Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla S 2014 bought without navigation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I bought a second hand Tesla, and found out after a while that there was no navigation, the map is working, but no navigation to destinations you can search up. Had the car to service to fix the navigation since I thought there was something wrong, but the service center told me the car was bought without navigation.

My question: Is that correct, that you could buy a 2014 TMS without navigation?
If so, can navigation be added today?

Cheers,
Alex

My question: Is that correct, that you could buy a 2014 TMS without navigation?
If so, can navigation be added today?

Yes, navigation was part of the Tech package and some people opted not to pay for it. (Navigation became standard later as part of their effort to remove "range anxiety".)

I thought that Navigation required a different MCU, so if Tesla offered an upgrade it would probably cost ~$2,500. Of course if it hasn't been replaced already your MCU is likely to die soon anyhow, but I don't recall people reporting getting navigation when they paid to have their MCU replaced. (Some have reported getting the LTE upgrade for free as part of the MCU upgrade.)

There probably is no 3G MCU's left around. I think some were asked if they wanted to pay for LTE upgrade, declined, and Tech probably didn't want to take the time to disassemble the new MCU and swap modems. Plus the sticker shows the serial numbers for modem wont be matching after a swap so declining LTE upgrade will likely result in free LTE upgrade. ;)