Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Service Center coming to Carlsbad

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Kind of ironic that the new Carlsbad Service Center will sit smack on top of where the Carlsbad Raceway was. This was a drag strip and dirt track. The photo shows the Google Maps image from when the map had changed to show the new roads but before the satellite image was updated.

View attachment 315316

Don't forget the old Carlsbad skatepark was on that site too!

Further info on the Tesla Service Station (Service Center) at 3248 Lionshead Ave. in Carlsbad: The CUP (Conditional Use Permit) was approved on 6/14/2018. Tesla, or their engineering planner, who I believe is Bill Hofman Planning of Carlsbad, has apparently not yet submitted the necessary tenant improvement plans to proceed toward a building permit. I looked at the property, it is indeed a large empty industrial facility, finished on the outside, just waiting for a detailed inside design. Here's a pic:View attachment 314886
I was in the SD service center today and they confirmed that there will be a north country service center opening in "weeks".

Just visited the 3248 Lionshead Ave location. No changes, no signs, still empty, trash has been picked up, yard crew working on landscaping. Does seem like someone repaired the windows at the right end of the building, cause I don't remember seeing the big piece of plywood this time.

Vistan
Files on record with the city shows estimated date of opening of December 2018. Looks like permitting and associated paperwork has been moving along since early this year.

Found this April '18 article in an online pub "CoStar"...couldn't figure out how to link it, so here it is:

Vistan

APRIL 02, 2018|LOU HIRSH

Tesla Eyes Carlsbad Industrial Building for New Facility
Automaker Looks to Set Up Service, Sales Operations

image.jpg

Fast-growing electric automaker Tesla Inc. has notified the city of its proposal to operate a new automotive repair and sales facility in an existing industrial building at 3248 Lionshead Ave. in Carlsbad, CA, CoStar News has confirmed.

Officials with Palo Alto-based Tesla were not immediately commenting on its plans for the 55,573-square-foot building, located on a 3.74-acre lot.

Chris Garcia, an associate planner with the city of Carlsbad, confirmed to CoStar News that the high-tech automaker submitted a preliminary review notice for a proposed auto repair and sales facility on Feb. 22. The preliminary review process provides an applicant with initial feedback on a potential development proposal, which was sent by the city to Tesla on March 12.

Garcia said Tesla has not yet filed an official application, “and therefore nothing is currently under review at this time.” The preliminary filing by Tesla indicates the building might be used for service, sales and delivery functions.

In its March 12 response, the city of Carlsbad informed Tesla that auto repair is a conditionally permitted use at the proposed location, but that automotive sales, showroom and delivery are not currently permitted land uses.

The city asked Tesla to submit a complete site plan with information, including the exact number of planned repair bays and its proposed uses for the building’s existing mezzanine level.

CoStar data indicates the Carlsbad industrial building was completed in 2017 by La Jolla-based owner and developer Badiee Development Inc. It is located within a development known as Carlsbad Victory Industrial Park.

At a recent real estate conference in San Diego, founder and CEO Ben Badiee said his development firm was in talks with a well-known automaker to occupy the space, but said he could not specify which company due to non-disclosure agreements.

Formerly known as Tesla Motors and headed by Chairman and CEO Elon Musk, Tesla has two current mall sales showrooms in San Diego – at Fashion Valley in Mission Valley and Westfield UTC in University Town Center. It also has two service centers in San Diego’s Miramar submarket.

Carlsbad city filings indicate that Tesla has also filed for a permit to install a vehicle charging station, known as a Supercharger, in the parking lot of The Shoppes retail center in Carlsbad, located at 2525 El Camino Real. Tesla’s website indicates the charging station is targeted to begin operating by the end of 2018.

Since its founding in 2003, Tesla has expanded beyond electric vehicle manufacturing and sales into energy storage and solar power technologies.

Tesla employs more than 37,000 globally. It reported revenue of more than $11.7 billion in 2017, while posting a net loss of $2.2 billion for the year.

As a public service (at least a TMC public service) I contacted the Carlsbad Planning Department lead person on the Tesla Service Center. He confirmed that the Conditional Use Permit was approved in June, but Tesla has not yet submitted any Tenant Improvement Plans necessary to start work. He also said that Tesla has submitted a Specific Plan "area" that would add electric vehicle sales to the service center location. He estimated that the earliest the City Council could hold a hearing on that portion of the project would be January '19.

Sounds like opening the Carlsbad Service Center doors in December is optimistic (3 months maybe, 6 months definitely).

Vistan

In regard to the sign pic I posted above, I talked to Diana Tran, specifically asking about the timeframe for completion of the service center. She said that "they" were preparing improvement plans for the facility and would submit them to the City of Carlsbad for permits to proceed. No timeframe yet.

Vistan

Went by there today. Parking lot is chained off. Doesnt look like any work is being done on the interior. Inside it is a big empty giant room. Ironically, there are two dual working Chargepoint chargers in the parking lot (pic attached).

EDA27114-640A-475B-AD76-F55427484737.jpeg

Back to the Carlsbad Tesla Service Center (3248 Lionshead Ave) today to see what, if anything, was happening. There was a crew from White Construction Co doing dimensional verification and getting set up to start the tenant improvements to the building shell. I talked briefly to the Construction Supervisor who told me they were shooting for an April completion. They have to put in bathrooms and the new car showroom/offices, etc. in addition to the service area facilities. He mentioned that he had visited the Tesla Kearny Mesa Service Center and the Oceanside temporary Service Center to see how things were laid out. I got the impression from him that this new Carlsbad Center would be a huge improvement. Pics Attached...The steps go up to a mezzanine area at the front of the building.

IMG_0017.jpeg
IMG_0018.jpeg