Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Service Centres? Are they all this bad?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So after 8 months and 14k miles of trouble free driving, my model Y yesterday made a weird judder as I was about to set off home from work, told me it was shutting down, before then saying the rear motor was disabled and power was limited to 69mph. And to book a service to get it fixed.
So I went on the App at 3pm yesterday and booked it in with the Sheffield Service centre (which is over an hour's drive away). I also messaged them to say it was urgent, as we are driving to Italy on Saturday in it for a fortnights holiday!!!
By 10am this morning i'd heard nothing so called the Tesla customer service line, who said i'd be contacted by Sheffield this morning, but they also said they'd message them to stress the situation and urgency.
So far... nothing. No contact whatsoever from Sheffield, and all the customer service line say is that I have to wait for them to contact me.
I can't find out much about what might be the cause, other than a few posts mentioning the inverter can be damaged by coolant leaks, so maybe this is the cause?

Anyone any idea what the likelihood is that they'll get it fixed by the weekend? If if they can't, will they give me a loaner for two weeks (i'm hoping for some 5* service given the cost of the bloody thing)? :mad:

So after 8 months and 14k miles of trouble free driving, my model Y yesterday made a weird judder as I was about to set off home from work, told me it was shutting down, before then saying the rear motor was disabled and power was limited to 69mph. And to book a service to get it fixed.
So I went on the App at 3pm yesterday and booked it in with the Sheffield Service centre (which is over an hour's drive away). I also messaged them to say it was urgent, as we are driving to Italy on Saturday in it for a fortnights holiday!!!
By 10am this morning i'd heard nothing so called the Tesla customer service line, who said i'd be contacted by Sheffield this morning, but they also said they'd message them to stress the situation and urgency.
So far... nothing. No contact whatsoever from Sheffield, and all the customer service line say is that I have to wait for them to contact me.
I can't find out much about what might be the cause, other than a few posts mentioning the inverter can be damaged by coolant leaks, so maybe this is the cause?

Anyone any idea what the likelihood is that they'll get it fixed by the weekend? If if they can't, will they give me a loaner for two weeks (i'm hoping for some 5* service given the cost of the bloody thing)? :mad:
This sounds like a bit of a nightmare scenario if I am honest.
No they are unlikely to give you a loaner or hire car and say take it abroad for two weeks. Unless they say the car will take longer than that to fix.
they generally want it back the second the car is mended
Tesla aren't really known for their 5*service
is it actually drivable over the distance to the service centre.? if not ( or if you can claim not) then call roadside and get it towed to the service centre. having it clogging up their yard tends to focus their mind but I still would not hold your breath on getting it fixed for Saturday but this is your best hope probably. Worked for me when mine broke down.

Edit
Oh and when they tow it insist on a loaner or a hire car while they have it that also tends to focus them on getting it fixed.

Reactions: M3noob
I’m sorry to say that in your shoes I’d be renting or borrowing another car.
I believe there are specific stipulations on loaners (even if one was available to you) that prevent you from driving abroad.
I would be very surprised if they managed to have the parts to fix whatever is wrong with your car before Saturday (parts stock and logistics is currently a big issue for Tesla, my sister has been quoted a lead time of 20 days for a simple LV battery by Tesla Portugal).

I hope you manage to find an alternative solution that won’t be too expensive but it seems almost certain you’ll be out of pocket :(

• Informative
Reactions: M3noob
I believe there are specific stipulations on loaners (even if one was available to you) that prevent you from driving abroad.

Worse than that - the terms are no more than 125 miles from where you collected the loaner from!

It's ironic, a few years ago my father-in-law had a similar issue with his Skoda Octavia which had an injector problem a few days before they were going to France for a few weeks. Skoda dealer said it'd be a week before they could fix it, but was happy to give them a loaner (a Skoda Superb) and said keep it until you get back from France.

