Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Service Experience Takes a Strange Turn

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How is the Paramus SC? Since I'm in NY we took delivery at Mt Kisco. Anyway, The X has developed a need to see a tech and Paramus is much closer.
They are pretty good and the service reps are professional and will text you with updates. But since they are much bigger then the one in Springfield they get pretty busy and might not have any Tesla loaners and also take a bit more time to repair your X. I would say their service has gotten better and better since my first appointment but maybe it's because I've been there so many times they all know me. lol

• Informative
Reactions: ahtlys
Unfortunately, since the standard procedure at Service Centers is to immediately disable remote access, it doesn't help at all in tracking your vehicle while in service. In this particular situation, the rogue employee wasn't familiar enough to disable Mobile Access, and hence was caught red handed.
You can still install a hidden GPS tracking device.

Occasionally if a car needs an extended test drive (e.g. a hard-to-diagnose intermittent issue - my old car had such a problem), a tech may take a car home for the night. So you shouldn't necessarily call the police if the car isn't where you expect. On the other hand, lately Tesla has always informed me ahead of time when doing that.

It is normal for the dashcam to be unplugged by service. For me it has only not happened once.

Occasionally if a car needs an extended test drive (e.g. a hard-to-diagnose intermittent issue - my old car had such a problem), a tech may take a car home for the night. So you shouldn't necessarily call the police if the car isn't where you expect. On the other hand, lately Tesla has always informed me ahead of time when doing that.

It is normal for the dashcam to be unplugged by service. For me it has only not happened once.

Without my explicit permission I don't expect any Service Tech to be taking my car home, period. You may find that acceptable, that's up to you, but it is not OK with me and I never gave any such permission and multiple levels of Tesla management have contacted me to let me know they agree.

"Let the buyer beware" (from Latin: Caveat Emptor)

Wow! this whole story of non respect of customer property is unacceptable
from any business what so ever, and in particular from a luxury car company.

In this particular case, if I had noticed anything fishy regarding my $100k+,
I would have immediately made a report to the police and to my insurance,
considering as stolen or hijacked, letting then Tesla dealing with the authorities
and my insurance otherwise.

Doing so, I would have a way to protect myself if any problem would have occurred
during this possible joy ride.

Looking at various threads comments, it seems to me that Tesla has a monopolistic
advantage leaving the customers without any real protection or resources other than
accepting whatever Tesla support will decide.

I hope that with future competition from other car makers, this situation will improve.

When we went to the X to go, I tried to put it in gear and an alert came up for
Parking Brake Needs Service and IU could not get it out of Park.
They are now sending a technician to my house to disconnect and reconnect the 12V battery
on my Model X to see if they then can drive it back to the service center,
but they have no idea what is causing the issue and no remedy really in mind at this point.

- How easy is it to disconnect and reconnect the 12V battery? Does any tool is needed?
- Is it the ONLY way to get the car out of park?
- Would the break pedal still working in case the car was parked in a inclined road?
In this case, it seems that two people would be needed to be safe.

This remind me about the following incident: My S75 damaged by Tesla just days after delivery

The Technician arrived at my house at about 6 PM and he brought me a loaner Model S.
He disconnected the 12V battery on my Model X, I filled out some paperwork for the loaner
and he left with my Model X.

- Is it safe to drive a car in this situation? So what could happen if the driver need to go to Park again?
Would then the driver have to pull over to disconnect and reconnect the battery?

I don't know, but I think that I would have requested to have to carry carried on a tow truck
back to the service center, considering this situation unsafe.

Last edited:
Some good points.

Disconnecting and reconnecting 12V system only requires a single wrench and is quite simple. It seems once this is done the problem did not recur so car drives as normal, but with alert until firmware updated.

Wow, long before I did that I would Lemon the X and get something else, although I am guessing you are kidding ;)
I was actually serious. :oops: For someone electrically inclined, this could be a cool "hard reset" solution that can come in handy once in a while. Definitely not meant for the general populous.

