Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla rental scheme

Would you use such a platform?

• Yes

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • No

Votes: 7 58.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

This is my first post in this forum and I wanted to see what people think about a following ( I will use an Acceptance Criteria from the Software world :) ):

As a Tesla Owner
When I travel to a location X ( New York, London, Mumbai, etc. )
Then I want to be able to drive Tesla like the one I own at home
And do not pay large fees for that

As a Tesla Owner
When I don't use my Tesla
Then I want to be able to generate some income from it

(optional - if platform opened to public )

As a Tesla Enthusiast
When I don't own a Tesla
And I would like to have a chance to occasionally drive it
Then I want to be able to have an easy access to Tesla vehicles rental

An idea would be to have a platform where users could:
  • Book and rent a Tesla in a location X
  • Rent out their own Tesla on selected dates
Payments model could be following: ( already used by e.g. skill exchange platforms )
  • Wallet with credit from renting out an own Tesla
  • Walled with credit for Tesla rentals when travelling
  • Credit transferrable between wallets
  • Ability top up/withdraw with CC/Paypal/Bank etc

The existing version of wallet is either cash or bank account (or Paypal, Bank, etc).

Platforms such as Turo can be used for renting out and renting high end vehicles.

I've never understood renting out something not intended as a business investment. Too many risks.

Also, I've never liked BDD style acceptance criteria.

I've never understood renting out something not intended as a business investment. Too many risks.
The Main concept here is that when you own a Tesla and travel a lot at the same time, you still want to drive one in other locations. Renting out the one that you own would be optional here as I described.

Also, I've never liked BDD style acceptance criteria.
BDD style acceptance criteria wouldn't be a part of the solution here.

This would be optional.

The renting out your own car may be optional, but if you don’t get a significant number of people doing so then where are you going to get all the cars that people can rent?

Additionally I suspect that you may run into insurance issues. I believe that all normal auto insurance policies specifically prohibit renting out your car to other drivers. Turo provides it’s own insurance for people using it’s service.

While it’s a nice concept I think that you’re either going to wind up with pretty high prices by the time you take a cut, you pay for a supplemental insurance policy, and pay the owner of the car. I also suspect that the amount going to the owner of the car will be sufficiently small that few people will find it worthwhile and you’ll have very limited availability.

If you can make it work, more power to you, but I don’t think it’s really viable.

An idea would be to have a platform where users could:
  • Book and rent a Tesla in a location X
  • Rent out their own Tesla on selected dates

Interesting idea, but might be a little difficult or costly to implement.
(I mean covering in details issues such as liability insurance, properties damage,.... )

Also delivery issue if a little remote from a major international airport.
(Could the car been parked at the airport in advance and the renter would use a phone app to open the car)

This model would be more appropriate for a long term rental.
(Few weeks instead of few days)

I was thinking a an additional value for people exchanging home for vacation,
and looking for having a Tesla (or any EV) as an additional criteria.

I would be more inclined to participate (renting out my own) if I knew that only other Tesla owners would be using it. A closed community, less likely to have "let's see what this thing can do" test drivers.

I'm going on a trip to DFW area this weekend for a friend's retirement ceremony from the Air Force and wanted to drive him to the ceremony in style (Model X to accommodate family members). Looked at Turo. One is "reasonable" at $200 a day, but still too much when it will sit most of the time. Others are up to $500 a day. Not dropping a car payment on a 3-day rental.

Hello,

Some insight from my company GSD Rides that does some of these things. We currently rent Tesla and Exotics. When it come to Tesla we find that many of our renters are in fact Tesla owners whom now dislike the idea of driving anything other than a Tesla. Whether it be environmental, Lifestyle, preference, or for many it's a pain in the butt to downgrade to what now seem caveman in technology. Tesla has a very dedicated following. Which helps a lot with the concept that you are going for. Yet there are a lot of problem you have to look forward to. It a nightmare especially as rental companies have some of the highest startup failure rates.

We primarily deal in Boston Tesla rentals. We also work throughout New England and also Maui Hawaii. We find people in certain states are more open to peer to peer car sharing than others. It's becoming more and more accepted everyday. No where close to 100% accepted. Nor will it ever be. As handing the keys to your car to a stranger is rightfully questionable. With the right system in place. It does make the idea much easy to accept.

Turo, Getaround, Carshare, DriveShare, ZipCar, etc are some of the companies experimenting with it. Many have tried and gone under. The big name companies Hertz, Enterprise are working on car share programs. Tesla themselves has a car share program in the works. The concept isn't going away. It just requires a lot of roads to be paved before it's highly accepted.

Always glad to help with any questions you may have, or help with ideas if you would like.
For others in you are interested to rent a Tesla in Boston, New England, or Maui Hawaii. Please take a look at our website. www.gsdrides.com