Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just realized it's been a year with Tesla Solar woooh! Total of 6.1 MWh's generated on a 5.6 kW system even though the first four months were without PTO. Next milestone 1yr of PTO in April. Interestingly, thanks to the EV, the solar offset has only been 47% (from an originally estimated 103% hehe). Of course, once solar was installed we stopped getting power outages, so only managed 3 hours of backup so far :(
As long as the kids and wife aren’t complaining about the lights. And the Beer is Cold. We Are Good. 😆
I also added an EV after I had originally designed my system. I didn’t want to reconfigure my system. So I got it installed like it was designed. I went from 90% to 47%. At first I would charge at work. I cannot do that now. New location. No charging allowed. Big Oil. 😆

Yeah those work chargers were white herrings to entice people to adopt EVs, now that more have they’re removing that perk. At work they finally installed some but made them only for company vehicles of which we have none that are EVs lol. Honestly it would be easy to calculate how much it would cost at 100% use and add that line item to the yearly budget, wouldn’t be much compared to the rent they pay for these buildings. One would hope someday we add solar panels on top of all the parking garages that power chargers for EVs for people while at work. More likely than apartments adding chargers I think.

BTW who’s ready for the freeze?

• Funny
Reactions: Jones1
I have a new garage, thanks to Tesla's defective wall connector, new one works now 😀 How do I remove it? Ther isn't an option.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240112_091045_Tesla.jpg
    Screenshot_20240112_091045_Tesla.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 26
Power has been down for an hour now in our part of town due to all this wind. The cacophony of generators on our street is hilarious. Under appreciated benefit of Powerwalls.
I have a Generac owner behind my house. I’ll hear his system start up. Whenever the grid goes down. Tesla app has a delay sometimes. But that loud ass generator. Let’s me know. When it happens.

As long as the kids and wife aren’t complaining about the lights. And the Beer is Cold. We Are Good. 😆
I also added an EV after I had originally designed my system. I didn’t want to reconfigure my system. So I got it installed like it was designed. I went from 90% to 47%. At first I would charge at work. I cannot do that now. New location. No charging allowed. Big Oil. 😆
67 percent from 90 percent. Not 47

May want to consider wrapping blankets on exposed water pipes to house unless, of course it is all underground, nothing exposed. Same with external faucets.
Yes. I purchased a cover for my sprinkler. From Amazon. Last year. Water hose outlets are wrapped. I don’t think it will be that bad. Just no power for a lot of people. We Good. 😆

Reactions: charlesj
wrapped up all my pipes with insulated tape a few good times and covered my water filtration system and setup my span panel to keep me going with heat, TV, WiFi, and fridge & lights in case of an outage. I am ready!!!
If you had to do it again. Would you still have gotten the Span? Or something else similar?
Probably not as good. Smart panel.

Reactions: DrewHou
If you had to do it again. Would you still have gotten the Span? Or something else similar?
Probably not as good. Smart panel.
If I was doing it again I think I would still stick with Span. I really like the app. I wish they were a bit quicker with adding some of the features they talked to people about but I understand the economy has shifted a lot in the past year.

The span is seamless when I lose power it instantly switches to my nice to have circuits and cut off my car charger and a few rooms that I rarely use. Then at 50% cuts down to just my priority ones. Plus I like the lights built in to the panel for those times I have to go out to the panel. Plus I love the way it looks next to the Tesla equipment haha.

The fact my two Powerwalls would last about 18 hours without span and 3 days with it is worth it to me. Can’t wait to get my other two PWs installed and have nearly a week of supply even if the sun doesn’t shine. I think it would be even more beneficial for other ppl but for me it’s a nice to have glad I splurged tool haha.

Also side note: power is still on but I hear the noise of a generator from a neighbor it’s so loud!!! Not sure if they just testing it or what but battery storage is the better way to go so glad I didn’t get a gas generator I would never sleep in a blackout hahaha

11:19am and I’ve only made 0.8kWh of solar so far I’m debating on using my electric bill credit and staying on the grid today to keep my PWs at 100% in the chance ERCOT lying about the grid holding haha.
I have made the decision. My PW drop below 70%. I saw no real production for today. So I’m using my Credit(grid) to charge the PW to 100%. With a 100% for back up. This is why I went with Solar and PW. For times like this. I’ll keep my Y at 80%. I’ll abuse the grid until it fails. 😂

• Funny
Reactions: DrewHou
I have made the decision. My PW drop below 70%. I saw no real production for today. So I’m using my Credit(grid) to charge the PW to 100%. With a 100% for back up. This is why I went with Solar and PW. For times like this. I’ll keep my Y at 80%. I’ll abuse the grid until it fails. 😂
Yeah I went ahead and moved my reserve to 90% since I have 135 dollars in credit I figure why risk it. Plus if the grid doesn’t fail how will we ever teach them to fix it! Just kidding (kinda) lol

• Funny