I once soldered two wires to the RS232c port of my Commodore-64 to a momentary-on switch fitted in a hole drilled into the case. Whenever I pushed that switch, it reset the computer. It was a super convenient and fast. I probably used it once a month, sometimes more often when I was "hacking" that machine. :rolleyes:

In all seriousness, I think there would be some benefit for Tesla to design a remote switch in the frunk for this purpose.

Can you explain to a newbie what Teslafli is and how that info can be brought up.
Thanks
Gary

"When I got home I checked Teslafli to see what actually happened with my car."

In the first leg of the journey, for some reason the car was driven about 4 miles from my house and parked for about 3 minutes along the road (probably to remove my dashcam – see below comment about vehicle inspection):

kcm3w8.jpg

Can you explain to a newbie what Teslafli is and how that info can be brought up.
TeslaFi is a 3rd party logging service that uses the Tesla API interface to log into your car and download information every minute. The information it gathers allows it to know about your trips, when you park, when you charge, your charging statistics and other stuff. It stores all this for posterity and you can go back and look at your trips, charging sessions, etc. It also calculates things like charging efficiency, trip efficiency and so on.

Once you subscribe (there is 2 week free trial), you can pull all this information from their website.

If you do subscribe, pay attention to the sleep mode, as if it is not set up correctly, your car will not sleep, resulting in larger vampire drain. If configured properly, it is very minimal.

This is a can't happen scenario. (I know it won't be popular to say so, but) These kinds of shenanigans are the reason why car companies used to be required to have locally owned dealerships: Customers can hold the local dealer responsible for employee misconduct in a way that is much harder with a faraway gigantacorp.

Hold them accountable. Escalate this issue to the executive in charge of North American service for Tesla Motors, by registered letter, with a copy to the general counsel. Tell him you want written assurance that this won't happen again, and compensation for the miles driven in the joyride. $2 per mile is the minimum I'd settle for. Ask for $10 per mile. (The point isn't the money. The point is accountability at the front office.)

If you don't get a response in ten days, send the letter again with a copy to your state attorney general, your state legislator, and the president of the automobile dealers' association in your area.

Tesla wants to change the rules of the auto business. I for one totally support them in that effort. But the new rules have to be free from corruption or they won't work.

This is a can't happen scenario. (I know it won't be popular to say so, but) These kinds of shenanigans are the reason why car companies used to be required to have locally owned dealerships: Customers can hold the local dealer responsible for employee misconduct in a way that is much harder with a faraway gigantacorp.

Hold them accountable. Escalate this issue to the executive in charge of North American service for Tesla Motors, by registered letter, with a copy to the general counsel. Tell him you want written assurance that this won't happen again, and compensation for the miles driven in the joyride. $2 per mile is the minimum I'd settle for. Ask for $10 per mile. (The point isn't the money. The point is accountability at the front office.)

If you don't get a response in ten days, send the letter again with a copy to your state attorney general, your state legislator, and the president of the automobile dealers' association in your area.

Tesla wants to change the rules of the auto business. I for one totally support them in that effort. But the new rules have to be free from corruption or they won't work.

As I mentioned I did escalate to North East Service and Sales Management.

I ended up agreeing to quite a bit more for compensation for the situation than $2/mile, ended up closer to the $10/mile area in terms of value for me. Don't want to go in to details, but Tesla was very accommodating and once this happened really did everything they could to make the situation better.

Um... Hate to break it to you but no, adding a stealership in the mix isn't going to help or fix anything like this... Do you really want us to start quoting horror stories from stealership service departments?

Jeff

I've found based on TeslaFi logs that the Tesla employees driving my car do not respect speed limits at all. I'd see speeds 15-20 MPH in excess of the speed limit on a regular basis when they're driving my car. For that reason I almost never allowed them to pick up my car from me, preferring instead to spend my time taking it safely to the Service Center.