Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ll probably go the free nights route later. Tesla won’t let current PW or Solar customers. Get the unlimited charging addition or plan until August - September. F That.
What plan and company are you with?
I’m on the 100% Green Free Nights with Just Energy. Have the car charge at night for free, have the powerwalls charge to full for free as well, and then any excess goes to the grid for 3 cent credit. Which works out pretty well for me.

That way I don’t have to really worry about anything. I finally can just let the system do whatever it needs and I know 95% of the time my powerwalls are at 100% in case of an outage.

• Love
Reactions: phsoccer and Jones1
I’m on the 100% Green Free Nights with Just Energy. Have the car charge at night for free, have the powerwalls charge to full for free as well, and then any excess goes to the grid for 3 cent credit. Which works out pretty well for me.

That way I don’t have to really worry about anything. I finally can just let the system do whatever it needs and I know 95% of the time my powerwalls are at 100% in case of an outage.
What do you have the off peak price buy/sell listed at in the Tesla app?

What do you have the off peak price buy/sell listed at in the Tesla app?
So I ended up leaving the off peak blank. I cut the sell price altogether because it was effecting the grid charging at night in a way that made me have to still have a manual process. Once I made this change it’s been set it and forget it. It’s maybe not as accurate but it does exactly as I would expect it to.

Start the day with 100% powerwall charge and on the grid

7am switch to solar + pw with excess going to the grid

9pm switch back to grid and charge car and pw back to 100%

Attachments

• IMG_3622.png
    IMG_3622.png
    106.1 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_3620.png
    IMG_3620.png
    152.3 KB · Views: 37
Reactions: Jones1
Last night. Storm watch was activated around 8pm. My PW charged to 60%. Then stopped.
I checked the app. Storm watch was over. But my PW still hasn’t discharged from 60%.Today I turned off Grid charging. I enable off grid mode. My PW started to discharge. As soon as I turned off. Off grid mode. My PW started charging from the grid again. My reserve has been set to 20-30%. Since about 4am. PW still setting at a 60% charge level. I emailed Tesla Electric. Just in case it’s a problem with their servers. No reply back yet.

Reactions: DrewHou
So I ended up leaving the off peak blank. I cut the sell price altogether because it was effecting the grid charging at night in a way that made me have to still have a manual process. Once I made this change it’s been set it and forget it. It’s maybe not as accurate but it does exactly as I would expect it to.

Start the day with 100% powerwall charge and on the grid

7am switch to solar + pw with excess going to the grid

9pm switch back to grid and charge car and pw back to 100%
How are you setting your PWs so it will fill to 100% during free night? Is it automatically?

Last night. Storm watch was activated around 8pm. My PW charged to 60%. Then stopped.
I checked the app. Storm watch was over. But my PW still hasn’t discharged from 60%.Today I turned off Grid charging. I enable off grid mode. My PW started to discharge. As soon as I turned off. Off grid mode. My PW started charging from the grid again. My reserve has been set to 20-30%. Since about 4am. PW still setting at a 60% charge level. I emailed Tesla Electric. Just in case it’s a problem with their servers. No reply back yet.
Very strange behavior, maybe the powerwall is just confused haha.

• Funny
How are you setting your PWs so it will fill to 100% during free night? Is it automatically?
Yep they are charging automatically. I just left the grid charge option on and since the app sees that the energy is completely free at night at 9pm on the dot every night it will bring them up to 100% automatically. Nothing special set other than the plan being blank on buy and sell for off peak and grid charge being left on.

The trick was for me is making sure the plan is set exactly like I had in my above screenshot. Any other combination didn’t let it automatically grid charge or would give me the silly error that you can’t set power to free.

Mine stopped discharging at 51% again, until about 4:00 am. This is the second time this week. I wonder if this is a new option because of the heat. Maybe they don't want the batteries to go too low because of grid instability. I am in the new VPP.

Mine stopped discharging at 51% again, until about 4:00 am. This is the second time this week. I wonder if this is a new option because of the heat. Maybe they don't want the batteries to go too low because of grid instability. I am in the new VPP.
I signed of for the VPP. On 6/9. I haven’t seen another email or notification since.

