Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Post your buy back plan or free nights plan.
Thanks
Looking at Smart Meter Texas. We consume the most Energy. From 1pm-8pm. Highest point of the day is around 4pm - 6pm. When most of my family is at home. Knowing this. I was hoping to go with a Buy Back Plan that would bank extra solar production. To use later in the day. Are for the higher energy consuming months. May-August. Shell told me that my Solar credit or buy back. Will roll over from month to month. So I can bank the credit like an escrow account.
1666070773489.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks
Looking at Smart Meter Texas. We consume the most Energy. From 1pm-8pm. Highest point of the day is around 4pm - 6pm. When most of my family is at home. Knowing this. I was hoping to go with a Buy Back Plan that would bank extra solar production. To use later in the day. Are for the higher energy consuming months. May-August. Shell told me that my Solar credit or buy back. Will roll over from month to month. So I can bank the credit like an escrow account.
View attachment 864908

Your plan above looks like what I just renewed under, however it is dated 2022-06-21. The plan has now been updated. I looked at my EFL and the Delivery Charges are now 4.945 per kWh. This plan is significantly higher than my same plan 2 years ago before I had to renew which highlights prices will continue to rise. Maybe natural gas prices will come back down after the global situation, but I still wouldn't count on prices going down. It may just mean higher margins for the companies. I ended up signing a 60 month version to lock in, but now considering paying the $200 termination fee to get over to free N/W since I must charge at home.

This plan might be okay for you since you're planning to charge your EV at work and surely did the math on that charge cost vs at home. Curious how much it cost you to charge at work. I've heard some work places subsidize charge at work, but not sure about rates and for how long. I've always heard it was cheaper to charge at home vs super chargers or other public places.

Your plan above looks like what I just renewed under, however it is dated 2022-06-21. The plan has now been updated. I looked at my EFL and the Delivery Charges are now 4.945 per kWh. This plan is significantly higher than my same plan 2 years ago before I had to renew which highlights prices will continue to rise. Maybe natural gas prices will come back down after the global situation, but I still wouldn't count on prices going down. It may just mean higher margins for the companies. I ended up signing a 60 month version to lock in, but now considering paying the $200 termination fee to get over to free N/W since I must charge at home.

This plan might be okay for you since you're planning to charge your EV at work and surely did the math on that charge cost vs at home. Curious how much it cost you to charge at work. I've heard some work places subsidize charge at work, but not sure about rates and for how long. I've always heard it was cheaper to charge at home vs super chargers or other public places.
Thanks for the info. Yes. I signed the 60 month plan. With a $200 termination fee. I believe in June or July. I currently work in the medical center. 3 out of the 4 parking garages. That I may use within the year. Have 2 EV charging spots at each garage. If I get to work early enough. I can charge. For Free. So I estimated that I would charge at home for around or between $100-$150 per year. Not including a road trip charge.

Thanks for the info. Yes. I signed the 60 month plan. With a $200 termination fee. I believe in June or July. I currently work in the medical center. 3 out of the 4 parking garages. That I may use within the year. Have 2 EV charging spots at each garage. If I get to work early enough. I can charge. For Free. So I estimated that I would charge at home for around or between $100-$150 per year. Not including a road trip charge.

Nice. As EV popularity grows, I hope your garage adds more chargers otherwise you'll be relegated to your home rate. We Texan's complain about our rates, but it's still lower than most of the country.

Reactions: Jones1
Thanks
View attachment 864908

Interesting, this plan isn't on their website at least for my location. All the EFL show buyback at "Real Time Market Rate" which usually hovers in the 3-7c per kWh. Did you call in for this Fixed Buyback Plan? If so, it might be better than my "Free Nights" plan I'm going with.

Nice. As EV popularity grows, I hope your garage adds more chargers otherwise you'll be relegated to your home rate. We Texan's complain about our rates, but it's still lower than most of the country.

Been in Texas for 13 years and I have never seen rates go down when I renew regardless of the macroeconomic situation. Still nice its' way cheaper than the rest of the country.

As "Fixed Rates" plans go up, the break-even point changes, my current plan was at 12.2c kWh but it's going up to 16.6c kWh. So I went with Free Nights from Amigo Energy because I mostly charge my Tesla at home during the night. Looking at Smart Meter Texas, my highest consumption is during EV charging and when I use the dryer on the weekends. Our 1,800 sqft home is very energy efficient, so it doesn't take much to cool it with a single AC unit during the summer. After running the numbers, even with the 33c kWh higher rate, the below works if >50% of your energy is consumed during the "free" hours at night. Solar buyback is a measly 3c kWh. Since we are only installing 5.6kW Solar, the goal is for the solar system to mostly cover daytime use, so even in summer, we should be able to stay under that 50% threshold. One single PW can do whole home backup and it should help power the home a bit during the evening before free hours kick in.

1666110834482.png

The good news is that Tesla finally received the CENTERPOINT approvals required and is now scheduling installation. Let's see what date I get :D

As "Fixed Rates" plans go up, the break-even point changes, my current plan was at 12.2c kWh but it's going up to 16.6c kWh. So I went with Free Nights from Amigo Energy because I mostly charge my Tesla at home during the night. Looking at Smart Meter Texas, my highest consumption is during EV charging and when I use the dryer on the weekends. Our 1,800 sqft home is very energy efficient, so it doesn't take much to cool it with a single AC unit during the summer. After running the numbers, even with the 33c kWh higher rate, the below works if >50% of your energy is consumed during the "free" hours at night. Solar buyback is a measly 3c kWh. Since we are only installing 5.6kW Solar, the goal is for the solar system to mostly cover daytime use, so even in summer, we should be able to stay under that 50% threshold. One single PW can do whole home backup and it should help power the home a bit during the evening before free hours kick in.

