Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Service says my Tesla Model S 2013 60 kw Main battery needs to be replaced

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How much longer do you think I have to wait for a battery replacement? I towed the car into Tesla Service on July 20. Tesla said I'm third in the que for battery replacement. There must 5-10 cars that need battery replacement in this Tesla Service Center. I spoke to Service , they said no way of knowing because it is shipped by ground. They said next week maybe. But they have been saying that for 5 weeks!
The technology to track anything shipping from anywhere to anywhere exists. But .... just be patient. Like a battery, if you stress too much, useful life is decreased. I should take my own advice for sure.

Maybe my fuse box got corroded because of living in the Northeast , all the snow, sleet, ice got into the steel pack and the moisture built up after 9.5 years (Tesla 2013 Model S is old model).
1661178848150.png
What do you think?As opposed to Tesla's in California , Arizona, Texas wouldn't have the problem as often as in Northern states .

Maybe my fuse box got corroded because of living in the Northeast , all the snow, sleet, ice got into the steel pack and the moisture built up after 9.5 years (Tesla 2013 Model S is old model). View attachment 843734 What do you think?As opposed to Tesla's in California , Arizona, Texas wouldn't have the problem as often as in Northern states .

while there’s the occasional exception, almost all of these problems occur with older models from the Northeast or the Mid Atlantic.

even blindfolded you can tell a car from the Northeast the moment you set into one of the pack bolts.

while there’s the occasional exception, almost all of these problems occur with older models from the Northeast or the Mid Atlantic.

even blindfolded you can tell a car from the Northeast the moment you set into one of the pack bolts.
Tesla quoted me 35k plus taxes for a 90kw battery because other items need replacements. So 75kw battery is good buy for $13k with taxes and labor cause 90kw is almost like triple the price at 35k plus taxes!

Tesla quoted me 35k plus taxes for a 90kw battery because other items need replacements. So 75kw battery is good buy for $13k with taxes and labor cause 90kw is almost like triple the price at 35k plus taxes!
That seems like a suspiciously high delta; makes me wonder if they are artificially trying to coerce you into getting the 75kWh pack. I totally would go with the 75kWh at that price and I would expect some warranty coverage with that as well...something like 2yr/50K miles. I'm just pulling those numbers out of nowhere but I'd be pretty disappointed with Tesla if you had to shell out $13K every 2 years for a battery pack therefore I would think 2 years would be fair duration to start.

That seems like a suspiciously high delta; makes me wonder if they are artificially trying to coerce you into getting the 75kWh pack. I totally would go with the 75kWh at that price and I would expect some warranty coverage with that as well...something like 2yr/50K miles. I'm just pulling those numbers out of nowhere but I'd be pretty disappointed with Tesla if you had to shell out $13K every 2 years for a battery pack therefore I would think 2 years would be fair duration to start.
Tesla said 4yr/50k warranty for 75kw. Tesla said 4yr/50k warranty for 75kw. The 90kw requires lots of parts to retrofit the Model S 60kw.

Tesla said 4yr/50k warranty for 75kw. Tesla said 4yr/50k warranty for 75kw. The 90kw requires lots of parts to retrofit the Model S 60kw.
Awesome. Seems like a no brainer to paying about half the price as other new batteries to get your car running better than ever with more range, more power, faster Supercharging sessions, and a warranty to boot.

Reactions: AprilDelivery??
I have a 2013 model S 85. Tesla told me at 89,000 miles that I needed a new drive unit and battery pack. “The estimate: $28,530.13. After reading various responses and blogs in the Tesla community, I reached out to several places around the United States at the repairs. I reached out to recell-EV in Texas. I talked to Chad and he thought that he could repair the batteries and just replace the drive unit for a lot less. After many discussions I just I do trust Chad and send my car to Texas. After only about two weeks they repaired my battery pack and installed and upgraded drive unit. The cost was less than half which included shipping and my car is never been quieter and a joy to drive since I’ve owned it.
The best thing about recelll- EV is that they communicate regularly and work to give you the best deal possible to get your car back on the road. With Tesla my car would’ve been an unaffordable lawn ornament art. Now I have a running car again.

