Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Sale Scam??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So here’s some good information that may be useful.

These smaller car buying dealerships are trying to presell your car as fast as humanly possible. They’re putting up all the money up front, but likely will send your car to an auction or an email list with the photos you have sent them and get bids.

Chances are when they sent an offer and opened dialogue, they already had a buyer on the line.

My 2022 Model Y was sold on June 25th and is already at a Nissan dealership for sale 7k more than I sold it for. The company/dealership that bought my car was based in TX and brokered it to a franchise dealership in AZ.

It’s been all of two weeks.

A lot of times, these dealers operate nationwide because all they need are photos of the car and can then sell it for a small profit to whomever needs it. They have very little overhead compared to franchise dealers, and are happy making just a little bit.

Their apprehensiveness is likely because it would cause a delay in their process.

Nonetheless, if you didn’t feel comfortable selling it to them then they didn’t do a good job. But that doesn’t mean they are scamming you.
I totally agree with this. A lot of the dealers end up affiliated with auction companies (think Manheim) and other dealers. They need to be able to provide the title within 30 days or else they get into trouble.

I’m pretty sure there are many more nearly identical cars like the OP available in the nation without having the hassle of working out a lien, so the dealer decided it was probably not worth their time to deal with the OP.

We sold a 3 this way a few weeks ago, but I did extensive research on the dealer - obtained driver license, looked up dealership on the states website, etc. Most people offering asking price were dealers, the private buyers all wanted to haggle. If carmax and others are willing to pay asking, I’d use those.

You are getting defensive. I'm only trying to say that a car can just disappear, but you don't like being wrong. :) Wont see your reply. Blocked
GREAT JOB DETECTIVE!!! Nobody knew it was ever possible for a car to disappear until you came along and solved this mystery! I mean it's not like many stolen vehicles are chopped up & sold for parts right in your own city. Which is why... *say it with me* People have insurance!!

But thank you for this incredible revelation you have now contributed to this thread!! And thanks for the favor of "blocking" me. This conversation has proven absolutely useless.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: T-Mom
GREAT JOB DETECTIVE!!! Nobody knew it was ever possible for a car to disappear until you came along and solved this mystery! I mean it's not like many stolen vehicles are chopped up & sold for parts right in your own city. Which is why... *say it with me* People have insurance!!

But thank you for this incredible revelation you have now contributed to this thread!! And thanks for the favor of "blocking" me. This conversation has proven absolutely useless.
I agree with desert, you sure get defensive when people simply want to help correct your mis-information. I think it is all done with good intentions yet you dont see it that way. You are the sort of person I also put on an ignore list. Try to think positive.