Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla removed power on the P100D. P85D is quicker

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From a stand still, my P85D is much more brutal than my P100D. (Until 40-50kmt. Then the P100D just smash it).
The same thing on P90D.
Have no effect to use max battery power. The first "meters", the P100D is a slow ass car.
I have both cars. I didn't notice this before I got back to my P85D. (The throttle response is way better).
I understand Tesla trying to save the driveunit a bit. But if a old P85D / P90D can handle the starts. A P100D should do it.
Some friends with the same cars also noticed this when I told them.
Have the P100D always been like this? Or did they reduced the power over a SW update in the past?

Who go to the track to test "0-30"mph / kmt.?
I'm not saying the P85D is faster to 60/ 120mph.
Just much quicker of the line. It has much better throttle response and it's quicker the first 30-40(?).
Just slam the power when going 4mph or so. You have to wait for the P100D..
(Wait compared to P85D /P90D).
(in reverse, even my S70D is quicker and more responding).

• Funny
Reactions: P85_DA
Who go to the track to test "0-30"mph / kmt.?
I'm not saying the P85D is faster to 60/ 120mph.
Just much quicker of the line. It has much better throttle response and it's quicker the first 30-40(?).
Just slam the power when going 4mph or so. You have to wait for the P100D..
(Wait compared to P85D /P90D).
(in reverse, even my S70D is quicker and more responding).

Time slips wont show you 0-30. It's the 60' that matters

Reactions: St Charles
In the city, you can't always go 60mhp.
Often you just want to get your ass across the street or out a roundabout. The P100D is the slowest performance tesla doing this now.
Going from you garage and out in the street, P85D / P90D eats you.
Neck hurtig starts? You need a P90D to tow you the first couple of meters..

I traded a Chevy Sports Sedan on a P85.
That is an obscure 4dr. sedan based on the Holden Commodore essentially a Camaro stretched 2" looked like a Malibu/Impala. 6.2l 6speed manual or Automatic .
P85 is much quicker to 60mph though the Sports Sedan did suffer a fair amount of "torque management" where the throttle inputs are softened by the computer. Either way the idea a muscle car will be more responsive than a P model Tesla is silliness.

In the city, you can't always go 60mhp.
Often you just want to get your ass across the street or out a roundabout. The P100D is the slowest performance tesla doing this now.
Going from you garage and out in the street, P85D / P90D eats you.
Neck hurtig starts? You need a P90D to tow you the first couple of meters..

I picked up my V8 pickup truck after repairs and haven't driven it much in months. I needed to pull out into a small opening in heavy traffic. I couldn't figure out why it was moving so slowly and kept my foot on the floor. Eventually the rear wheels started to spin and I'm still not doing 30 mph. lol! I've gotten so used to my P100D that I'm ruined for any other vehicle.

It is possible there is something wrong with one of your cars. But really unlikely that Tesla has recently nerfed EVERYONES P100D and you are the only one that noticed.

Here are a bunch of API and CANBus logs on performance runs. Not bum dyno feelings or even single metric track slips, but rather detailed power and imputed torque measurements.

If you really want to know what is happening with your cars, buy the cable and logging hardware and install the software to get the data. Happy to help.

Last edited:
I have had a P85D and now a P100D ...I don’t agree with your assessment ;):eek:...P100D is more punch from the first stomp of the pedal :oops:
I felt the same thing. Until I would move my P85D.. The throttle response is much better. And more aggressive.
See how slow it ramps up the power.
Its nothing wrong with my P100D.
More people in Norway notice this after they tried.
A friend of mine has the same cars. Reports the same thing.
It's not a secret that tesla has removed a lot of power(in the start) in P85 P85D etc. This cars used to have fantastic throttle response. Not anymore..
I understand tesla do this to save drive units.
But they have removed too much from the P100D.
If you don't notice, that's great.
A lot of people didn't notice when they removed a lot of top power a while ago..
Some of us did..

I felt the same thing. Until I would move my P85D.. The throttle response is much better. And more aggressive.
It's not a secret that tesla has removed a lot of power(in the start) in P85 P85D etc. This cars used to have fantastic throttle response. Not anymore..
A lot of people didn't notice when they removed a lot of top power a while ago..
Some of us did..

You sure your P100D isn’t in chill mode and your P85D is in Ludicrous?;):eek:

Some of us did..

Easy enough to tell without being subjective. Look at the power output meter at a given speed. That tells all.

1. Get dragy or go to a drag strip to get real data. Worthless without that.
2. If real data confirms something is wrong w p100dl then share that with service and tell us what they say.

Before those happen this thread is worthless speculation.

Reactions: Ludalicious
All of this arguing about how the different cars "feel" could easily be resolved with a few runs at a track.
I know it's more fun to speculate about the "feel" of a car and make blanket statements based on your feelings but this is something that can be easily measured... might take the fun out of the argument but then you could all go back to arguing about which sports team is the "best".

Reactions: Ludalicious
Easy enough to tell without being subjective. Look at the power output meter at a given speed. That tells all.

...Get dragy or go to a drag strip to get real data...
If the car 0-60 times are actually slow at full state of charge and the power meter shows reduced power you still won't know why, but with the CANBus graphs you can know if the max torque setting is low. Battery power, Max power and max torque are the only levers Tesla has. There is no throttle mapping.

If the car 0-60 times are actually slow at full state of charge and the power meter shows reduced power you still won't know why, but with the CANBus graphs you can know if the max torque setting is low. Battery power, Max power and max torque are the only levers Tesla has. There is no throttle mapping.
How do you know there is no throttle mapping?

How do you know there is no throttle mapping?
Because there is a max torque and max power setting. And at full pedal the cars accelerate at max torque until they hit the max power.

It is possible for Tesla to nerf your car. But that is how they would do it, either by limiting max torque or max power. I am not sure they have code though to isolate an individual car. But we did see the class of P90DLs get limited that way.

There is a counter for how many hard launches you do. So Tesla could put code in to lower your torque setting after so many, much like the rumored code to slow supercharging after excessive use. But if you pull the CANBus data you would know.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: bredi and outdoors