Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Tesla Shareholders Ask for Better Public Relations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tesla held its annual shareholder gathering Tuesday where Chief Executive Elon Musk continued to pump upcoming advancements in vehicle design, autonomy, and manufacturing, while several attendees seemed to make a plea for the company to take stronger control of its narrative in the media.

Several attending shareholders either requested Tesla’s plan or offered their own in regards to media coverage that presents the company in a negative light. Some reports have suggested that Tesla has a demand problem and is teetering on bankruptcy.

“Very distressing and makes me sad,” Musk said about the negative coverage. “I don’t know what to do about it.”

But, Musk acted as if public relations is not currently a priority. There are no plans for advertising campaigns, as has been the case since the company’s founding.

“We’re currently selling more cars than we can make so spending money on advertising would make things worse financially,” Musk said.

Instead, he stressed Tesla’s focus on building battery cells to fill car orders, and building software to make those cars full-self-driving.

“There is not a demand problem. Absolutely not,” Musk said.

Sales have far exceeded production and production has been good, he said. In fact, Tesla may “have a shot at a record quarter.”

Musk shared that Tesla has the best revenue of any car on sale in the U.S.

“An electric vehicle is the highest revenue car in America, 10 years ago nobody would have believed it,” he said.

Investors also showed interest in Tesla’s upcoming pickup. Musk said it will likely be unveiled later this summer. He said the company aims to build “something more functional than an [Ford] F150, but a better sports car than a basic [Porsche] 911.”

In official business, Tesla shareholders rejected a proposal to shorten board members’ terms from three years to two years, while another proposal to change a supermajority voting requirement to a simple majority also failed.

Watch the full shareholders meeting here.

Last edited by a moderator:
CHALLENGE

Please post an example of great ads that make or made you go buy some/any vehicle.
I liked Elon's comment: "trickery", which seems to me the overwhelming adjective for Madison Ave. Ads.

side note:
no one hires from a resume (got to interview)
no one buys from an ad (got to test drive - and getting feedback from an actual owner helps a lot)

Thanks to all the "show off" their Teslas to friends and family and acquaintances.

up vote for continuous improvements and referral program rewards
[how about continuous improvements in customer communications?]

Last edited:
Reactions: Mobster
CHALLENGE

Please post an example of great ads that make or made you go buy some/any vehicle.
I liked Elon's comment: "trickery", which seems to me the overwhelming adjective for Madison Ave. Ads.

Tesla needs to advertise, but it doesn't need to sell from those ads. It needs to change the narrative. Many people only hear of Tesla first because of negative press. They're too preoccupied with their boring daily lives to care any further than that. Tesla putting out some kind of ads, not even to sell a car but to set a message, would go a long way to reducing the LASTING impact of negative press that sticks in their minds.

Tesla needs to advertise, but it doesn't need to sell from those ads. It needs to change the narrative. Many people only hear of Tesla first because of negative press. They're too preoccupied with their boring daily lives to care any further than that. Tesla putting out some kind of ads, not even to sell a car but to set a message, would go a long way to reducing the LASTING impact of negative press that sticks in their minds.
Change the narrative? Care to give us an example? hope springs eternal, dream on

Only you owners have the authority to change the narrative. Those buying into the negative narrative aren't going to be changed by a Tesla Ad. Anyone with the internet can search and learn IF they want to. Those who buy that Elon is a con-man or Model 3 has no demand....

I just have no idea how you think an ad can "change the narrative". Give your examples.
Mean while I vote for production increases, more batteries and no wasted money on ads.

PS - Ever use YouTube to research about most anything?
Do YouTube search on your favorite Tesla. I think many are better than any Madison Ave. Ad. IMHO

I agree. With a focus on providing factual information to educate the largely ignorant public who are easily influenced by the media. While people on this forum may be fully aware of the advantages of a BEV, a very large percentage of the population is still pretty clueless, driving around in petrol/diesel and half-assed hybrids. Which is why the likes of Toyota get away with talking BS about the advantages of a non-plug in hybrid and people believe it.

I also agree with Brando that traditional car ads suck, which again opens the door for Tesla to present something more interesting and compelling. Most car ads appear to be written by art students high on weed.

Basically if Tesla continues to ignore the media advertising machine they will be taken advantage of by their competitors. Look how Jaguar managed to promote the iPace as having superior performance to a Model X. The ads were laughable, but most people now think the iPace is the EV performance benchmark.

As Tesla move into larger production volumes with Model 3 and Model Y and competition really does start to appear, then advertising will become pretty much essential to keep a level playing field. I hate car ads in general and they are not going to sway me personally either way, but most people are really not into automotive engineering and just go off of what they read and watch in the media. In the UK people are pretty much brainwashed into buying Audi, Merc, BMW, Jaguar after being bombarded with "lifestyle" ads and sponsored reviews.

