Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla service center will not NOT install aftermarket wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just confirmed on the phone with TSportline customer service that the Model X will automatically just recognize the new tpms when you are driving (if they are the correct tpms) and there is no option on the service menu to even choose to reset tpms on the X (unlike the Model S which has the reset menu option).

Hope this helps clarify the X tpms and know that you don't need to bring in your X to Tesla to program anything for new sensors.

Just ordered a set of TSW Interlagos and some Nokian WRG3's for my winter set up. Planning to get sensors from Tesla since the price quoted by my local SvC wasn't too out of line. Will probably pick up a set of tire totes too.

Anyway, I'll chime in when I get them sometime next week with some pictures and initial impressions.

Cheers!

Just confirmed on the phone with TSportline customer service that the Model X will automatically just recognize the new tpms when you are driving (if they are the correct tpms) and there is no option on the service menu to even choose to reset tpms on the X (unlike the Model S which has the reset menu option).

Hope this helps clarify the X tpms and know that you don't need to bring in your X to Tesla to program anything for new sensors.

Thanks @dmd2005 -- always appreciate when Tesla owners help each other out!

I recommend keeping both sets of wheels. My initial plan was the same as your current plan -- keep one set of wheels and do seasonal tire swaps, and sell the OEMs for $1200. But after adding up the costs of mounting and balancing twice per year, over 7 years I determined it was cheaper to keep both sets of wheels and simply switch them during the winter/summer. Some folks also think there is greater risk of rim/tire damage by mounting/balancing twice each year.

Just a quick update, I'm having my new 20" TST Gloss Black wheels mounted on my X tomorrow at Executive Tire in Rockville. I will let you know how it goes and may even post some pictures, if interested. I will hang onto the OEM Tesla Wheels, but my tires are the Continental All Season, so I don't forsee switching tires anytime soon. Assuming I like the new wheels, then may sell my OEMs...we'll see.

Installed pictures? =)
20161117_094413.jpg

@Allante Thank you for the recommendation to use Executive Tire in Rockville. They did a great job in installing my new wheels and were really reasonable in terms of price.

@Rich Meister enjoy the pics!

View attachment 205692

View attachment 205693
@XHokie -- your wheels look stunning. Glad Exec Tire worked out for you. I had my winter tires swapped recently as well, and Exec Tire did a super job. The techs knew how to put the suspension in Jack Mode, spoke English (sadly, a rarity these days), got the inflation pressures correct, and put the correct tires on the correct set of rims. May not sound like much, but I have struggled getting such trivial tasks done correctly in recent years!

Reactions: XHokie