Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also just to add in for those that are environmentally conscious like myself. I had opted for the nights free GREEN plan so even the grid usage that I use is being offset with renewable energy credits. So even though I wasn’t able to get enough panels on my roof to cover all my usage with this plan I feel like it’s as good as I can get to covering all my usage with renewable energy and not paying a bill. At this point I really don’t need more than my two powerwalls. Adding more would just be because I want to not because of any real needs or benefits.
Powerwalls are an interesting use case depending on everyone's particulars. If I don't grid charge at all, I have enough surplus production to charge one every day to a 100% and make it thru the Peak Day Period. However, if we didn't have Nights Free, I would need two Powerwalls to make it thru the night and minimize grid use but the system might not produce enough to charge both! At the same time, the buyback would be too low to offset the night grid use (especially with an EV). The house roof limits the number of panels I can have (stupid builder decided to do a left-hand layout instead of all the usual right-hand layouts and blocked my south roof with a bunch of vents). For this home, I've probably min-maxed the best system possible. Lets hope they don't kill Nights Free Plans xD

Reactions: DrewHou
Really interested to know if you get cash back for your credit. Amigo says they do both credit and cash out for unknown criteria. I do get more surplus energy than you even with a smaller system :p
just energy said they will do a cash out I believe after a year or something like that. I wasn’t paying that much attention tbh. I think if I cut my AC back to 72 or 74 I would have more excess. The heatwave has really cut out my excess since the AC is running nonstop from about 6am to 11pm haha. I just wanted to cover my monthly fees and break even so it’s a win for me haha.
Powerwalls are an interesting use case depending on everyone's particulars. If I don't grid charge at all, I have enough surplus production to charge one every day to a 100% and make it thru the Peak Day Period. However, if we didn't have Nights Free, I would need two Powerwalls to make it thru the night and minimize grid use but the system might not produce enough to charge both! At the same time, the buyback would be too low to offset the night grid use (especially with an EV). The house roof limits the number of panels I can have (stupid builder decided to do a left-hand layout instead of all the usual right-hand layouts and blocked my south roof with a bunch of vents). For this home, I've probably min-maxed the best system possible. Lets hope they don't kill Nights Free Plans xD
Agreed and why I locked in free nights for as long as I possibly could. Without free nights Tesla electric would be my next best option I believe. I’ve shifted my usage as much as possible but without free nights I would probably need another 2-3 powerwalls but my system wouldn’t be able to keep them powered up so it wouldn’t be a smart investment for me.

I plan to build a new house in around 5 years and will do it based on my solar needs because I didn’t account for solar when I bought my house because it wasn’t even in my radar until I got an almost 700 dollar electric bill 💸 haha. I would stay here but I have some of the same issues with the roofline and the vents as you.

Update....

So Far.....
Tesla Electric Plan Sucks if you have an Electric Vehicle and work days.
If you don't it may be a good choice for you.
On average. My bill is almost what it would cost for me to charge one EV.
I have Coworkers that get credits. I have not. Had one month where I received a credit. My lowest bills has been from $20- $40. My highest bills have been around $70-$100.
The worst part. Is that Tesla is offering better plans. To first time model 3 owners and non Tesla Solar installation customers.
It's a Slap In the Face. I have told Tesla Electric. How I and others feel.
I will keep the plan. Until November. That will be a full year. After that. I'm out.
No more Abuse. 😆

My coworkers don’t own an EV or have they used Tesla Solar for their install.

It is a very weird location. Under your car in the app, click on Schedule and it is there. No idea why they decided to bury it there. I was glad they lowered it to $25 rather than the rumored $30 per month.
I guess since I emailed Tesla Electric and complained. They removed it from my App. The Tesla Way. This is why so many former Tesla owners are driving ID4’s and crying. 😆

• Funny
Reactions: DrewHou
Is today the day we finally get clear skies for sunlight from sunrise to sunset??? Will it be so? 🤩
It was! Haven’t had one of these at the house since May!