View attachment 865032

The good news is that Tesla finally received the CENTERPOINT approvals required and is now scheduling installation. Let's see what date I get :D

Thanks for sharing your EFL. I think you got lucky with the Amigo 24M plan as only the 12M is now available. It is slightly cheaper today, but likely Amigo doesn't want the long 24 commitment as they're expecting to increase rates again next year. I had to re-read that "Your bill will contain a credit for Energy Charges resulting from all energy consumed during Night Hours." several times to make sure it really is totally free (includes TDU) during the free period.

Today's latest 12 month EFL for your same plan below. I'm trying to find a 8pm start vs 9pm start as someone recommended.

1666112648248.png

Thanks for sharing your EFL. I think you got lucky with the Amigo 24M plan as only the 12M is now available. It is slightly cheaper today, but likely Amigo doesn't want the long 24 commitment as they're expecting to increase rates again next year. I had to re-read that "Your bill will contain a credit for Energy Charges resulting from all energy consumed during Night Hours." several times to make sure it really is totally free (includes TDU) during the free period.

Today's latest 12 month EFL for your same plan below. I'm trying to find a 8pm start vs 9pm start as someone recommended.

View attachment 865056

You might have to call to get the 24-month plan, they have others that aren't shown on their website. Empower-12/24/36 is their all-in fixed rate plan but you have to ask for it. You can always checkout Electric Plans Made Easy - Texas Power Guide for more options, all it takes is a $10USD dono to see what they find.

I’m going to enjoy it while it last. But I have contacted the Hospital parking department by email to request they add more. They said they do have plans to add more. I will be contacting TMC parking Garage as well. None of them have a charging location.

View attachment 865032

Wait. Wait. I stopped reading at 3 cent per kWh for buy back ? What? Wow

Has anyone looked into Shell? MP2- Shell. My neighbor uses Shell buy back. I don’t know what type of system he has. I know it’s a Tesla System. He has posted on my POA community app. He posted that he pays only the monthly fee for having the service. Because he uses the solar credits. When he produces more than he uses. I’m going to try to reach out to him to get more details.

Okay. I damn near had a heart attack. My Apple Watch started notifying. My pulse was too high 😂. I’ll look into it. Thanks

Yup, it's a pittance I know but my small system won't produce that much excess anyway. Using Pwatts and Smart Meter usage numbers I calculate ~100 kW surplus only per month. If I could overproduce during the day I definitely would look at some of the higher-rate buyback plans:

Yup, it's a pittance I know but my small system won't produce that much excess anyway. Using Pwatts and Smart Meter usage numbers I calculate ~100 kW surplus only per month. If I could overproduce during the day I definitely would look at some of the higher-rate buyback plans:

I agree. I'm buying what I can afford. 12kwh 1PW. If I could do more. I would. I looked at what I could pay. Even if I still had a small electric bill. I'm financing my system. Knowing how prices go up. This will be a steal of a deal. In 5 years.

Has anyone looked into Shell? MP2- Shell. My neighbor uses Shell buy back. I don’t know what type of system he has. I know it’s a Tesla System. He has posted on my POA community app. He posted that he pays only the monthly fee for having the service. Because he uses the solar credits. When he produces more than he uses. I’m going to try to reach out to him to get more details.

When I looked at Shell, all their EFL's said the buyback was at RTW - Real-Time Wholesale prices that update every 5 minutes with supply/demand and are published by ERCOT. They average ~3c kWh but can spike up to 500 ¢/kWh during peak demand periods. The EFL you posted earlier had it at a fixed rate but I couldn't find that on their website.

1666125459975.png

So this is basically the same for me as long as I keep my "Free Night Time" usage at greater than 50% of the monthly billed. In other words, I pay for all at 33c kWh but half is free so it's actually 16.5c kWh. The more used at night the better it is for now.

I live in the Houston area but travel to Port Arthur and Beaumont to visit family. My brother just told me there's a 12 stall supercharger that was just completed off of I-10 in Beaumont. Just in case anyone else needs to know about this. I know it doesn't have anything to do with solar lolPXL_20221018_205028592.MP.jpg

Interesting, this plan isn't on their website at least for my location. All the EFL show buyback at "Real Time Market Rate" which usually hovers in the 3-7c per kWh. Did you call in for this Fixed Buyback Plan? If so, it might be better than my "Free Nights" plan I'm going with.
I used tesla's code. I think it was TESLA.

No it was a link.

I live in the Houston area but travel to Port Arthur and Beaumont to visit family. My brother just told me there's a 12 stall supercharger that was just completed off of I-10 in Beaumont. Just in case anyone else needs to know about this. I know it doesn't have anything to do with solar lolView attachment 865153
$0.34 per kWh, it seems, about 10 cents a mile or so.
The other stations around me doesn't show price and when I asked a few people, they didn't know either, what it costs. Interesting.