TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla Switzerland: Technically not possible to upgrade your P90D...

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by Peter Greis, Apr 16, 2017.

1. Peter Greis

Peter Greis Member

So, having registered my interest in eventually upgrading to a 100kWh battery, I finally received a call from Tesla over the Easter holiday. They said it was not "technically possible to upgrade my P90D (2016)" to a 100kWh battery. I'm thinking bullsh*t on that comment... they said someone else would call back to discuss the residual value on my AP1 P90D so that I could purchase a new AP2 100D. I'm pretty sure the depreciation that they're going to mention is steep, so this is likely a non-starter.

But how could this be "technically not possible"? I have air shocks, so I doubt that a heavier pack is the issue. Smells like marketing to me....

Comments?

2. dhanson865

dhanson865 Active Member

If @wk057 can do it in his garage I'm sure Tesla can do it too. I'd just ask to speak to the next higher level of management until you get an answer that is technically correct.

3. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

Yup. It is possible, it's just Tesla is not offering battery pack upgrades to anyone yet, so I doubt they're going to make a one-off exception if you are already considering buying a new car and taking the depreciation hit.

I think it will be quite some time (if ever*) before they offer battery pack upgrades, because they know their upscale market and they'd rather sell these people new cars than make a small margin on a battery pack upgrade which keeps them out of the new car market for several more years.

Yup. Marketing 101. :)

*I know Elon said it would happen "in a few years" but I have my doubts.

4. dhanson865

dhanson865 Active Member

P90DL battery replacement thread. says

Peter, can you get word on if the bumper of all things is the reason?

5. Peter Greis

Peter Greis Member

I am post-refresh, so I don't think the bumper comes into play in my case. When they do eventually call me, I will try and press them for details. It seems to me they are pressuring for the up-sell - "technically" has nothing to do with it...

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1