Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Service can't fix vibration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let's disect this one more time:

You had no vibration, got new tires, then started feeling a vibration - correct?

Where do you feel the vibration?
- If it's in the steering wheel, there is a problem with the front wheels
- If you feel it in your seat, there is a problem with the rear wheels

Does the vibration only get stronger above 50mph, or does it become less intense as you go faster?
- Typically, if it's wheel balance, you would feel it the most when the frequency of wheel rotation equals the resonance frequency of your suspension. The closer those match, the stronger the vibration. Go slower or faster, the vibration becomes less noticeable - UNLESS it is so extreme that the wheel wobbles no matter what.

Some have already mentioned the road force balancer. I NEVER have tires done at a shop that doesn't have one. In an emergency, a shop that has one would be my 2nd stop. It's money well spent!

Since it sounds that the vibration is pretty extreme in your case, I'd have a shop that has a road force balancer unmount and inspect all tires, then re-mount and road force balance.

Ask them to check for roundness of the rim and tire. Many years ago I had a car where we had extreme trouble to get rid of vibrations. Turns out the rims where about 1mm out of round, and so was the tire. Had the tire shaved to be round, road force balanced, and all was good. Today I'd replace the rims, but at the time I didn't have the means to do that.

Also, when the car is on the lift, rotate the wheels. Do they rotate freely? Or is there any resistance at some point as the wheel turns? I had a car that would build-up a vibration at freeway speeds. Not immediately, but it would stat after a few miles and become worse. Turns out the brake drums were warped. New drums fixed it. Tesla doesn't use drums, but could be a warped or damaged rotor.

One other option: Do you know anybody in your area who has an extra set of Tesla wheels? Maybe they'd let you try them for comparison. In this case, I'd replace them one axle at a time and go for a short test drive. That may help narrow things down to two wheels.

Best of luck!

Take your car to a tire dealer that has the Hunter road force balancer and pay to have it done yourself. Then you will know.

Road Force® Locator | Hunter Engineering Company®
THIS!!!