Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla S Plaid battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was going to take a long trip so I charged my battery to 100 percent, it should go to 394 miles but only went to 374 miles in my 2021 S Plaid. It is now losing more charge over night. Is this common. I have 17,000 miles on the car

How much charge overnight? It is common for the batteries to show a drop, especially as they get colder. Also speed and a ton of other factors play in to total vehicle efficiency. Without knowing details I think you are doing well.

More info would help such as average highway speed, temp, elevation changes, precipitation, headwind vs tailwind etc. Even tire pressure plays a role.

Upvote 0
More info would help such as average highway speed, temp, elevation changes, precipitation, headwind vs tailwind etc. Even tire pressure plays a role.
I don’t think OP said he was able to drive 374 miles (that would be impressive, given how optimistic Tesla’s range numbers are) but rather what the dash/mobile app stated as the rated miles at 100%. Rated miles are only affected by battery degradation, and do not take into account driving style, speed, elevation, temperature, tire pressure, etc. Oh they do take into account wheel size though, so if a Plaid was delivered with 21” wheels, rated miles start at 348 instead of 396 miles with 19” wheels.

This means a degradation of 5.5% for OP’s Plaid, which isn’t too bad. Mine is sitting at 387 miles with 20,000 miles on the odometer, so just 2.2% loss, but I think I got lucky with this battery (I also only charge to 60% most of the time, only a handful of times to 100% in the last 18 months).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
How much charge overnight? It is common for the batteries to show a drop, especially as they get colder. Also speed and a ton of other factors play in to total vehicle efficiency. Without knowing details I think you are doing well.

Go look at your energy graph. It will tell you what is consuming the battery while parked or driving.

Upvote 0
I don’t think OP said he was able to drive 374 miles (that would be impressive, given how optimistic Tesla’s range numbers are) but rather what the dash/mobile app stated as the rated miles at 100%. Rated miles are only affected by battery degradation, and do not take into account driving style, speed, elevation, temperature, tire pressure, etc. Oh they do take into account wheel size though, so if a Plaid was delivered with 21” wheels, rated miles start at 348 instead of 396 miles with 19” wheels.

This means a degradation of 5.5% for OP’s Plaid, which isn’t too bad. Mine is sitting at 387 miles with 20,000 miles on the odometer, so just 2.2% loss, but I think I got lucky with this battery (I also only charge to 60% most of the time, only a handful of times to 100% in the last 18 months).
This isn't completely true. It's possible that's it's battery degradation, but it's determined by the BMS which needs to be reset/re-calibrated from time to time. My 2021 MY with 30,000 miles was reading 276, but after I reset the BMS (per the advice of a mobile tech) it now reads 324 miles at 100% and I charge to 80-90 most of the time and hit 100% maybe once per month.

• Informative
Reactions: MarcG
Upvote 0
This isn't completely true. It's possible that's it's battery degradation, but it's determined by the BMS which needs to be reset/re-calibrated from time to time. My 2021 MY with 30,000 miles was reading 276, but after I reset the BMS (per the advice of a mobile tech) it now reads 324 miles at 100% and I charge to 80-90 most of the time and hit 100% maybe once per month.
Interesting, thanks for sharing! How does one reset the BMS?

Upvote 0