Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla sold me a Lemon and called me to buy-back - HELP!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2/20 update:

After a few back and forth emails and phone calls, Tesla is offering to replace it with a new inventory Model S with no additional money out of pocket. I was also told that they will be handling all of the coordination with my financing bank to unwind the deal and reinstate a new loan at the same rate or better than I currently have. So now we are searching the new inventory listings to find the one we want. To throw one last wrench in the situation, the temporary registration on our current used vehicle has now expired and is unable to be renewed given the circumstances with the title so they are trying to coordinate a loaner vehicle until this is finally resolved. Thanks for everyone's input and hoping this all gets finalized smoothly!

2/20 update:

After a few back and forth emails and phone calls, Tesla is offering to replace it with a new inventory Model S with no additional money out of pocket. I was also told that they will be handling all of the coordination with my financing bank to unwind the deal and reinstate a new loan at the same rate or better than I currently have. So now we are searching the new inventory listings to find the one we want. To throw one last wrench in the situation, the temporary registration on our current used vehicle has now expired and is unable to be renewed given the circumstances with the title so they are trying to coordinate a loaner vehicle until this is finally resolved. Thanks for everyone's input and hoping this all gets finalized smoothly!

Glad to hear that Tesla is doing the right thing to resolve this for you!

2/20 update:

Just curious, why was it a lemon and who did you contact. Thank you very much. God-bless you and yours.

Reactions: rafacq
2/20 update:

Other than the inconvenience of a loaner, and your anxiety over this strange situation, it sounds like an amazingly good outcome for you! Tesla seems to be doing above what they need to do, which is very nice. Good luck with the new car.

2/20 update:

Tesla is great about buying back lemons in my experience. I bought a 2019 3 that would sporadically veer back into the original lane after starting to change lanes in autopilot. After 3 attempts to fix, they agreed to buy back. We would have been happy for a straight exchange, but they insisted on giving us our money back which we used to buy another new 3. Because they had lowered the price in the interim, we made approx $4,000 on deal.

• Love
Reactions: Reborn and jepicken
Thanks for the responses! Yeah, Tesla called me and left a voicemail on Valentine's day when I was at dinner with my wife to tell me they need to unwind the deal. I thought this had to be some kind of mistake when listening later and called back immediately to confirm they have the correct car. I could barely process the situation on the phone given the circumstances as they were explaining to me. I have had no issues with the car and absolutely love it because it was in great condition cosmetically and was happy with the deal.

I will definitely be giving them every opportunity to make this right and really hope they do, but dang this has been upsetting. I will also recommend they not call on Valentine's day with this type of news in the future... geez!
You are not entitled to an "upgrade". At most they owe a full refund and any out of pocket expenses. Nevertheless, allow them to treat you well. The Tesla folks involved would likely want to help you step up! This could work well for you if you don't play the angry victim.

2/20 update:

Frankly, this is the sort of things that make for a GREAT reputation.

Very, very glad it worked out so well for you and only hope Tesla continues this sort of behavior going forward!

I am happy to report that Tesla has gone above and beyond - this situation has been resolved! I took delivery of my brand new 2020 Model S last week!

I think I should change the title of this thread to "Tesla sold me a lemon and then made sweet sweet lemonade!"

IMG_20200314_142225.jpg

These things do happen, yes.

Whatever it is, it had to be serious for them to get ahead of the curve on it. OP if you don’t mind, send me your VIN and I’ll pull up an AutoCheck on it to see if it bleeds onto that as well or if it’s truly an internal thing.
I just bought a tesla from a dealership in TX. At the time the car fax was clean. 6 weeks after the purchase, Florida and Tesla returned signed documents of my car having lemmon law back in 2019. I have a clear blue Texas Title but No dealerships will take my car in on trade because carfax report shows the title to be branded. IDK what to do. Dealership had no idea at time of selling.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC