Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The installers also told me. It’s not a big hassle to add more panels later. Which I won’t be doing. Or adding another PW. Which I might be doing. The cost will go up later. Compared to getting it installed now of course. But it’s not a big problem or hassle. They said they do it a lot.

Reactions: DrewHou
I have paint for my Conduit. The installers will try to talk you out of it. But they said they would paint it. If you have brushes as well as the paint. I have both.
I have a pretty strict HOA and they don’t allow ANY conduit visible on the front of the home even under eaves. So the installers brought the conduit down from the roof behind a gutter on the side of the house and they painted that with no problem (with me providing the brushes and paint of course) and then the rest of my wiring had to go in a trench around the front of the house over to the meter on the other side.

That’s to say they shouldn’t complain to much about a little paint when I had them out here dealing with conduit in a trench for my HOA haha.

Reactions: Jones1
The installers also told me. It’s not a big hassle to add more panels later. Which I won’t be doing. Or adding another PW. Which I might be doing. The cost will go up later. Compared to getting it installed now of course. But it’s not a big problem or hassle. They said they do it a lot.
Interesting… I thought to add more Tesla panels you had to order a whole 2nd system and couldn’t expand on the original system at all. I have two powerwalls and honestly they last longer than I would have expected. However, I wonder how I will feel about that in the summer.

Interesting… I thought to add more Tesla panels you had to order a whole 2nd system and couldn’t expand on the original system at all. I have two powerwalls and honestly they last longer than I would have expected. However, I wonder how I will feel about that in the summer.
The solar installers were talking to me about my roof layout. I had one spot that only had two panels separate from the other two panel locations. The guy asked me did I want to group them together. They said it would easier for them and less conduit to run. They said it’s better to do it that way. So if I wanted to add more panels later I would have a are to put the panels. I think that you can add panels later. You have to have them in a area where panels are not already at. That could be the separate system. When I talked to the PW guys. They also showed me the best layout. To install against my wall. So if I wanted another powerwall later it would be easier to install. While we were waiting for the to stop. Which it never did. We talked in my garage. About the different work that they would do. They said they upgraded or add on to Tesla systems a lot. Because later customers want more. The Power wall guy. Told me he installs the power wall. With the idea of. What if he hast to come back to put more. I told them that’s a good idea. He said he learned that going back working behind other guys. I do believe the solar array add in would be a separate system. I don’t think the power wall add are considered a separate system add on. I will ask them tomorrow again. Because I do plan. To get another powerwall in the future. After Tesla stock hits $2000 per share. Lol.

The solar installers were talking to me about my roof layout. I had one spot that only had two panels separate from the other two panel locations. The guy asked me did I want to group them together. They said it would easier for them and less conduit to run. They said it’s better to do it that way. So if I wanted to add more panels later I would have a are to put the panels. I think that you can add panels later. You have to have them in a area where panels are not already at. That could be the separate system. When I talked to the PW guys. They also showed me the best layout. To install against my wall. So if I wanted another powerwall later it would be easier to install. While we were waiting for the to stop. Which it never did. We talked in my garage. About the different work that they would do. They said they upgraded or add on to Tesla systems a lot. Because later customers want more. The Power wall guy. Told me he installs the power wall. With the idea of. What if he hast to come back to put more. I told them that’s a good idea. He said he learned that going back working behind other guys. I do believe the solar array add in would be a separate system. I don’t think the power wall add are considered a separate system add on. I will ask them tomorrow again. Because I do plan. To get another powerwall in the future. After Tesla stock hits $2000 per share. Lol.
Ahhh that makes sense. Yeah powerwalls from my understanding are a lot easier to add more than adding more panels. The installers also told me they made the wiring easy to add additional powerwalls with my setup. However I hope Tesla introduces a vehicle to grid solution in the near future because if I could use my Model S for backup I would never worry about being in the dark ever again. That’s like adding 7 powerwalls worth of storage. I can only hope that happens.

