Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla "Service Hell"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My brand new Model 3 has been in service center for a total of 4 weeks out of the 6 weeks of ownership.

I even dislike these forums and feel pre-planted Tesla proponents sideline and muddy genuine issues of customers who actually paid for the vehicles.

I went for a checkup of few minor but definitive issues with the build quality of Model 3. The glass roof comes misaligned, the doors come misaligned measurably. I don't know by how much because Tesla service won't share that information no matter how I asked (WTF is that.. I paid for this?).

These are small things. So small, I guess Kia came with such issues in 1999..Then, wonder what the heck Tesla found wrong to keep the car?!

There is no reply to emails, nobody picks up the phone, they put me on hold when they do pickup and so on. I know Tesla was sued by an existing customer for just this in 2016 - I think Alein Twain or someone; not sure.

I even drove to service center. I was not given any info neither my car back. Staff just said we are waiting for engineering to respond on some issues and open question. No clarity, no alternatives. The loaner I have is a 78,000 miles driven Model S with scratches allover, and it SMELLS when I turn fan on.

Now I know what F grade service feels like. The alphabet gives out just enough about Tesla. :cool:

The technicians themselves advised fixing, which is why I kept the car there.
If I got this kind of attitude from a customer, I'd put his problems on the back burner. Just saying.

You've got a free car while they're messing around with yours. It's a freakin' Model S, apparently way above your pay grade. Enjoy it. You might want to start complaining when you actually have a problem, like a problem that they claim is fixed that really isn't.

You haven't even approached the gates of "service hell" from your description.

I'm nearing 3 weeks of no access to my Model 3 for fit and finish issues (didn't even take delivery, still waiting to actually be able to drive my first Tesla), so I can empathize with some of what the OP is saying. Worse yet, all that was available to rent was the Mercedes C300. Two weeks ago, I asked to be updated if an S becomes available. I'm also in the dark about the timeline (Service King completed the repairs last week, but the delivery center wasn't happy, so back it went for a redo). I called last Friday to get the aforementioned information and was told I'd be recontacted once more was available. Trying to be patient, but it's wearing thin...

If I got this kind of attitude from a customer, I'd put his problems on the back burner. Just saying.

You've got a free car while they're messing around with yours. It's a freakin' Model S, apparently way above your pay grade. Enjoy it. You might want to start complaining when you actually have a problem, like a problem that they claim is fixed that really isn't.

You haven't even approached the gates of "service hell" from your description.

4 weeks for repairs out of the 6 weeks he has owned the car and you don't think he should be upset? Sh!t, I would love to have you as a customer.

4 weeks for repairs out of the 6 weeks he has owned the car and you don't think he should be upset? Sh!t, I would love to have you as a customer.
Yeah, free driving is a pretty cool benefit. If I were in that position, I'd bring in the Model S I was driving and say that since it has been a while I'd like a Model X to try. I mean, it beats being miserable and whining about it. I'm not seeing the misery of the situation, the "service hell". It seems pretty benign to me.

And yes, I've had multiple situations where I've had a loaner for a while. It just isn't a big deal. In fact, it's kind of nice, getting to try other models and configurations.

If you look at some of his original posts, you'll have better context for replies like the one from @Bet TSLA. No excuse for not getting better communication from Tesla, but I think most of us have learned that treating others with respect usually works best at getting resolution. I can see a service tech avoiding what seems to be confrontational conversations. Again, not right ... but understandable.

As far as people talking about lemon law - Doesn't it have to be because of mechanical problems? I've never had to lemon law something, so have nothing more than passing knowledge about that.

Signed,
A happy not-a-plant Tesla owner since 2011

If you look at some of his original posts, you'll have better context for replies like the one from @Bet TSLA. No excuse for not getting better communication from Tesla, but I think most of us have learned that treating others with respect usually works best at getting resolution. I can see a service tech avoiding what seems to be confrontational conversations. Again, not right ... but understandable.

As far as people talking about lemon law - Doesn't it have to be because of mechanical problems? I've never had to lemon law something, so have nothing more than passing knowledge about that.

@bonnie I agree with you that you get better results/service with sugar than you do with vinegar so how you communicate with the techs goes a long way. I have no idea about lemon laws, but I would think if the car has been in the shop it may be worth looking into.