The best thing owners can do is help educate the public. I've written several Canadian national newspapers encouraging their automotive departments to included more articles to educate the public about the benefits of EV's. I hit on such topics as "myth busters on EV's", "do comparisons on the total cost of ownership (purchase price + operating costs) of an EV vs an ICE", "practical road trip examples to ease range anxiety". The more these topics are published the more educated consumers will become, then the more mainstream EV's will become. If we all took on this challenge, it will make a difference.
Thanks for listening
Stephen

CHALLENGE

side note:
no one buys from an ad (got to test drive - and getting feedback from an actual owner helps a lot)

Thanks to all the "show off" their Teslas to friends and family and acquaintances.

up vote for continuous improvements and referral program rewards
[how about continuous improvements in customer communications?]
Ads exist to make people aware of a product, and to keep the product uppermost in their minds. Ads do not sell. I was completely unaware of electric cars until last July 2018. Somehow, in my quest for the best gas mileage and cargo space, I had never found Tesla or even a Leaf.
I feel as though a few ads claiming clean energy, safe, American made and luscious would go far to bring Tesla into focus for people who didn't accidentally find it on Youtube.

I agree with Elon. One of the reasons I bought a Tesla, is because everyone I spoke with who owned a tesla absolutely loved it, and said they couldn't imagine buying any other vehicle; and now I feel the same way. I don't know of any better advertising than that.
Best advertising in the world - Word of mouth from a friend. That is why I bought my M3

If the company is maxed out making cars as fast as possible and they are selling all of them, then the value of paid advertising is low. I did just see a TV ad for a new electric VW bus. Makes me want to go see it. I don't need one and would rather have a MY or MS, but it peaked my interest. EVs are cool.

Reactions: Mjsais
CHALLENGE

You want a great ad?

There you have it, the best ad ever:

TvI8fpP.jpg

Audi started an Ad war, Bently ended it

I bought my M3 in March after doing lots of my own online research. Never drove or rode in one. I did visit a store (Palo Alto) and sat in one after I decided to order one. 3,000 miles later, it exceeds all of my expectations. Compared to my purchase of a new Honda in 2015 and another one (from a different dealer) in 2017, the Tesla process was wonderful. Lots of credible testimonials and critiques for real owners online, Amazon-like ordering and payment, delivery to my door on a flatbed truck (I live on Hilton Head Island), pick up of my trade-in by the delivery truck, etc. You can probably imagine the pain of the Honda shopping, negotiating, purchase, trade-in, and delivery. Night and day.

I had a very narrow criterion for buying the Tesla. I'm 75 years old, and I drive a four hour round trip every week on very rural 55 mph back roads of South Carolina to do volunteer work in a state prison. Electric was not a criterion, although I really do love that part, too. I decided that the present and future FSD would reduce my likelihood of having a tragedy behind the wheel. I watched many owner videos of what autopilot did well and did poorly, and refreshed my understanding of AI, neural networks, etc.

I am now convinced that (attentively) driving a Tesla on autopilot is the safest mode of driving available, and that if you're in an accident, the M3 is the safest car to be in. Also very good for the planet, very low cost of ownership, etc. I agree with Elon's frustration about the daily garbage dump of misinformation about the company and its products, and I would not spend any advertising dollars trying to change the minds of the misinformed.

No need for ads (nor tweets). Just keep delivering and keep optimistic goals inhouse. There is a media dramaturgy which means after hype, a company will be bashed and then hyped etc etc. Tesla has been badly bashed lately, so as long as it delivers it will soon be hyped.

Elon is a fantastic entrepreneur and visionary and that's where he should put all his focus, in my view. He should bother less about stock price and media reactions.

Ads have one other major benefit....they buy you leniency from the media. Today's media is solely funded by advertising. If you are one of their sponsors they will go relatively easy on you. If you don't advertise with them then they write hit pieces about you. It's basically a legalized protection racket, but that's the world we live in. You either play the game, or try to change the rules of how the world works. Tesla is trying the latter, I guess we'll see how that strategy works out for them in the long run.

Reactions: rrsurfer1
So far Tesla and nobody posting here seems to get it. I understand that demand already exceeds supply. However, the media is biased as hell against Tesla. What nobody seems to grasp is the media is typically friendly to it's advertisers. If you don't spend advertising dollars, don't expect positive articles. I'm sorry that is just the way the world works, not just the car industry, although other auto companies are huge ad spenders so in this case it is even more apparent.

The bad media is affecting Tesla's stock and investment along with potential buyers now and in the future. It's time to take back some control of the narrative, which requires advertising. Don't expect the negativity to change until this occurs.

Reactions: TomHudson

Probably true, but for many buyers ads are certainly a factor in the choice of which car(s) to test drive. Ads don't sell; they plant seeds of interest. Right now, many buyers don't even consider BEVs because of ignorance and FUD, which carefully crafted ads could dispel and replace with interest.

Ads have one other major benefit....they buy you leniency from the media. Today's media is solely funded by advertising. If you are one of their sponsors they will go relatively easy on you. If you don't advertise with them then they write hit pieces about you. It's basically a legalized protection racket, but that's the world we live in. You either play the game, or try to change the rules of how the world works. Tesla is trying the latter, I guess we'll see how that strategy works out for them in the long run.

And just as I was posting my reply, someone who actually understands.