Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Roadster Prototype Limited Slip Differential

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
teslaroadsterlsd.JPG

Prototype Tesla part for the Roadster. I bought this unit from another member for my Tesla powered race car (See thread titled "Tesla Powered Cobra Race Car"). I thought it was identical to a model S differential, however it's not quite (spline count and external dimensions are the same, but axle shoulder is different). Search this forum for previous history on this unit. Perfect for anybody taking their Roadster out for slaloms or track days. Never installed. $850 plus shipping

Yes, he was stretching it in the ad to get the sale saying it would fit the Model S. If I recall he posted it for $750 or so before it sold... I was thinking of purchasing it but then didn't, I decided the Roadster is safer on the street with an open diff than a locking / limited slip since the weight is rear favored. Great on the track.

Also this diff will not just drop into the Roadster's gearbox, you need to machine down part of the case in order to have proper clearance... So putting your stock one back in may not be an option after that.

Last edited:
To be fair to the original seller, it might have been me who told him it may fit the Model S. He provided dimensions that I asked for - I just assumed the unit would interchange once I saw a couple of the basic dimensions.were the same.

I don't believe the casing has to be machined, just clearanced with a die grinder or file.

Thanks! Also you do come across as a very honest person. I just recalled the original seller modified his ad to say it did fit the Model S, so possibly after you discussed it with him he modified the ad.

TEG knew someone, I believe a former Tesla employee who installed an identical diff and they mentioned the gearbox need to be modified to accommodate:

"Built in Australia...
The gearbox needs to be slightly modified as one of the internal castings protrudes too much.
Gearbox oil needs to be Castrol Syntax Limited Slip 75W-90."

Possibly that means just a file down of some aluminum?

Here's the original posting:
Roadster and Model S Sport Differential - No Longer Available