Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have mine set at 50% reserve mostly because of paranoia. I could probably drop it down to 30% most days. My concern is that I think it will sit at 100% for long periods of time. If the Powerwalls were LFP, I wouldn't worry about it. I suppose if I am on free nights, I could purposely set the rate plan such that on an average day of battery usage, that it doesn't have enough time to charge back to 100%. For example: instead of setting it from 9P to 7A, I could set it from 5A-7A or something like that.
You can turn off grid charging. For your PW’s. Then only enable it. When you want to use it.
But yes. Tesla should be able to do this. My EcoFlow is LFP. I can choose how much I want the batteries to charge from grid. I have it set to stop charging at 90%. Then it will only top off from Solar.

1708360596832.png

Question for those with free nights + Powerwall + solar. I assume your battery pack is at 100% fairly often? Any concerns with that?
I've got a 15.2kW system + 4 PW. I am not on free nights plan currently. It's working out ok for me right now. Powerwalls are set to 50% reserve (usually). With decent sun, I can get the car charged during the day and recharge the batteries. During the night, I run off the battery. On consecutive cloudy days, I'll end up on grid for a bit (mostly because I keep my reserve pretty high. My plan is coming up for renewal in a month, be thinking about Just/Amigo free nights, but wondering about the battery at 100% often. Curious of everyone's thoughts or how you manage your charging patterns.
I’m probably the worst one to take advice on this because I believe in don’t worry about how you use something just use it however fits you best and if it doesn’t last then replace it. I worry about my powerwalls the same as my cars. I charge it when and how I want and if it doesn’t last well I will switch to someone else’s product that will 😂

However, yes the powerwalls sit at 100% most of the time. Below is two graphs one for a typical winter and one for the worst of summer.

Mine are set on 20% backup unless a storm comes and I move it. I know a few people in my neighborhood that got PWs with no solar and leave theirs at 100% all the time and never use them unless there is a grid outage.

I figure if it would do harm Tesla would tell me in the app much like my car warns me to not charge my car to 100% on the regular.

Attachments

• IMG_0480.png
    IMG_0480.png
    352.3 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0479.png
    IMG_0479.png
    306.7 KB · Views: 6
Reactions: shingles and Jones1
Also, I don’t remember where I read or heard this but my understanding is that even when the powerwalls show 100% in the app it’s really not. Tesla added a bit of a reserve in order to be able to protect the battery. I tend to believe it since when storm watch kicks in my span panel reports longer backup time than when my batteries are just at 100% normally.

Reactions: Jones1
I am not sure if this additional data point helps or not but here you can see last years full data being on free nights how much my powerwalls charged/discharged. So even with a lot of time spent fully charged there is still a lot of action happening.

Attachments

• IMG_0481.png
    IMG_0481.png
    173.1 KB · Views: 5
I am ac
I’m probably the worst one to take advice on this because I believe in don’t worry about how you use something just use it however fits you best and if it doesn’t last then replace it. I worry about my powerwalls the same as my cars. I charge it when and how I want and if it doesn’t last well I will switch to someone else’s product that will 😂

However, yes the powerwalls sit at 100% most of the time. Below is two graphs one for a typical winter and one for the worst of summer.

Mine are set on 20% backup unless a storm comes and I move it. I know a few people in my neighborhood that got PWs with no solar and leave theirs at 100% all the time and never use them unless there is a grid outage.

I figure if it would do harm Tesla would tell me in the app much like my car warns me to not charge my car to 100% on the regular.

I am generally that way about the car... just charge it when i need it. But I do have the max generally set at 80%.
I think there's ~ 5% of reserve on the top end of the PW, so you are right, 100% isn't truly 100%.

I wish Tesla would let us set max charge on the powerwall... then I don't have to worry about it.

Reactions: DrewHou and Jones1
You can turn off grid charging. For your PW’s. Then only enable it. When you want to use it.
But yes. Tesla should be able to do this. My EcoFlow is LFP. I can choose how much I want the batteries to charge from grid. I have it set to stop charging at 90%. Then it will only top off from Solar.

View attachment 1019819

That would be the answer for paranoid people like me... let me set max charge to 90% or 95%, then I would be happy...

Reactions: DrewHou and Jones1
I have 2 PW2s and go from 100 to ~40-10 most days by the time free nights kick in. One PW was actually replaced about a year in. Original PW (~3 yr), Capacity 12.3 kWh and 20 MWh charge/discharge total. Newer PW (~2 yrs), Capacity 13.5 kWh and 15 MWh charge/discharge total.

Reactions: Jones1 and DrewHou
Wow yeah on my very first drive after delivery I kept getting speed limited to 111mph then it would keep dropping until I would turn the car off and back on. Tesla kept telling me I must be setting a limit but finally I got them to schedule it to bring it in and they realized the front drive unit was junk. Meanwhile they put me in an old torn seats legacy model S with a broken door handle that I had to add a strap of electrical tape to in order to even open the front door while they figured it out. That was my first experience with Tesla service after buying the model S at its highest price 😂
I bought my Y at the peak price....now going for 50K ...lol what's up with the electric tape... Tesla service has gone downhill, seems like the staff is on revolving door

Reactions: DrewHou
I bought my Y at the peak price....now going for 50K ...lol what's up with the electric tape... Tesla service has gone downhill, seems like the staff is on revolving door
I got a little lucky. I ordered in 2021. Upgraded to a performance with the older pricing. Tesla had increased the price 3 times. Since I had placed my order. When I picked up my MYP. It had went from 56k to 68k. About numbers.

I got a little lucky. I ordered in 2021. Upgraded to a performance with the older pricing. Tesla had increased the price 3 times. Since I had placed my order. When I picked up my MYP. It had went from 56k to 68k. About numbers.
Must be nice hahaha according to Tesla my Model S has lost 60k in value in just 2 years matter of fact my BMW X3M that I traded in is at this very moment two years later worth more than my current Model S 😂

If it wasn’t for FSDb I would be in another EV in a second flat. If tomorrow Porsche said we licensed FSDb from Tesla and has the new charger port… I would be gone. Mostly because of service and depreciation, partly because my car has bad mojo and a little bit because of Elon 😂

• Funny
Must be nice hahaha according to Tesla my Model S has lost 60k in value in just 2 years matter of fact my BMW X3M that I traded in is at this very moment two years later worth more than my current Model S 😂

If it wasn’t for FSDb I would be in another EV in a second flat. If tomorrow Porsche said we licensed FSDb from Tesla and has the new charger port… I would be gone. Mostly because of service and depreciation, partly because my car has bad mojo and a little bit because of Elon 😂
Oh. My value Dropped Hard. I remember in June 2022. I was feeling Great. The value was at 72k. Now it’s $42k. Last time I looked in November.
😂

1708539665627.png

Oh dayum this is a big one!

The Netzero app just got an update that adds automation of the powerwall controls. This is huge to make rules and schedules in an easy way! This app just keeps getting better! View attachment 1020452
I also like how they respond to feedback. I send them a message in the app. They responded the next day. I told them. I would like to see vehicle and PW. Vs picking one or the other. They said they will be working on this feature. They want to keep it a clean UI.

Oh dayum this is a big one!

The Netzero app just got an update that adds automation of the powerwall controls. This is huge to make rules and schedules in an easy way! This app just keeps getting better!

Thanks, let me know how the automation works for you and if you have feature requests. The next update will also show past automation runs.