Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Tesla Signs Agreement for Shanghai Factory

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla has finalized plans for a factory in Shanghai that would have capacity for 500,000 vehicles a year, according to a Bloomberg report.

A deal to produce Teslas in China has been in the works for some time, as the automaker has been trying to work out details with Shanghai’s municipal government. Those conversations were in play back in October. Chief Executive Elon Musk has said he hopes to begin producing cars in the country in 2020.

Bloomberg reported that Musk would be in the city for an event with the government on Tuesday. Reuters reported that Musk attended a signing held at Shanghai’s Fairmont Peace Hotel.

The Shanghai municipal government said in a statement that it will chip in on capital costs – in fact “fully support the construction of the Tesla factory,” according to the Reuters report.

Tesla plans to produce the first cars about two years after construction begins on its Shanghai factory, ramping up to as many as 500,000 vehicles a year about two to three years after that, Reuters reported.

Tesla is looking to increase production, while also more efficiently reaching global markets. The company currently operates its only car-assembly plant in Fremont, Calif., and a giant battery factory in Nevada. The company has said a European plant will follow the China plant and could be announced by the end of the year.

The importance of a factory in China has grown as trade talks between the U.S. and China have complicated. In response to tariffs imposed by the U.S., China last week increased the import duty on U.S.-made cars to 40 percent, prompting Tesla to raise prices in a large and competitive market for electric cars. A plant in-country would enable the automaker to avoid passing those taxes on to customers.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, how long will it take to ship the Model Y to the US after being built in China?
That's not how it will work. Teslas built in China will be sold in China, and maybe neighboring countries (like Japan and South Korea). Teslas sold in the US will continue to be built at the Fremont factory. Teslas built in Europe will stay in Europe. All of this will enable them to avoid the costly and time-consuming shipping process, and in many cases avoid import duties and fees as well.

That's not how it will work. Teslas built in China will be sold in China, and maybe neighboring countries (like Japan and South Korea). Teslas sold in the US will continue to be built at the Fremont factory. Teslas built in Europe will stay in Europe. All of this will enable them to avoid the costly and time-consuming shipping process, and in many cases avoid import duties and fees as well.

That makes sense. They still have to figure out where to build the Y though then it seems.

Not necessarily Fremont. Musk previously said they don't have space there. Not for Y, Semi, roadster, or truck. So, they'll have to expand somewhere else.

I'm fairly sure they are planning to build the Y in Fremont. What percent of 3 buyers would have preferred the Y if it was available.? I think 70-80%. The Y will probably greatly diminish 3 demand in the U.S.

The plan is to build both cars on the same line and switch as needed. Initial Y demand in the U.S. will be huge.

The roadster will probably have parts fabricated in the main Fremont factory but have a lot of flexibility on where to assemble a low volume car.

• Disagree
Reactions: adaptabl
I'm fairly sure they are planning to build the Y in Fremont. What percent of 3 buyers would have preferred the Y if it was available.? I think 70-80%. The Y will probably greatly diminish 3 demand in the U.S.

The plan is to build both cars on the same line and switch as needed. Initial Y demand in the U.S. will be huge.

The roadster will probably have parts fabricated in the main Fremont factory but have a lot of flexibility on where to assemble a low volume car.

You think it is that high? I’d think a lot of us still prefer sedans? I can’t deny the popularity of crossovers though.

Reactions: adaptabl
You think it is that high? I’d think a lot of us still prefer sedans? I can’t deny the popularity of crossovers though.

The only sedans still selling well in the U.S. are the camry and accord. And now soon the model 3. Ford has announced no more sedans. Cadillac has made great strides in quality but no one wants their core sedan products.

Europe seems to be heavily hatchback oriented, although I don't know the numbers. I have no idea about Chinese buying preferences. An overview of Chinese buying trends for cars would be interesting.

I'm curious of how much of an SUV the model Y will be.

I tend to agree with that high number. We have a Model 3 and if the Y had been available, assuming it was equivalent in other aspects, we would have probably chosen a Y. I do love the 3 but we turned in a RAV4 EV for the Model 3 and we really liked that form factor. But it worked out well anyway since we already have an X and we realized that we don't need the height or size (assuming the Y is any bigger inside) of a mid-size CUV along with our full-size one.

I tend to agree with that high number. We have a Model 3 and if the Y had been available, assuming it was equivalent in other aspects, we would have probably chosen a Y. I do love the 3 but we turned in a RAV4 EV for the Model 3 and we really liked that form factor. But it worked out well anyway since we already have an X and we realized that we don't need the height or size (assuming the Y is any bigger inside) of a mid-size CUV along with our full-size one.

That’s fair. We bought a CRV 6 months ago and maybe that’s why I’m 100% going for a 3 and not a Y.

I believe the new wave of crossovers with range will do well -- Kia Niro is heading that pack. We're targeting that to replace our aging CRV as the Model 3 replaced our G37

outside dimensions are, but interior are nearly the same as the CRV. -- sacrifice a little trunk, but it's plenty for local hauling the family+dog and junk along with weekenders. That's all we need.

With anticipated range in 150-200mi, that's plenty for round trips without charge and destination charging for a little longer ones. The single downer is the Mammoth trip that's ICE requiring still due to distance and amount of gear being drawn.