weld marks on the underside of the hood. Further, it sounds like he was given the car via home delivery where they drop it off, contact-less in a hotbed of the pandemic.

Sheesh, is this the type of community Tesla breeds?

Did we not read the same post? Unless I read it wrong, it reads to me as though the damage is from the weld marks on the underside of the hood. Further, it sounds like he was given the car via home delivery where they drop it off, contact-less in a hotbed of the pandemic.

Sheesh, is this the type of community Tesla breeds?
It was not clear to me from reading the post that this was a home delivery. If so, my take is bad.

If those crappy welds were the only issue, I can see the OP letting it slide, but the bad welds have created bumps on the exterior side of the hood, so that would bug the s*#! out of me.

have you tried contacting Tesla Legal? How about another service center first?

Can you post a good picture of the bumps for us to see?

Reactions: gabeincal
I noted nothing when I picked up my car. And I've gone 4 times about different things that I noticed well after 1,000 miles and they've fixed all of them at no cost. I'm going in a 5th for a rattle that they still haven't fixed, and they don't question it at all.

I think you need to start looking into a different SC.

2 months later Tesla is fixing cosmetic defects, obviuosly not paints or dings that can happen during normal driving. They have been excellent and i have a third mobile service for tomorrow. Majority of them were panel gap or inner trim loose etc

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
If those crappy welds were the only issue, I can see the OP letting it slide, but the bad welds have created bumps on the exterior side of the hood, so that would bug the s*#! out of me.

have you tried contacting Tesla Legal? How about another service center first?

Can you post a good picture of the bumps for us to see?
Yes on the other side of those crappy welds the metal is raised and gives the effect of two raised pimples on the hood. I will post some pics of the hood it is impossible to see in direct sun light. However in any shadow it sticks out really bad.

These are not issues that he could have caused. It doesn't matter when he noticed them and asked for them to be fixed. What matters is the car has a defect from manufacturing. It's not like he welded the hood himself.
Thank you P3dStealth also it’s not been 4 months. I took the first service appointment I could get which they kept pushing back waiting for parts. I have been going back and forth with them since that first appointment for 3 months.

Thank you P3dStealth also it’s not been 4 months. I took the first service appointment I could get which they kept pushing back waiting for parts. I have been going back and forth with them since that first appointment for 3 months.

Yeah, I got my car in June, and every service appointment is at least 2 weeks away. I can see how it can be pushed back a lot.

I am hearing so many bad stories about Tesla. Terrible issues that they refuse to fix....”within spec”. Bumpers falling off in rain - “act of God”.
Another thing that bothers me, it appears there is no recourse. A different SC is not an option, that’s a 120 mile drive one way (my “local” one is 40 miles one way). And I hear the don’t give loaners, just Uber credits. I don’t know anything about Uber, but even if it was viable, I certainly don’t want to be in a car with a stranger.
I would much rather have a real dealer. Great dealers have a vested interest in keeping you happy. And, you have a RSM to go to with any problems. Tesla, complain to an app or Twitter?
I keep postponing a new Tesla purchase hoping they get their act together. Maybe I can convince myself, “It’s the Software, Stupid!”

I am hearing so many bad stories about Tesla. Terrible issues that they refuse to fix....”within spec”. Bumpers falling off in rain - “act of God”.
Another thing that bothers me, it appears there is no recourse. A different SC is not an option, that’s a 120 mile drive one way (my “local” one is 40 miles one way). And I hear the don’t give loaners, just Uber credits. I don’t know anything about Uber, but even if it was viable, I certainly don’t want to be in a car with a stranger.
I would much rather have a real dealer. Great dealers have a vested interest in keeping you happy. And, you have a RSM to go to with any problems. Tesla, complain to an app or Twitter?
I keep postponing a new Tesla purchase hoping they get their act together. Maybe I can convince myself, “It’s the Software, Stupid!”
Just remember people who have an issue are FAR more likely to post than the many who get good service. We have had our Model 3 for 47,000 miles and 30 months and are still very pleased with it. As an early VIN there were a few issues (glove box popping open, frunk not opening, and a charge port issue) all fixed promptly, easily and painlessly via a mobile Ranger. The charge port was even pointed out to me by the Ranger for which he made a separate trip to fix. So yes we had issues but the car is awesome, we have never been left with an unworkable car and service has been super easy.