Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It was actually a big day for Solar and since I was holding at 100% I donated almost all of it to the grid for free. This is the real question, I missed out on good buyback pricing during this time but would it have been enough to offset all of my usage for the month like with my free nights? I highly doubt it but it will be interesting to see how this all pans out including the surges in grid pricing for Tesla Electric vs free nights and donating to the grid at times.

Reactions: Jones1
It was actually a big day for Solar and since I was holding at 100% I donated almost all of it to the grid for free. This is the real question, I missed out on good buyback pricing during this time but would it have been enough to offset all of my usage for the month like with my free nights? I highly doubt it but it will be interesting to see how this all pans out including the surges in grid pricing for Tesla Electric vs free nights and donating to the grid at times.
Yes. I sold a lot today. We turned the water off. So my family didn’t consume much. I wish TE had a better info in the app. I have to wait for my bill. Actually Tesla still has the best app. With the most data. But I’m greedy. I want more.
I started selling early in the morning. Then k stopped to preserve my back up. Want my PW started charging from the sun. I lowered my reserve to 75/25%. But most of what I produced went to the grid. I for got to lower my reverse at 630pm. I paid .24 at peak for 15 minutes. Lol. My friend text me. I looked at my phone. To check the app. Then hurried up to lower down to 60/40. So when you are selling to the grid. It can be at any rate.
4.9kw, 1kw, 3.5kw. It’s whatever they want to pull from your PW or Solar. There is no cap. It’s just your reserve limit. That you can set. I only have 1 PW. I had to have made enough to cover my usage for their month tho. I hope.

E1DB9651-3418-4E5D-91E1-7F728D7E4D80.png
4A836E2E-F2A1-414F-AD84-74C02194F4D8.png

Hey @DrewHou. Do you find yourself using the Span app more than the Tesla Solar app? Or you just switching back and forth between them? Is the span app a set and forget it app? Or do you just check it when you see a spike of home usage from your home in the Tesla app?

I’m trying to decide my 2023 Large purchase. 😂

Hey @DrewHou. Do you find yourself using the Span app more than the Tesla Solar app? Or you just switching back and forth between them? Is the span app a set and forget it app? Or do you just check it when you see a spike of home usage from your home in the Tesla app?

I’m trying to decide my 2023 Large purchase. 😂
So span is pretty much set it and forget it but I like seeing how individual circuits change from day to day. I am a data hungry person though so I am in and out of both apps all day like an addict lol.

I love the span. Grid goes out and instantly the non essentials pop off and I get a notification with how much backup I have left. Then at 50% PW it will knock down to just my must haves. Support is amazing and overall experience is night and day different than Tesla. I highly recommend it. Especially since you only have 1 PW you’d benefit from it even more. I’m just trying to figure out if I can claim it as a part of my 30% tax credit as part of my solar even though it was done by a different contractor. Span said I could since it was same timeframe as my solar… but maybe I should ask a tax guy before I go getting audited haha.

Well nobody ever passed along those savings to me before even then I was on variable plans for power haha.

I went into self power mode yesterday to see what it would be like on a Holiday with just solar and PW. Started at midnight with 48% on the PWs. Woke up around 7ish with 23%, now at 4:20 ish lol even running double electric wall ovens, lights, 3 TVs, and a ton of other stuff. I’m at 64% PW. Considering my 9.2kw system peaks at 3.9kw in the winter I consider it pretty good.

Long term I may add a third or fourth PW but that’s long term goals haha.

Well nobody ever passed along those savings to me before even then I was on variable plans for power haha.

I went into self power mode yesterday to see what it would be like on a Holiday with just solar and PW. Started at midnight with 48% on the PWs. Woke up around 7ish with 23%, now at 4:20 ish lol even running double electric wall ovens, lights, 3 TVs, and a ton of other stuff. I’m at 64% PW. Considering my 9.2kw system peaks at 3.9kw in the winter I consider it pretty good.

Long term I may add a third or fourth PW but that’s long term goals haha.
I’m definitely going to add 2 more PWs later. Five years. Hopefully the next gen will be LFP. It will make me feel better about waiting to go Ape on my system. 😆

6 PWs in the garages. 6 inverters and 3 gateways. I think with the Tesla energy plan, we may make more money than the free night plans.
View attachment 888844
Salute. Truly Inspirational.

I had to have done well for the freeze. I’m thinking. When summer time rolls around. The Grid will be in need of Our Power Plants on our roof. That’s when the Tesla Electric Plan. Will shine. I’m going to do a full 12 month cycle. See how it pans out. Knowing Tesla. They will make changes to improve the service.

Reactions: DrewHou
View attachment 887763
First electric bill from reliant. I used 748 kWh of energy and the bill came to 6.40. A little over 500 kWh of that energy was car charging but I’m happy with my plan change.
This bill is so depressing… I was born and raised in Houston, and all of my family still lives there. Hawaii has been our home for the past 11 years, and our electricity costs are the highest in the nation. We finally broke down and got 24 Tesla panels and two powerwalls. They charge .42¢ kWh here! Our minimum charge from HECO even if we don’t use a single kw from the grid is $26.40. They don’t have any special deals for solar customers. They charge you .42¢ kWh for everything you use from the grid, and they will give you a whopping .10¢ kwh for what you sell to them. I know people with solar that still have electric bills that are over $500 a month.

• Informative
Reactions: DrewHou and Jones1
This bill is so depressing… I was born and raised in Houston, and all of my family still lives there. Hawaii has been our home for the past 11 years, and our electricity costs are the highest in the nation. We finally broke down and got 24 Tesla panels and two powerwalls. They charge .42¢ kWh here! Our minimum charge from HECO even if we don’t use a single kw from the grid is $26.40. They don’t have any special deals for solar customers. They charge you .42¢ kWh for everything you use from the grid, and they will give you a whopping .10¢ kwh for what you sell to them. I know people with solar that still have electric bills that are over $500 a month.
That’s actually what I am afraid of happening over time. We all move to electric everything and then they find a way to charge you alarming amounts even if you have solar. Fingers crossed that’s not the case but I can’t imagine electric providers going quietly.