TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla Service Center coming to Carlsbad

Discussion in 'California' started by Captrod, Jun 28, 2018.

1. Captrod

Captrod Member

#1 Captrod, Jun 28, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2018
    (Moderator note: this thread was created on 30 Aug 2018 out of posts made in the Carlsbad Supercharger thread)
    Tesla seems able to keep secrets very well compared to other auto companies. For example, the way Tesla presented the new roadster during the semi-truck reveal...absolutely spectacular! Regarding keeping secrets: I'd like to challenge those of you who have access to Carlsbad building and/or planning documents to monitor something VERY positive that Tesla may be doing in the near future. After all, once a document is in the public realm, it is no longer a secret, right? That is absolutely all I can say about that. Now, I'm waiting for someone to say this comment is posted on the wrong thread...can't win!

• Like x 1
  2. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Well-Known Member

What a tease!

• Funny x 1
  3. Captrod

Captrod Member

Really very sorry, but Tesla can be vindictive as well as secretive. But, if someone can find a C'Bad planning/building public document (I don't know if one exists yet), then all is good.

4. 4SUPER9

4SUPER9 Active Member

Wait a second: if you know something that is already within the public domain, why not share?

• Like x 1
  5. Vistan

Vistan Member

OK, I'll bite! Your comment should be posted in the "Upcoming Service Center/Store" thread (if there is one). Carlsbad is the obvious place in North County for such an operation. The San Diego service Center is vastly overloaded.

Vistan

• Like x 1
  6. EGK1

EGK1 Member

While receiving my new X a couple weeks ago, the delivery guy told me they are going to build a new SC & Delivery facility in Carlsbad; I don't know where in Carlsbad though.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  7. mikebev

mikebev Member

Piggy-backing on what EGK1 says: I had a service advisor tell me three days ago that they're still hassling with the City of Carlsbad to get their new North County service center approved. That's about all the info I could get out of her, but she was very specific about it being Carlsbad...

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 2
  8. Vistan

Vistan Member

With only a cursory search of City of Carlsbad Building & Development records online, I discovered a pending building permit CUP2018-0007 dated 4/11/18 for a Tesla Service Station (Auto Repair Facility) to be located within an existing Industrial Building at 3248 Lionshead Avenue in Carlsbad. This location is on the border between Vista and Carlsbad, just east of Melrose Avenue. There is another pending permit (SP2018-0001) for an "Electric Vehicle Sales Facility" to be located at a different address on Lionshead Avenue.

How's that for sleuthing out a rumor?

Vistan

• Like x 5
    • Informative x 1
  9. Captrod

Captrod Member

Great sleuthing!! You know how to get the job done. I should have known that building and development records would be on line. Bringing this discussion back to 7710 El Camino Real and the new 20 unit supercharger at that location, Carlsbad will be a hot Tesla destination. By definition a Sales Facility and Service Station will have a few superchargers for auto delivery and repair, similar to Buena Park which has 8 stalls. However, that site is frequently full because demo cars and customers charge there, and so will Lionshead. 7710 El Camino Real is roughly about 7-miles from the Lionshead site. The sales and service center at Buena Park sits about 12-miles from chargers at Downey and 12-miles from Santa Ana chargers. 7710 is somewhat further from superchargers in San Diego. More than a rumor has it that we can forget about the other permitted Carlsbad supercharger site at 2525 El Camino real. Not happening in the foreseeable future, but who knows about later?

10. Vistan

Vistan Member

Further info on the Tesla Service Station (Service Center) at 3248 Lionshead Ave. in Carlsbad: The CUP (Conditional Use Permit) was approved on 6/14/2018. Tesla, or their engineering planner, who I believe is Bill Hofman Planning of Carlsbad, has apparently not yet submitted the necessary tenant improvement plans to proceed toward a building permit. I looked at the property, it is indeed a large empty industrial facility, finished on the outside, just waiting for a detailed inside design. Here's a pic: IMG_0397.jpg

Attached Files:

• Like x 4
    • Informative x 1
  11. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Well-Known Member

That’s one heck of a big service center.

12. Chuq

Chuq Active Member

It reminds me of a building Bjorn Nyland visited in Norway which had just been bought/leased by Tesla and was going to become a massive service centre. It was a few months ago so I'm not sure what the current status is.

• Funny x 1
  13. oceansidebob

oceansidebob New Member

Kind of ironic that the new Carlsbad Service Center will sit smack on top of where the Carlsbad Raceway was. This was a drag strip and dirt track. The photo shows the Google Maps image from when the map had changed to show the new roads but before the satellite image was updated.

DragStrip2.png

• Informative x 3
    • Like x 2
  14. bstr

bstr Member

How it used to sound too! Every weekend we would hear it from 4 miles away.

15. tvbobb

tvbobb Member

Am I the only person who noted the irony about the future Carlsbad service center being built on the former raceway site?? I mean that Tesla has some of the fastest cars out there which could have probably 'dusted' anything that ever raced there... Just wondering....

16. bkp_duke

bkp_duke Active Member

Tesla's don't race well, except for quick short runs. On the track, the batteries usually get too hot to do more than 1-2 laps.

• Disagree x 1
    • Funny x 1
  17. bmah

bmah Moderator, Model S/X, California Forums

There’s a fairly well documented case of someone doing 9-10 laps in a Model 3 with no battery issues, but that was at Laguna Seca, which is nowhere near Service Center, Supercharger, etc. :)

Bruce.

18. bkp_duke

bkp_duke Active Member

Actually, the Model S/X packs get too warm as well (hence the improved cooling design of the pack in the 3), but you are correct that the rotor in the motor is the first to get too warm.

19. Vistan

Vistan Member

Teslas would have been perfect for racing at the old Carlsbad Raceway; after all, it was a DRAG STRIP.

• Like x 2
  20. bkp_duke

bkp_duke Active Member

And if you see the exact verbage of WHAT YOU QUOTED, you would note that I said that: "Tesla's don't race well, except for quick short runs."