Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla shows prototype of metal charging cable snake

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually, think of this option:

Think of a tiny upside-down gantry crane that you lay on your garage floor. Attached to it is the charging cable, and you have a port under the car. You drive into the garage, straddling this device. Through simple communication from the car to device, it recognizes when your car parks, moves in 2 dimensions to find the charging port, then moves up and plugs in. Likewise, when you start the car later to pull out of the garage, it retracts from the car.

This would be a solution that:

1) is simple (2 degree-of-freedom horizontal movement, and a third movement upward to plug in).
2) could be installed easily: simply lay it in the center of your garage floor, perhaps secured with a few masonry screws. If the charge port is located near the center of the underbelly of the car, it could be small enough to avoid concerns about running over it when parking.
3) would also work for supercharging
4) avoids losses that you would get with inductive charging.
5) gives you all the simple benefits of automatic charging (it's automated, you don't have to get out of the car if the weather's bad, etc).
6) should be cheaper than this awesome, but likely expensive and complex snake.

Obviously it doesn't work for the S with no second charge port under the car, but future cars probably ought to have this.

Oooh. I thought of an even better design that doesn't require any automation, has basically zero moving parts, requires almost no work to install, and would plug into an existing 14-50 outlet.

I'll describe later when I have some time...maybe in a new non-snake-related thread.

I think a better/simpler solution to this would be a charge port underneath the car.
7a7a6066c.gif

Actually, think of this option:

Think of a tiny upside-down gantry crane that you lay on your garage floor. Attached to it is the charging cable, and you have a port under the car. You drive into the garage, straddling this device. Through simple communication from the car to device, it recognizes when your car parks, moves in 2 dimensions to find the charging port, then moves up and plugs in. Likewise, when you start the car later to pull out of the garage, it retracts from the car.

This would be a solution that:

1) is simple (2 degree-of-freedom horizontal movement, and a third movement upward to plug in).
2) could be installed easily: simply lay it in the center of your garage floor, perhaps secured with a few masonry screws. If the charge port is located near the center of the underbelly of the car, it could be small enough to avoid concerns about running over it when parking.
3) would also work for supercharging
4) avoids losses that you would get with inductive charging.
5) gives you all the simple benefits of automatic charging (it's automated, you don't have to get out of the car if the weather's bad, etc).
6) should be cheaper than this awesome, but likely expensive and complex snake.

Obviously it doesn't work for the S with no second charge port under the car, but future cars probably ought to have this.

That is very good idea..Todd Burch

Here are my questions:

Are you suggesting second charge port underbelly of the car for this charger?
I think current charge port is very accessible when I use superchargers. If we have second charge port may be what you described works best.

Also how fast would the charging cable retract if it is charging using chargeport underbelly of the car..

What happens to the Titanium shield that protects the battery?

You could make the "snake"/robot much more simple if you use the autopilot to move the port rather than move the charge plug. All you need is a plug that extends out from a bollard. The bollard would contain a camera that sends positioning to the car so it can align itself to the bollard perfectly, then the charge plug extends. You can even be off almost 1 inch and it will still work fine if the arm is flexible.

You could make the "snake"/robot much more simple if you use the :pautopilot to move the port rather than move the charge plug. All you need is a plug that extends out from a bollard. The bollard would contain a camera that sends positioning to the car so it can align itself to the bollard perfectly, then the charge plug extends. You can even be off almost 1 inch and it will still work fine if the arm is flexible.

Not cool enough:p

Not cool enough:p

Maybe, but it's likely to be thousands less cost. Maybe they can put the Snakes at SC's and offer an auto-connect HPWC for the home.

- - - Updated - - -

All good questions. Let me take some time to draw up more complete info on an even simpler idea, just to toss it out there. Will probably be later.

You can make things simpler by modding the car, but that orphans the existing fleet. You need a way that only requires software for the car, no added hardware.

You could make the "snake"/robot much more simple if you use the autopilot to move the port rather than move the charge plug. All you need is a plug that extends out from a bollard. The bollard would contain a camera that sends positioning to the car so it can align itself to the bollard perfectly, then the charge plug extends. You can even be off almost 1 inch and it will still work fine if the arm is flexible.

Although, you then are left with limited leeway on the location of the chargeport So maybe that'll be the budget version, and Full Metal Snske the cool toy for rich kids.

Looks like something appropriate for the superchargers. A little bit of overkill for my garage.

Yes, and I think even more appropriate for company parking lots with either a perk or an appropriately priced charger infrastructure with limited spots that have the speed capacity to charge multiple employees' / contractors' cars per work shift. Competing EV's could easily switch out charging without manual intervention.

However it should illustrate that the underside of a vehicle gets a constant pelting of debris, including gravel, dirt, ice, salt, snow, water, and mud. Not a great environment for a plug.

I agree. In fact, I was thinking in winter, the "snake" would have to poke and chip away at the ice buildup I get under there before it could even think about plugging in. Heck, I often have to chip away at the port on the side of my car in the winter just to open it.