IMG_3762.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: DrewHou and Jones1
Not sure if this is under solar so much but I can’t figure out where this setting would be. Back on July 13th the Tesla app was updated to have this feature to setup times for the wall connector without having to hotspot into the charger itself. However, I have never been able to find it in the app at all. Anyone else have this ability? If so where is it at? Car settings? Solar settings?

IMG_4563.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: Jones1
Update....

So Far.....
Tesla Electric Plan Sucks if you have an Electric Vehicle and work days.
If you don't it may be a good choice for you.
On average. My bill is almost what it would cost for me to charge one EV.
I have Coworkers that get credits. I have not. Had one month where I received a credit. My lowest bills has been from $20- $40. My highest bills have been around $70-$100.
The worst part. Is that Tesla is offering better plans. To first time model 3 owners and non Tesla Solar installation customers.
It's a Slap In the Face. I have told Tesla Electric. How I and others feel.
I will keep the plan. Until November. That will be a full year. After that. I'm out.
No more Abuse. 😆

My coworkers don’t own an EV or have they used Tesla Solar for their install.
Been seeing a lot of days with System Wide Pricing above $1000, how are you doing earning credits this month?

Need to make big bucks now to offset the extra cost rest of the year.

Been seeing a lot of days with System Wide Pricing above $1000, how are you doing earning credits this month?

Need to make big bucks now to offset the extra cost rest of the year.
For the last week. I’ve seen up to $4 per kWh. Haven’t gotten a new bill statement yet. The last statement I paid was around $40. It was not enough to have a credit left over. Tesla Electric. Have emailed to say that they are coming out with new plans in September or October. Unlimited charging and different PW plans. To make more money or credit. I will probably leave and come back if they have something available for me in a year or so.
I currently can’t do the charge by Solar because of my FSD beta. My car isn’t on the normal software that the new cars are on. It’s a Cluster F*** with all the different branches of software. It’s like Android.

For the last week. I’ve seen up to $4 per kWh. Haven’t gotten a new bill statement yet. The last statement I paid was around $40. It was not enough to have a credit left over. Tesla Electric. Have emailed to say that they are coming out with new plans in September or October. Unlimited charging and different PW plans. To make more money or credit. I will probably leave and come back if they have something available for me in a year or so.
I currently can’t do the charge by Solar because of my FSD beta. My car isn’t on the normal software that the new cars are on. It’s a Cluster F*** with all the different branches of software. It’s like Android.
Keep us posted, really interested to see how high the credits go. Hopefully, we get VPP at some point that's usable with non-Tesla Electric REP's.

I've got all the software versions for Charge by Solar yet it still doesn't show up as an option on the app so who knows? Here it's being rolled out in batches but at this point I'm not really thinking it will make much difference for me.

Keep us posted, really interested to see how high the credits go. Hopefully, we get VPP at some point that's usable with non-Tesla Electric REP's.

I've got all the software versions for Charge by Solar yet it still doesn't show up as an option on the app so who knows? Here it's being rolled out in batches but at this point I'm not really thinking it will make much difference for me.
Yep. Can’t even get the VPP monthly payment yet. Since I have the newest Powerwall. Tesla Electric is working on that they say too.

I just got PTO today. What's a journey with Centerpoint and try to throttle my big system during the day so it does not back feed to the grid and ruin the PTO process.
I'm with Reliant free night and it's been working fine. The last 2 months have been $19 and $14 bills respectively but I want to move to another plan to allow buy back.
I'm thinking Amigo energy. Anyone know the cons/pros of Amigo and Just Energy?

Reactions: Jones1
I just got PTO today. What's a journey with Centerpoint and try to throttle my big system during the day so it does not back feed to the grid and ruin the PTO process.
I'm with Reliant free night and it's been working fine. The last 2 months have been $19 and $14 bills respectively but I want to move to another plan to allow buy back.
I'm thinking Amigo energy. Anyone know the cons/pros of Amigo and Just Energy?
Tesla Electric would probably be a good plan for you. I believe you have like 5 or 6 powerwalls. I don’t remember. I’m using the app so I can’t see your signature line.
You could be selling kW’s back at a rate of $3-$4 x 50 kWh’s a day. 😆
But I’m also interested in Amigo or Just energy.

Reactions: wiltoking