Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Roadster vanity license plates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Somewhat the same here in Ontario (CA).

You fill out a form with up to three choices...hand it in to the clerk...they input the info to the MOT computer...it either gets accepted or rejected...if accepted, you can buy it on the spot.

I don't know if our new "Green" plates work in the same manner though.

Ottawa Doug has a green plate...is it a vanity plate?...if you don't mind me asking Doug, how did you go about acquiring it?

Ottawa Doug has a green plate...is it a vanity plate?...if you don't mind me asking Doug, how did you go about acquiring it?

They don't allow Green Vehicle plates to be vanity plates. They are all of the format GVAA 000 (or VEAA 000 for Vehicle Ecologique).

Telsa (Hans) got the plates for me, but according to the MTO website the process is exactly the same (and the price is the same) as for any normal plate. You just have to have a "qualifying vehicle". Currently the complete list of qualifying vehicles is:

"Tesla Motors Inc, 2010 Roadster Convertible".
(end of list)

Doug

Ah, I wondered about that (vanity green plates)...I was trying to figure out what your acronym GVAA meant :biggrin:

Thanks for the info Doug!:smile:

They don't allow Green Vehicle plates to be vanity plates. They are all of the format GVAA 000 (or VEAA 000 for Vehicle Ecologique).

Telsa (Hans) got the plates for me, but according to the MTO website the process is exactly the same (and the price is the same) as for any normal plate. You just have to have a "qualifying vehicle". Currently the complete list of qualifying vehicles is:

"Tesla Motors Inc, 2010 Roadster Convertible".
(end of list)

Doug

Soooo, I have gone through this entire 32 page thread and made a list of all of the plates that remotely appeal to me. I called up the state DMV (Georgia) and talked the clerk into checking a couple for me (all taken!) but I've got a list of 35+ plates to check. I don't think I'll be able to talk someone into checking all of them :) ... Does anyone know of a way to check plate availability, either nationally or specifically for Georgia?

Thanks guys for the feedback. I guess I'll try making periodic calls to the DMV to whittle down the list. They allow me to ask for 3 checks over the phone, so it'll just take me 10 phone calls to get through the list :) No big deal, I'll just spread it out over a few days so I don't get on their enemy list.

Last edited:
Unfavorable post at jalopnik titled "Tesla Owners Have The Smuggest Vanity Plates" along with some uneducated comments

http://jalopnik.com/5636544/tesla-owners-have-the-smuggest-vanity-plates
As A "stared" commenter on Jalopnik, I went back through that thread and "promoted" some good comments and replied to others, trying to bring some facts into the discussion... I'm not quite sure why both the Jalopnik editorial staff and its commenters are so dead set against TM...

Greetings,
David

Here are a few ideas. All of the plates below (with one exception :cool: ) are currently available for the taking in California:

SOLR 4ME
SOLR 2GO <- except this one - reserved it for myself just now :biggrin:
SOLR YES
SOLR FTW
SOLR MY♥
♥EV SOLR
PLUGZ N
PLUGZ+N
240V PWR
SLNT PWR
EV RULZ
EV XTASY