Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Service Remote vehicle access

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got the car back from my SC. Was surprised to find out the SC doesn't need the key cards anymore to lock/unlock and drive the car. They can remotely access and drive the car. Cool and somewhat concerning at the same time.

Havent they always been able to put the car in service mode and do this?
Maybe.. or maybe just new to me/this service center. The few times i went, i always had to leave my key card in a drop box. ... last was Nov 2020.

But yesterday, CS rep said NO card key was needed and a tech said they can just remote access the car to unlock and drive around.

Maybe.. or maybe just new to me/this service center. The few times i went, i always had to leave my key card in a drop box. ... last was Nov 2020.

But yesterday, CS rep said NO card key was needed and a tech said they can just remote access the car to unlock and drive around.

Maybe there is a change to service mode, letting them actually drive the vehicle (I dont know, just speculating). I do know that they always could unlock the car with service mode, thats what mobile techs do when they get to your vehicle.

I have left a key the few times i took my car in for service. FWIW, every time my car has been to tesla for service, it was for replacing rim(s) (and tires) due to pothole damage, or the 5 times it took for them to install a rear spoiler that actually fit "somewhat decently" for my model 3 performance.