Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Even I didn't know that they would split the system in two and the two systems won't talk with each other. On top of that they connect the bigger system with smaller load of the house and vice versa. Here is my attempt to explain:
1678399079275.png

• Helpful
Reactions: Jones1
Even I didn't know that they would split the system in two and the two systems won't talk with each other. On top of that they connect the bigger system with smaller load of the house and vice versa. Here is my attempt to explain:
View attachment 915837
To me that seems reversed. I would think the bigger producing system would be attached to the larger load. Was this designed this way or did you already have an existing solar system and added a second one?

I am no electrician but this seems to make no sense to me to do it that way.

To me that seems reversed. I would think the bigger producing system would be attached to the larger load. Was this designed this way or did you already have an existing solar system and added a second one?

I am no electrician but this seems to make no sense to me to do it that way.
No the design was correct, the installer just flipped it by assuming that left line outside corresponded to left breaker box in garage. Ideally, he should have checked and confirmed which Service Line is connected to which breaker box.

Reactions: Jones1 and DrewHou
No the design was correct, the installer just flipped it by assuming that left line outside corresponded to left breaker box in garage. Ideally, he should have checked and confirmed which Service Line is connected to which breaker box.
Ahhh yeah the installer really was trying to just do a fast job then.

Also I see your breakers are inside your garage. I wish mine could be in the garage but instead the breakers are outside on the side of the house.

For balancing loads I suggest looking at the span panel it’s not cheap by any means but I think your use case lines up perfectly with their solution. I just got mine because I wanted control over my breakers without having to go outside in an outage.

for anyone trying to automate powerwall settings. Since I cannot set the off-peak rate to $0.00, have to go through this...
@Darwin has developed this and can be found here

for anyone trying to automate powerwall settings. Since I cannot set the off-peak rate to $0.00, have to go through this...
@Darwin has developed this and can be found here
Still strange you can’t set it at 0.00. I just cleared my plan and done it again on the latest version of the Tesla app and it still lets me set it as long as I leave the top two blank and do peak price buy and 0.00 sell on the bottom. Are you on iOS or Android? iPhone works but haven’t tested on Android in a bit.

Still strange you can’t set it at 0.00. I just cleared my plan and done it again on the latest version of the Tesla app and it still lets me set it as long as I leave the top two blank and do peak price buy and 0.00 sell on the bottom. Are you on iOS or Android? iPhone works but haven’t tested on Android in a bit.
I haven't been able to get this method to work. I'm on the latest iOS Tesla app update.

Circa Jan 2022, I was able to have a $0.00 off peak but that changed at some point mid year, last year during one of the big app overhauls.

I also cannot set it at $0.00 from ios or android but it doesn't matter as long as PWs work the way they are supposed to.

I've contacted Tesla multiple times, they said in their algo, there is no $0.00 at buy rate.
Definitely weird, Tesla was the one that helped me do this back in Dec 2022 before that I had done a trick with an old version on Android but then I lost it so I called into support and they advised to not touch or put any value in either the buy or sell section of off-peak then under peak but the value in peak and 0.00 in sell and that will make it auto default to 0 once I hit next. Like seen below. Which confirmed again still works for me just now. I wonder if there’s something in my account that allows it since so many others are not able to do it. If I even touch either of the off peak rates it will not let me do it but leave it fully blank and it goes through fine.
IMG_2003.jpeg

Maybe I just got lucky on this ONE thing with Tesla 🤣

Reactions: GoTzillaR
I’ll wait until the new PW comes out. Hopefully Tesla will have a Vehicle to grid option with a new PW. Dunno. Good to know they are selling PW without having to add panels. You get a $1000 off if you already have a PW. I noticed. In the configurator.

Reactions: DrewHou
So here’s the trick to
I’ll wait until the new PW comes out. Hopefully Tesla will have a Vehicle to grid option with a new PW. Dunno. Good to know they are selling PW without having to add panels. You get a $1000 off if you already have a PW. I noticed. In the configurator.
They charged me 9k for one PW and 3500 to install it…thinking if I want to get another one cuz grid charging at night for free is a sweet deal

Reactions: Jones1 and DrewHou
I know I would like one or two more but kinda having the same thoughts of waiting to see what they unveil this year. Plus I really want to gauge my summertime usage and solar to get a better understanding of what could be useful and what would just be overboard. Good to see this happening though!