Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Switzerland: Technically not possible to upgrade your P90D...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, having registered my interest in eventually upgrading to a 100kWh battery, I finally received a call from Tesla over the Easter holiday. They said it was not "technically possible to upgrade my P90D (2016)" to a 100kWh battery. I'm thinking bullsh*t on that comment... they said someone else would call back to discuss the residual value on my AP1 P90D so that I could purchase a new AP2 100D. I'm pretty sure the depreciation that they're going to mention is steep, so this is likely a non-starter.

But how could this be "technically not possible"? I have air shocks, so I doubt that a heavier pack is the issue. Smells like marketing to me....

Comments?

Smells like marketing to me....

Yup. It is possible, it's just Tesla is not offering battery pack upgrades to anyone yet, so I doubt they're going to make a one-off exception if you are already considering buying a new car and taking the depreciation hit.

I think it will be quite some time (if ever*) before they offer battery pack upgrades, because they know their upscale market and they'd rather sell these people new cars than make a small margin on a battery pack upgrade which keeps them out of the new car market for several more years.

Yup. Marketing 101. :)

*I know Elon said it would happen "in a few years" but I have my doubts.

P90DL battery replacement thread. says

I was told that my Model S - AP1 P90D Ludicrous battery was upgradable to the 100 kW pack when the 100 kW version was announced. Unfortunately, I got a call tonight from Tesla telling me that this was not going to happen due to issues with the pre-refreshed bumper.

Peter, can you get word on if the bumper of all things is the reason?

P90DL battery replacement thread. says

Peter, can you get word on if the bumper of all things is the reason?
I am post-refresh, so I don't think the bumper comes into play in my case. When they do eventually call me, I will try and press them for details. It seems to me they are pressuring for the up-sell - "technically" has nothing to do with it...