Reactions: bonnie
My brand new Model 3 has been in service center for a total of 4 weeks out of the 6 weeks of ownership.

I even dislike these forums and feel pre-planted Tesla proponents sideline and muddy genuine issues of customers who actually paid for the vehicles.

I went for a checkup of few minor but definitive issues with the build quality of Model 3. The glass roof comes misaligned, the doors come misaligned measurably. I don't know by how much because Tesla service won't share that information no matter how I asked (WTF is that.. I paid for this?).

These are small things. So small, I guess Kia came with such issues in 1999..Then, wonder what the heck Tesla found wrong to keep the car?!

There is no reply to emails, nobody picks up the phone, they put me on hold when they do pickup and so on. I know Tesla was sued by an existing customer for just this in 2016 - I think Alein Twain or someone; not sure.

I even drove to service center. I was not given any info neither my car back. Staff just said we are waiting for engineering to respond on some issues and open question. No clarity, no alternatives. The loaner I have is a 78,000 miles driven Model S with scratches allover, and it SMELLS when I turn fan on.

Now I know what F grade service feels like. The alphabet gives out just enough about Tesla. :cool:

For context/reference what VIN number is this?
Hope you'll find resolution.

P.S. not to undermine your problem. but everything is relative, i'm still a happy model 3 owner with VIN5XXX despite also having encountered a lot of early build/quality issues and car in SC for maybe 2 weeks total since January. I started from Santa Clara, then went to Palo Alto and will be going to Fremont next :)

Last edited:
I too have some doors that are slightly misaligned. I don’t care that much honestly.. I did not take it in mainly because I know it’s going to take forever to address.

What I would recommend OP is to ask for a better loaner. I don’t see why they would not accommodate that request. Just explain them that you have been waiting for your car for a long time and you d like to get a better loaner. I think it’s totally fair to ask.

Then I would try to enjoy the loaner... put as many miles as you can.. do a road trip or something.

If you look at some of his original posts, you'll have better context for replies like the one from @Bet TSLAAs far as people talking about lemon law - Doesn't it have to be because of mechanical problems? I've never had to lemon law something, so have nothing more than passing knowledge about that.
In CA, the time/repair attempts required to meet the presumption of the car being a "lemon" depend on the specific problem/s. Any combination of problems that result in the car being out of service for 30 or more days is sufficient for the presumption, but more serious problems like failing brakes only require 2 unsuccessful repair attempts.

The manufacturer can try to show the car isn't a "lemon", but they have the burden of proof if there are enough repair attempts for the presumption to apply.

http://www.dca.ca.gov/acp/pdf_files/englemn.pdf

What I would recommend OP is to ask for a better loaner. I don’t see why they would not accommodate that request. Just explain them that you have been waiting for your car for a long time and you d like to get a better loaner. I think it’s totally fair to ask..
My guess? Availability. While he is on the west coast where there are more to go around, I suspect the influx of 3s and these extended repairs for new deliveries is causing an S rental shortage. It certainly is in the Vegas area where all they could offer was an ICE.

I actually wouldn't mind having my new 3 in for a minor service issue for 2 or 3 weeks. I'm working on a data center project for a few weeks, and it's 53 miles one way to drive there, so I'd much rather pile up the miles on a Model S loaner than my brand new car!

Reactions: xav-

Well folks... you know what time it is?

That's right! C-M-O TIME!!!!!!

Thanks to this thread, it's time to....

CANCEL....

MY....

ORDER!!!!!!

I actually wouldn't mind having my new 3 in for a minor service issue for 2 or 3 weeks. I'm working on a data center project for a few weeks, and it's 53 miles one way to drive there, so I'd much rather pile up the miles on a Model S loaner than my brand new car!
And would you accept an ICE? I'd be surprised if S are widely available in Pittsburgh since they are of limited availablity in Vegas. Mine is in for a paint chip and some panel misalignment (along with scratches and detaching weather stripping) as well. Maybe the paint chip was a blessing so that they can get that panel misalignment complaint out of the way pronto. If my 82-year-old father caught it and brought it to my attention before I even had the chance to look (with myasthenia gravis, cataracts, etc.), I would qualify that as real enough. For a $60k vehicle, I'm gonna' say hell yes.

Reactions: pkalhan