Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Reveals What Cars Tesla Buyers Trade In

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TMC Staff

May 19, 2017
Almost all of the buyers previously were driving conventional gas cars.

Tesla noted in its Q1 2021 report that 98% of Tesla trade-ins are internal combustion cars (ICE) cars, including hybrids we assume.

That’s not surprising, as 97% of overall global sales of new cars today are non-plug-ins, and in the past it was close to 100%.

Only a small part of Tesla customers (2%) previously were driving EVs from other manufacturers.

An interesting thing is the brand rank, which reveals that most customers were driving non-premium brands (Toyota, Honda and Ford are the top three). Premium brands appear to represent more than a third of trade-ins and the top three brands are BMW, Lexus and Audi.

“ICE vehicles comprised 97% of cars sold globally in 2020 and 98% of Tesla trade-ins.1 As more OEMs join our mission by launching EVs, we believe consumer confidence in EVs continues to increase and more customers are willing to make the...

Continue reading...

Great news. More vehicles without a fossil link coming on the road. Tesla is the only dependable proven brand I own and will continue to purchase. We love the beta FSD and saw it develop over the last 6 years. All our Teslas have this and what it does is simply unbelievable. No other company comes close.

• Funny
Reactions: InternetDude
This might make for a good article but a lot of Tesla's consumers are well educated and a big chunk of them understand that Tesla doesn't want a non-Tesla trade. Tesla typically low-balls trade-in offers which sends educated consumers elsewhere to dump their current ride.
I was offered $700 (lol) for a clean 2013 civic with about 150000km. Sold online in less than a day for $6000.

Reactions: imola.zhp
This might make for a good article but a lot of Tesla's consumers are well educated and a big chunk of them understand that Tesla doesn't want a non-Tesla trade. Tesla typically low-balls trade-in offers which sends educated consumers elsewhere to dump their current ride.
They clearly do not want trades.
I think they offered me about 24K for my 2017 X5. I easily sold it outright for $31,500.

Reactions: imola.zhp
When I purchased my 2020 Model 3 they gave me slightly over KBB value for my 2016 Camry SE.

Right, some people have done ok or done well, but for the most part Tesla low-balls trade-in's. Why? Because they just dump them at auction. When you go to a traditional dealership, you have a "new" area and a "used" area. While Tesla does take in and resell used Tesla's, you don't see other, non-Tesla, used vehicles for sale at their dealerships/stores/locations. Taking in your non-Tesla is more of a headache for them than anything, paperwork, paperwork, paperwork. For this reason they typically, but not in all cases, low-ball trade-ins. Those that are not low-balled I speculate are just a glitch in Tesla's algorithm for determining the vehicles value. As a shareholder, I hope that after such cars are sold at auction for much less than they paid for them, something gets flagged so they fix the algorithm.

• Informative
Reactions: YBLee
Right, some people have done ok or done well, but for the most part Tesla low-balls trade-in's. Why? Because they just dump them at auction. When you go to a traditional dealership, you have a "new" area and a "used" area. While Tesla does take in and resell used Tesla's, you don't see other, non-Tesla, used vehicles for sale at their dealerships/stores/locations. Taking in your non-Tesla is more of a headache for them than anything, paperwork, paperwork, paperwork. For this reason they typically, but not in all cases, low-ball trade-ins. Those that are not low-balled I speculate are just a glitch in Tesla's algorithm for determining the vehicles value. As a shareholder, I hope that after such cars are sold at auction for much less than they paid for them, something gets flagged so they fix the algorithm.
I don’t know if it’s specific to Tesla in Canada. But I was told they aren’t buying the car at all. It’s a direct offer from the auction house to buy your car that comes through Tesla’s site. I had some questions when entering the info for my trade in, and this is what the SA attendant told me.
Could be complete BS, but that’s what I was told. And it makes some sense they do it this way. They avoid the liability and the hassle of getting rid of them, and staying with the core business they want to be in.

Reactions: OrthoSurg
Traded my 2013 GMC 4X4 2500 Duramax with Allison trans for 33000. Traded for Model 3 LR with a beautiful red paint job. Took delivery in late August. Like everything about the car except phantom braking and the cost of heating battery and the cabin. With truck, heat was a by-product of combustion engines; now, heat costs much more than anticipated. Lesson learned a bit late but still like handling and performance, and the red paint is awesome.

• Informative
Reactions: YBLee