TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla spanked hard in Maryland

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Nilnoc, Jun 22, 2018.

1. Nilnoc

Nilnoc Member

Yup, my 3 mo Model X was stopped at a traffic light back up on East St. in Frederick. While detouring around a worse stoppage on Rt 15 North.

An F150 work truck was stopped behind me. Had previously been next to him at a red light. He was texting.

So the lane next to us started moving. But not our lane. And wham! The F150 hits me hard in the rear. We both pulled into the train station to talk. He gets out of truck, and his phone falls off his lap onto the ground and breaks. Double bad day for him. Tragic for me.

Tesla doesn’t look too too bad. Most visible thing is the lower valance is disconnected in the middle. Left reflector half popped out, but not broken. Some damage to black plastic below painted bumper. Bumper is unscathed, but any damage behind it won’t be seen until it’s removed. Ultrasonics work. Rear camera works. Lift gate is dented above the Chrome strip and by the ‘Model X’ badge. Estimate is $2,058. :mad::(

2. Skipdd

Skipdd Member

Ouch. Good luck with the repair.

3. Electroman

Electroman Active Member

Hmm.. are you missing a digit in your estimate?

• Funny x 7
    • Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  4. Xenoilphobe

Xenoilphobe Active Member

That’s just the estimate to replace the Model X badge right? Also don’t forget a diminished value estimate too on trade in.

• Funny x 4
  5. Nilnoc

Nilnoc Member

The ‘Model X’ will be replaced. The part costs $25. As does the ‘T’.

6. roblab

roblab Active Member

I am so thankful that texting is illegal in CA. hahahahaha. They text anyway. I watch for people who keep looking into their laps so I can dodge 'em. If the occifer sees someone holding a phone, it's a ticket. They text anyway. My daughter does it all the time, saying, "Oh, I'm paying attention."

I think it's an addiction.

• Like x 3
    • Love x 1
  7. mkspeedr

mkspeedr Member

The title had me super worried. Tesla spanked had me worried some crazy tricked out exotic spanked a P100D...

I wish they would make an app that used the remaining power in the battery to zap the person texting.

• Funny x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  8. scottf200

scottf200 Active Member

So sorry to hear about this. My first X was damaged in a similar manner.

How low did it hit you? I'm wondering if the bumper guard I'm now using in this thread would have stopped it? Considering hitch mounted extra bumper and brake light

9. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

...sorry to hear that:( ...and yes make sure and file a DV claim St Lucie appraisal specializes in writing Tesla DV claims for a reasonable amount considering what you will get from the others insurance ...by any chance do you have a dash cam?

• Helpful x 1
  10. scottf200

scottf200 Active Member

St Lucie ??? He is from Frederick, MD.

11. Nilnoc

Nilnoc Member

This is what hit me. Like a b 20180623_024918.jpg rick wall...

12. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

Best of luck! I was thinking from the title it was a generic bad day for Tesla in MD. But just for one car. :D

13. Nilnoc

Nilnoc Member

Sorry about the clickbait.... :rolleyes:

14. spectrum

spectrum Member

It definitely sucks but we should be grateful that it could have been a lot worse if your lift gate or rear windshield was severely damaged, or if car wasn’t drivable. I’m more concerned about the timeline to repair. Any estimates yet?

15. Nilnoc

Nilnoc Member

I don't have a dash cam, but considering the hit came from the rear, would it have done any good?

You know, I figured my resale value would take a hit, but i did not know about diminished value claims. Thank you for this information. I will contact St. Lucie on Monday.

16. Nilnoc

Nilnoc Member

Once all the parts are in, I will drop my car off on a Monday and get it back on Tuesday or Wednesday of the following week. One weekend and about 10 calendar days w/o the car.

As for when the parts get in, the estimator has ordered them. But he says. "It's Tesla, who knows how long it will take for them to ship me the parts?"

I am lucky that the car is perfectly drivable and the lift gate works. The rear end of my Model X was impressively sturdy.

17. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

Dash cam(2ch has front and rear cam) would definitely have captured the hit and make insurance claim so much easier

Here is contact info
    The St. Lucie Appraisal Company
    P.O. Box 2700
    Fort Pierce, FL 34954
    Phone: (772) 359-4300
    Fax: (772) 466-8400
    Email: [email protected]

• Like x 1
  18. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

..also contact Chris at @EVTuning for great dash cam deal ! :rolleyes::eek:

19. Barklikeadog

Barklikeadog Active Member

He probably licked his thumb and rubbed out the scuff.

20. Nilnoc

Nilnoc Member

No visible damage to the evil F150....