Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Semi electric truck is finally about to go into production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They are going to need some long heavy charging cables
Tesla has a patent for in ground charging and cooling. But as we have seen here the Pepsi chargers are of the traditional format. With a somewhat heavy cable to handle over 1 MW.
1646839994174.png
Tesla patent shows new way to automated high-speed charging with external cooling

Not sure where this will
Be charged? Not very many charging stalls will fit this. Unless they are building stations on dedicated routes.
I've seen a semi charging up here in Napa Valley, months ago. All they do is pull up sideways (hardly ever any cars blocking ALL the stalls) and plug in. They have charging cables on both sides, so I guess they can pull up either side. They use the same charging apparatus we use for our cars.

As far as charging, it just takes a little longer. If Frito puts in a charger, or a bunch of them, the trucks could charge overnight, maybe with someone switching trucks as needed, OR they could install more chargers. Might be that Tesla will install the chargers for them. I think the idea was that they could pull between two chargers and fill up twice as fast. But don't you worry, however it ends up, it will be great.

Not all trucks are long haul. Most do short runs from the rail head to the local markets. Even "long haul" might only be one "tank" full, ~500 miles or less.

And yes, I've driven semis. Just in case you wondered.

• Funny
Reactions: Dave EV and Rocky_H
I've seen a semi charging up here in Napa Valley, months ago. All they do is pull up sideways (hardly ever any cars blocking ALL the stalls) and plug in. They have charging cables on both sides, so I guess they can pull up either side. They use the same charging apparatus we use for our cars.

What the heck? That is ridiculously false and has been known so for years. Why would you say that? There are pictures of the kind of adapter boxes and combining apparatus they need to use the connect to Superchargers that have been posted online since 2019. This article documents it very well and has pictures of the equipment used.

The port on the semi is very different than the ports on our cars, so no, they do not "use the same charging apparatus we use for our cars". It has 8 big pins in a rectangular formation with 4 on top and 4 on bottom (picture shown in that article). So for using Superchargers, they have to take the Supercharger cables and plug them into a power distribution box (pictures also shown in the article). They can plug multiple Supercharger cables into it to combine for extra power, and then run the semi charging cable out of that into the semi's port.

I suppose it is possible that they have modified at least one of the semi prototypes to have a Tesla car charging port so it can use the Supercharger plug directly, but there haven't been reports or pictures of that yet, and that's not how the semi's port is going to be on the real ones.

Reactions: Olle and AMPd
I would imagine the first application for these will be for companies like Pepsi who can use them for in-city or semi-rural local delivery and install their own chargers. Of all the points a truck is used, a smart truck which only uses power when it actually moves - no idling - and returns to a home base each night is the ideal application, especially when it involves stop-and-go city driving where a lot of energy is expended starting going, and for the EV world, can be recaptured in braking... Add in the smarts to distribute the load of overnight charging multiple vehicles to reduce peak energy costs, and -bonus.

As for charging - if all it needs to do is add a few miles, then perhaps that charger adapter box allows them to use just one charger instead of combining several?