Ahhh that makes sense. Yeah powerwalls from my understanding are a lot easier to add more than adding more panels. The installers also told me they made the wiring easy to add additional powerwalls with my setup. However I hope Tesla introduces a vehicle to grid solution in the near future because if I could use my Model S for backup I would never worry about being in the dark ever again. That’s like adding 7 powerwalls worth of storage. I can only hope that happens.
Yep. I’m hoping the Same. I want my CT to have VTG.

Solar panels are all through my neighborhood now. My neighborhood is only 4 years old. My section is about 2 years old. I can throw a rock and hit about 5-6 houses with Solar on their roof. I love it. ERCOT is not trusted at all. After that freeze. Most of the installs aren’t Tesla systems and a lot of people don’t have a backup battery I see. At least they are trying to get energy independent.

• Love
Tesla Solar showed up today. They are installing panels and PW today.
4EE3C5AB-9BBA-4D25-80AF-1963EF6541B1.jpeg
653B3CBA-2050-45AF-89A4-18CB00E1B864.png

Today is my city inspection. Tesla got here at 7:30am and has been hanging out at my house until my actual inspection with the city between 12-2:30pm. He triple checked everything, chatted, and then sitting in his van until the city arrives. Long time to wait if you ask me haha.

Today is my city inspection. Tesla got here at 7:30am and has been hanging out at my house until my actual inspection with the city between 12-2:30pm. He triple checked everything, chatted, and then sitting in his van until the city arrives. Long time to wait if you ask me haha.
Thanks for the heads up. I’ll have to take off work again for that. I’m sure they won’t do it in the weekend.

Thanks for the heads up. I’ll have to take off work again for that. I’m sure they won’t do it in the weekend.
Doubtful that the city or county has anyone working on the weekends. Yeah once the inspector showed up it was maybe 15 mins and he said it passed and everyone left.

He also said that Centerpoint has hired several more people to process interconnects. His words were “PTO should happen pretty quickly since they have been approving them the last week or two faster than we can install systems”

Doubtful that the city or county has anyone working on the weekends. Yeah once the inspector showed up it was maybe 15 mins and he said it passed and everyone left.

He also said that Centerpoint has hired several more people to process interconnects. His words were “PTO should happen pretty quickly since they have been approving them the last week or two faster than we can install systems”
I’m not home yet. I had my wife use Face time so the guy could explain how the system worked. I believe the guy told me the red disconnect. Is what I turn on or off. To get power from the panels. I’m probably not saying that right. I am in the HOV lane on auto pilot. Barely.

2CE22580-2C7C-4F0C-8BBC-1E2B69DDF9F5.jpeg

He said the red button is the disconnect for the Power wall. When it’s off. The panels won’t charge the power wall. He showed me the two breakers for the inverters as well. He said my second inverter is off. So it won’t back feed to the grid. But I can turn all of it on. Just to test it. He said I could turn on the power wall red disconnect. If I wanted to charge my power wall. During the day and run the house off of solar then to turn it back off at the end of the day or when the battery is full. Am I saying this right is this correct? Thanks.

I’m not home yet. I had my wife use Face time so the guy could explain how the system worked. I believe the guy told me the red disconnect. Is what I turn on or off. To get power from the panels. I’m probably not saying that right. I am in the HOV lane on auto pilot. Barely.

View attachment 870408
I have one of those disconnects inside my garage near my powerwalls. I was told it was an emergency disconnect and that to power down the solar and powerwalls was the box next to the gateway box. Idk what’s correct. Either way my installers made sure my system was up and running before they left and told me that I can use it as normal until PTO comes and then I just need to change the setting in the app. Strange how they told you to turn it on just to test things but with me they said it’s all powered up and your good to run it as normal from here on out.

I have been full nerd since Saturday and now know way more about electricity than I ever cared to know haha.

Also when my battery is full and I’m not using enough power my panels automatically just shut down. So not sure why they told you that it needed to be off or else it would back-feed to the grid.

Tesla always has a different answer depending on who you talk to so this is not surprising I guess.