And that on a car that cost less than 40% of my Tesla :-(

Reactions: Rooster6655
Long term owner of a Model S with 140k on the clock (2015) so I've had many an experience with the Tesla Service Centres; service stations were pretty good initially when they had local phone numbers to the actual garage, then everything had to be done via App and the service response time was very very bad. It's now improved quite a bit, but yeah, depending on who is monitoring the messages at the service centre, and which one it is, the quality and speed of response can vary significantly. If you can afford the time, and haven't heard soon, I'd drive up to the nearest SC and talk to someone in person - when you get to talking face to face they know their stuff normally and actually try to be helpful. Realistically though you're almost definitely not going to get a loaner (if one's even available at short notice) to take abroad.

Maybe check with your roadside assistance (if you have one that isn't Tesla) - you might be surprised what they cover. When I had an accident in the Alps and belatedly realised that Direct Line DO NOT provide comprehensive insurance automatically for Europe (Admiral did/do) the roadside insurance I got with my bank account paid for us all to be flown home and the car brought back to the UK on a flat-bed.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
I took my loaner(s) over 200 miles from the dealer I got it from twice a week for the duration I had them. Not had any issues.

Also odd they are slow at getting back to you, normally my app requests are answered within hours……apart from the latest one - but was demanding a NEW battery or my money back so I can buy a new car.

Well, I have an update for anyone interested, and I wish I knew how to edit the title of this post to "are they all this good" !!!

Got a call from the Tesla call centre later on yesterday to say my model Y would be recovered from my home at 8am this morning and taken to Sheffield service centre. Sure enough a truck arrived at 8 on the dot. As I had no idea what was happening regarding timescales for repair or a loan car I thought i'd take a ride with him there to speak with them in person.

When I got there they couldn't have been more helpful. Immediately told me I could have a loan vehicle (apologising that it was a model 3 as they didn't have a Y), and when I explained our impending trip to Italy they said it was fine to take the loaner with me, and that all supercharging would be free while I had it (I told them i'd be doing around 2.5k miles but they said 'no problem')! They handed me a letter giving me authority to take it overseas until we return home on 4th September and they will email me the DVLA green form that's needed. How good is that?!

They've said the remote diagnostics they've done suggests it's an inverter issue so they're ordering the parts but it could be a week until they get them in, but if they do happen to get them sooner they'll prioritise my repair to get the car back to me before my trip. Can't ask for more than that eh?

So the lesson i've learned from this experience is that the App and messaging service isn't very quick or informative, but in person they are awesome :D.

Well, I have an update for anyone interested, and I wish I knew how to edit the title of this post to "are they all this good" !!!

Got a call from the Tesla call centre later on yesterday to say my model Y would be recovered from my home at 8am this morning and taken to Sheffield service centre. Sure enough a truck arrived at 8 on the dot. As I had no idea what was happening regarding timescales for repair or a loan car I thought i'd take a ride with him there to speak with them in person.

When I got there they couldn't have been more helpful. Immediately told me I could have a loan vehicle (apologising that it was a model 3 as they didn't have a Y), and when I explained our impending trip to Italy they said it was fine to take the loaner with me, and that all supercharging would be free while I had it (I told them i'd be doing around 2.5k miles but they said 'no problem')! They handed me a letter giving me authority to take it overseas until we return home on 4th September and they will email me the DVLA green form that's needed. How good is that?!

They've said the remote diagnostics they've done suggests it's an inverter issue so they're ordering the parts but it could be a week until they get them in, but if they do happen to get them sooner they'll prioritise my repair to get the car back to me before my trip. Can't ask for more than that eh?

So the lesson i've learned from this experience is that the App and messaging service isn't very quick or informative, but in person they are awesome :D.
That's amazing news and great hear! I am glad I was DEAD wrong! :D

Enjoy your cheaper trip to Italy! :D

I'm in the same boat as you, but MK service centre says no to taking it abroad, with me it's France and Spain. Wonder if you would post/ email the letter of authority so I can use it to make the argument to them? Thanks