Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Outside Temp Reading Not Changing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My outside temperature reading is stuck on 87 (when the weather has been between 49 and 68 today). I rebooted, and nothing. Any guidance is much appreciated. The nearest Tesla Center is over an hour away and a solid few weeks out. Im worried that if I drive it while the outside temp is wrong, it may damage something. Anyone experience this?

It never changes? Or is just very slow to change?
Mine takes forever to get to the right reading after leaving my heated garage in the morning...often turning on the AC when it's 30 degrees outside. It often takes 20 minutes for the reading to adjust.
If yours NEVER changes from 87, you obviously have a damaged or defective sensor, and unfortunately, will need to hit a service center in all likelihood

Reactions: MikeChicago
Upvote 0
Mine takes forever to get to the right reading after leaving my heated garage in the morning...often turning on the AC when it's 30 degrees outside. It often trashes 20 minutes for the reading to adjust.
If yours NEVER changes from 87, you obviously have a damaged or defective sensor, and unfortunately, will need to hit a service center in all likelihood
Thank you. No, it has not changed all day. This is the first time it has happened. I've been researching all day and the only thing popping up is a that there is probably a chewed wire. The soonest appt I can get for a mobile call is next Friday. I will post what they find.

Upvote 0
Mine takes forever to get to the right reading after leaving my heated garage in the morning...often turning on the AC when it's 30 degrees outside. It often takes 20 minutes for the reading to adjust.

I'm glad you posted this. Driving today, it was probably about 30 Degrees in Massachusetts, yet after 10 minutes of driving my car still showed a nice an balmy 55 degrees outside temp.
Until I got to work - about 25 mins in total, it was finally showing around 35 degrees.
I find that incredibly broken, but is that just now "in spec"? Even my 1998 BMW when I had it, would register the accurate temperature instantly, and chime at 37-ish degrees to remind me that bridges ice over before roads..

Upvote 0
Really "instantly"? :)

I've owned dozens of automobiles with exterior temperature indicators from GM, Ford, Honda, and Mazda and there has been some delay on all of them. Every model has different logic, but it typically takes several miles of driving while the vehicle is moving over a certain speed before the indicated temperature starts slowly changing. The indicated temperature usually matches the actual temperature after moving for a few to several miles. This is done because the OAT sensor in an automobile is typically in the front near hot components and inches above the road surface - the vehicle needs to be moving to get a reasonably accurate read that is not affected by heat generated by the vehicle.

With that said, my '23 Model Y's exterior temperature indication is very slow to respond - much slower than any other automobile I've ever owned.

Upvote 0
Really "instantly"? :)

I've owned dozens of automobiles with exterior temperature indicators from GM, Ford, Honda, and Mazda and there has been some delay on all of them. Every model has different logic, but it typically takes several miles of driving while the vehicle is moving over a certain speed before the indicated temperature starts slowly changing. The indicated temperature usually matches the actual temperature after moving for a few to several miles. This is done because the OAT sensor in an automobile is typically in the front near hot components and inches above the road surface - the vehicle needs to be moving to get a reasonably accurate read that is not affected by heat generated by the vehicle.

With that said, my '23 Model Y's exterior temperature indication is very slow to respond - much slower than any other automobile I've ever owned.
Leave it to german engineering then. The ambient temp sensor was mounted low and forward of many of the engine components - in an air duct that routed to the brakes, so even more so isolated from the engine compartment. So even the slightest amount of motion - would be enough to get an accurate ambient air temperature.

1699891606400.png

As a test, tomorrow I'll try driving out of the garage in service mode, and see if the temp reflects outside temp instantly - and it's just software being software, or if it's indeed a poor hardware design on Tesla's part.

Reactions: zroger73
Upvote 0
It is attached to the active grill shutter in front of the radiator.

View attachment 991669
I couldn’t find any outside air temp read out in service mode. I did use one of those apps that’ll pair with the OBDII and found an outside temp, and an adjusted outside temp. They both reflect the temp shown on the screen. I believe the adjusted temp took longer to show up.

I’m wondering if maybe the sensor is behind the active damper, and it’s only getting a true reading when the damper opens for cold outside air to cool the radiator.

Upvote 0
I have same issue up here in Ottawa, Canada. Leave my garage at 10 deg c (50F) into outside air that is -1 (32) and it takes 14 mins to move from 50 to then start counting down to the actual temperature. Tesla tell me this is normal - I don't think it is. It's basically useless for quarter of an hour. Like many cold places, knowing when black ice is likely is hugely important in winter. Needs some sort of software update (assuming it's not hardware).

Reactions: Chewy13
Upvote 0
Tesla now accept that 14 mins is too long and will use my case to request a software change. We shall see...

Same here, exactly 14 minutes before the temp starts to change. Besides not being able to know the actual outdoor temp for if there may be ice, the climate control doesn't know what to do either for 14 minutes into the drive.
On cold mornings the windows always fog up because the climate control has no idea the outside temp is lower than in my garage and just keeps blowing air on my face instead of directing it to the windshield.

Upvote 0