Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla requiring cars to update to new firmware

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow, I just saw this.

I'm the original owner of a 2015 P85DL Model S and for the past 4 years I've carefully dismissed the software update message once/day whenever I've driven the car. As a result I'm still happily running software Version 7.1 from 2016. I was even able to work with the local SC to NOT update the car's software when I needed my Model S door handle fixed, my airbag replaced, and even when the entire rear drive unit failed and needed replacement under warranty.

Not only have I been driving AP1 hands-free for the past 4 years with no nags, but my battery range hasn't been decreased by Tesla, the music collection on my USB drive still plays properly, I still have split-screen functionality, the user interface (with large colored icons) remains optimized for the portrait orientation of the Model S/X instead of the landscape Model 3, etc.

A month ago I bought a new 2020 Model X Performance, which of course has all the latest Version 10 software, so I'm now quite familiar with what I've been "missing" on my 2015 Model S, which I still intend to keep for a long time.

No thanks, Tesla -- I'd rather lose "connected vehicle" functionality to my Model S in order to maintain software Version 7.1 with its original nag-free AP1 functionality, along with decent battery range and speedy Supercharging. At least after May 1 I'll no longer have to dismiss a software update message every morning.

• Informative
Reactions: jpfive