I have a 2013 model S 85. Tesla told me at 89,000 miles that I needed a new drive unit and battery pack. “The estimate: $28,530.13. After reading various responses and blogs in the Tesla community, I reached out to several places around the United States at the repairs. I reached out to recell-EV in Texas. I talked to Chad and he thought that he could repair the batteries and just replace the drive unit for a lot less. After many discussions I just I do trust Chad and send my car to Texas. After only about two weeks they repaired my battery pack and installed and upgraded drive unit. The cost was less than half which included shipping and my car is never been quieter and a joy to drive since I’ve owned it.
The best thing about recelll- EV is that they communicate regularly and work to give you the best deal possible to get your car back on the road. With Tesla my car would’ve been an unaffordable lawn ornament art. Now I have a running car again.

Vince, it was great working with you and we’re delighted to help get your Model S back on the road. Rides like a dream!

What did they give you for a warranty on their repairs? Tesla would have given you a 4 year/50k mile warranty. (So yeah, that is likely an expensive warranty.)
1 year but I could not afford Tesla. I would’ve liked a better warranty. Especially for the expense. However, it was the only option I could afford to ever be able to drive my car again. Plus, the only option at Tesla was to replace everything. My battery pack was fine, it was just between my driving and battery pack/communication/electronics. If Tesla would repair versus replace, it would make a lot more sense and be a lot less expensive. I will probably sell my Tesla at some point I may not ever buy another one after this experience. And everybody I see with a Tesla I tell them to sell it before it gets out of warranty. Car had 89,000 miles In only nine months out of warranty and yet Tesla will not help at all! For a car that’s supposed to be solid and maintenance free, being in the situation just about broke me.

I would love Elon Musk to see my post. As is, his car is only for the rich because the average person like me could never afford these expenses for repairs. I hope someday, he has a new battery replacement at a fraction of the cost. I could’ve bought a brand new hybrid for the price to repair, to me that’s crazy!

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: cbdream99
Vince, it was great working with you and we’re delighted to help get your Model S back on the road. Rides like a dream!
I would just like to add that the team at Recell-EV Was a team effort by a great group they work diligently to do a good job at the best possible price. Additionally, they emphasize that they want to stand behind their product because there have a reputation they want to uphold in the EV community

only nine months out of warranty and yet Tesla will not help at all!

I never understand this. Why do you think Tesla should help you financially just because you are only a little out of warranty? Would you offer to help Tesla if you only had a couple months of warranty left?

For a car that’s supposed to be solid and maintenance free, being in the situation just about broke me.

Yes, Teslas have very little, to no, required maintenance. But that doesn't mean they are repair free. Things break, things wear out. (And on an early production vehicle it is more likely to need repairs late in life, as they didn't have as much stuff figured out/refined back then.)

Reactions: Olle
I am curious about this seemingly short battery life in Tesla, is this mainly on the older models like 2013-15?, has anyone come across it in later models other than the oddball m3y manufacturing problem, or is it too early to tell? @wk057 @Recell ? In my dream, my 2017 MS will last 20 years/200k without replacing the pack ...

I never understand this. Why do you think Tesla should help you financially just because you are only a little out of warranty? Would you offer to help Tesla if you only had a couple months of warranty left?
That was an 8 year warranty wasn't it? The only way I've ever gotten a warranty that long was to pay extra for it...which is an option, even now. Tesla isn't selling one, but extended warranties are available for folks who feel they need them. Besides the usual car warranty companies, I think at least one of the other third-party battery installers offers extended service plans for the batteries they sell.

I am curious about this seemingly short battery life in Tesla, is this mainly on the older models like 2013-15?, has anyone come across it in later models other than the oddball m3y manufacturing problem, or is it too early to tell? @wk057 @Recell ? In my dream, my 2017 MS will last 20 years/200k without replacing the pack ...
I'd say too early to tell, but I also question whether the reports we see here really constitute a "seemingly short battery life". There are a lot of cars out there presumably rolling along without problems.

Reactions: Rocky_H
I'd say too early to tell, but I also question whether the reports we see here really constitute a "seemingly short battery life". There are a lot of cars out there presumably rolling along without problems.
From what I have seen, and I think @wk057 has said, 2012/2013 packs are pretty much guaranteed to fail especially in states that salt the roads. 2014-2015, and maybe 2016?, packs are a little better but not much. And 2017+ packs appear to have the most common issues resolved. (Hopefully he will come correct what I got wrong. ;) )

Reactions: Rocky_H