About 30 minutes after I posted this morning. My PW started working properly. It must have been TE or VPP. 🤷🏾‍♂️

Yep they are charging automatically. I just left the grid charge option on and since the app sees that the energy is completely free at night at 9pm on the dot every night it will bring them up to 100% automatically. Nothing special set other than the plan being blank on buy and sell for off peak and grid charge being left on.

The trick was for me is making sure the plan is set exactly like I had in my above screenshot. Any other combination didn’t let it automatically grid charge or would give me the silly error that you can’t set power to free.
I just signed up with Reliant Free Night plan yesterday and when setting up on the app, it recognizes the plan and fill in the details for me.
I have no PTO yet so no permission to export. I have a big system with 3 gateways. One of them with 2x Powerwalls fill up at noon and start exporting.
I have to take it off grid.
Why it is happening when I have no permission to export?
What can I do to stop the export? I'm setting that gateway to TOU instead of self-powered mode.

Reactions: DrewHou and Jones1
I just signed up with Reliant Free Night plan yesterday and when setting up on the app, it recognizes the plan and fill in the details for me.
I have no PTO yet so no permission to export. I have a big system with 3 gateways. One of them with 2x Powerwalls fill up at noon and start exporting.
I have to take it off grid.
Why it is happening when I have no permission to export?
What can I do to stop the export? I'm setting that gateway to TOU instead of self-powered mode.
I know when I didn’t have PTO yet mine would send a little power back to the grid even with the permission to export turned off but it was very little. Are you seeing a significant push to the grid?

Idk if it’s the app or me being on iOS Beta but I can’t see these except on the web…

Anyways, that’s good news for ppl not on a free nights plan. Especially if they have more than one EV. I would be interested to see how big of a solar system you would need for the excess credit to cover the monthly charge.

Each gateway push about 20-40 KWH a month so I don't know if it's a lot or little from CenterPoint point of view.
That’s roughly 1kwh a day so not horrible I guess however mine definitely never pushed that much before PTO. I was seeing more of a trickle here and there. Seems like strange behavior but other than going off grid I can’t see how you would be able to control it. Hopefully CenterPoint doesn’t care or you get PTO soon. Either way seems like it’s not something you have control over so I’m in the camp of don’t stress it until CenterPoint stresses about it haha. I can’t imagine in Texas summer having more power coming ONTO the grid is a bad thing hahaha!

When did you switch from Reliant Free Nights? I need to look up Just Energy..

Now the app won’t allow us to leave the off peak rate blank or Zero. So have to manually change settings in app every morning and every night. Once you do it for a week or two the algo in the system understands the behavior and you can then set up to 0% back up. And after few months you will need to train the system again

Now the app won’t allow us to leave the off peak rate blank or Zero. So have to manually change settings in app every morning and every night. Once you do it for a week or two the algo in the system understands the behavior and you can then set up to 0% back up. And after few months you will need to train the system again
You can see my system is discharging despite off peak hours. So i need to change setting to 100% back up at night and then switch back in the morning. Will need to do it for a week and then system will adjust to this mode. The best case is to have off peak buy price to $0.00 or Blank…but unfortunately the app does not allow it

Attachments

• IMG_5816.jpeg
    IMG_5816.jpeg
    257.3 KB · Views: 20

this plan states that you get credit for electricity used at night. Man don't want that...it should be straight up $0 (i.e. no charge). The rates have dropped significantly compared to earlier in the year. Even Reliant Free Nights is same rate now which is ~24 Cents for use during day. This plan is 3 year which is great, but concerned about credit based accounting/billing. We will never use up the credit received for night usage
1687699726991.png

1687699904389.png

VPP here. Well Maybe.
Has anyone that has signed up for Tesla VPP gotten a email? Saying you are in the program?
I haven’t gotten any message back. I have noticed my PW behavior has changed. It is no longer draining down to my reserve. Even when I’m not at home. It seems like the VPP is keeping the battery level a little higher. Choosing when to disperse. More than it did before.