Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

tesla selling without storefronts?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would like to know from those who have been following the subject how potential owners will get a chance to see and drive a Tesla before buying?

As expensive as storefronts are I don't understand how people new to the brand will feel good about buying a car off a website, sight unseen.

They will still have showrooms. You can still schedule test drives. Schedule a Test Drive You just have to make the actual purchase and view prices online.

Also, if you want an extended test drive I would recommend renting one for a day from turo.com. That's what I did so I had 0 sales pressure and had a full 24 hours.

There was a time when the Tesla showrooms offered extended test drives, when you could have the car for a weekend. One of my friends did this before ordering his Model S, he wanted to make sure that he could get the car in and out of his very narrow garage.

In any event, neither my friend or I, through my three Tesla purchases, ever, ever felt any sales pressure at any time. In fact, it was the Owner Advisor who would always make the parting remarks with us.

Apart from the obligatory follow-up email, I never felt I was under any inducement to purchase a Tesla, certainly nothing like the four to six hour, three-predatory-salesmen gauntlet I would have to run during each of my six previous Honda dealership purchases.

Note: "Three predatory salesmen," meaning car salesman, sales closer, and finally and most dangerously, the F&I guy. Same routine every damn time, where each would waste your time and wear you down in the hope that you'd cave, just to get the whole sorry experience over and done with.

Reactions: Russell
Well I did, and so did a gillion other people on here :D
Heck, for that matter, I just bought a dozen pair of underwear through the internet sight unseen. Of course it was not as expensive as my car :eek:

Well yes, I bought the car sight unseen too. But I am the first to tell you I am not the typical new car buyer. Your definition of gillion is different than mine. The whole count on this board is a rounding error in car sales.
From what I read in the WSJ this morning they will have a few showrooms.
It just seems to me Tesla has a rather high hurdle to get over with the general public. Making the car more unavailable to the back-country isn't going to give that warm fuzzy feeling to people looking for a new car. Perhaps the bean counters are saying Tesla's market is in big liberal cites and there is no need to go elsewhere.

Well yes, I bought the car sight unseen too. But I am the first to tell you I am not the typical new car buyer. Your definition of gillion is different than mine. The whole count on this board is a rounding error in car sales.
From what I read in the WSJ this morning they will have a few showrooms.
It just seems to me Tesla has a rather high hurdle to get over with the general public. Making the car more unavailable to the back-country isn't going to give that warm fuzzy feeling to people looking for a new car. Perhaps the bean counters are saying Tesla's market is in big liberal cites and there is no need to go elsewhere.
yup, I can go along with that thought a bit. My reply was mostly sick humor o_O

In 1999 while living in Puerto Rico, I purchased an Oldsmobile Alero (2000) direct from a web site. At that time it was GMbuypower.com You was assigned a sales staff and a location to pick up the car. All transactions and questions had to go through the portal. I felt there was great savings over a dealer visit. Credit unit FedEx the check, all signed on line. Wife flew to FL, picked up the car in less than hour, drove to shipping company and the rest was history. I really thought they were on to something selling on line. Just the lack of hassle was so worth the online experience. I think this is exciting times for Tesla to be all on line. We purchase groceries now online. There’s an app for everything. Robinhood started out as just an App. We send money on line to our friends phone. I think Tesla can work on a more exciting interface through the building process. They can do something similar to how domino’s animates pizza making on the web.
My question would be, who is buying a Tesla without going to tesla.com?

Think of this idea. Take your online banks, credit unions and any big lender. have a small deal where they can do affiliate links through their web page to sell a Tesla along with a competitive Tesla interest rate. The advantage is not more exposure for Tesla, but an avenue that can sit down with a potential customer at the loan officer's desk and help with the online sale. Customer walks in, get's the loan approved, selects the features they want and with in 3 days, car delivers to their home. Hello Elon, you listening?